The Great Catsby

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus, Aegis

The Great Catsby

Postby Amaris » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:01 pm

- common / murnasian

Amaris smiled at their companion, pleased by his optimism. They had needed a bit of that. The mood was slightly soured, though, at the mention of their home. He likely hadn’t meant in the way it had come off, and he probably wouldn’t notice unless he looked up. Their smile dropped, brows furrowed as they leaned back. The last person to be in their home had been less than favorable. And the mixed blood had only known the man for a few bits. While he had a good point about the cats becoming less comfortable, there was still that paranoia of the absolute worst.

They tried another smile - shaky, at best, but mostly forced - before turning away. “We can try for one more, give it a few bits and then I can take them back home. I don’t want to hold you from your wandering.” Their steps might have been slightly faster than before, trying to distract themselves from the small voice that was getting louder in the back of their mind. A quiet street was not something it wanted, but they were intent on defying it. Rowan couldn’t have meant what he said as the way it was worded; they’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

They needed to turn the conversation to something else. Something the two of them would be comfortable with. “Do you like it so far - Scalvoris? You said we were kind enough people, but that doesn’t always suit everyone.” They put their mind on the track of thinking up more questions to fuel the conversation. Anything that could come to mind would work, they figured. “Have you seen some of our wildlife? They’re quite something; we had a strange little - well, not little - incident with an egg. Quite interesting.”

The mixed blood found they were feeling a little better, focusing on something they cared for. They kept their eyes out for their pets, gaze shifting over street.
Amaris
Sweet Summer Child of Scalvoris

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Councilor of Natural Affairs
Renown: +115
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Medals: 1
Helper (1)

The Great Catsby

Postby Rowan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Sometimes, Rowan wondered if he only ever opened his mouth to change whatever foot was currently in there. He had a way of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, or phrasing it in such a manner that he managed to cause offence or upset without him meaning to do so. He happened to glance sideways to see their expression change, the smile falter only to return after a few moments, albeit considerably more wan than before.

"Sorry that sounded creepy as fek, didn't it? I didn't mean it like that. I mean... even if I was some weirdo who was gonna try to jump you, I'd need a ladder and the element of surprise, you know? You know, not much surprise going on if I have to say, 'Hold still a tick, lemme just get something to stand on' and then I'm sure that your cats would probably swarm me and scratch my eyes out. I'd have to be an idiot or mad, or probably both," he told them, chuckling to himself. It was a very odd sort of joke to make, the kind that could send Amaris running from him, unwilling to remain in his presence any longer or it could be the most effective icebreaker of all time. He cleared his throat a little awkwardly, rubbing at the back of his neck as he inspected the cats with sudden intense interest.

"But yeah, like I said, it's up to you. This is just as good as wandering around aimlessly, not knowing my arse from my elbow. I know the idea is to be able to find both my arse and my elbow so I can compare them, find out that they're pretty different but at least, if I do get hopelessly lost, I can save my self some stress because you can just, you know... point me."

Awkwardness had developed, awkwardness and a tense sort of silence. Of course, such a situation called for the need for him to talk incessantly, making zero effort to filter the utter shit that was coming out of his mouth. The more he talked, the more likely he was to dig his own grave and thus, when Amaris spoke up, trying to make small talk, he jumped on the question gratefully. It was good to know that he wouldn't simply continue to spout nonsense.

"Yeah, Scalvoris seems nice enough. A little bit familiar but also different in a lot of ways. More diverse, maybe more accepting of a bit of difference, even if somewhere else might hold it against you. I really haven't been here long but... yeah, I think I like it," Rowan admitted, the ghost of a smile on his lips, the young man almost sad as he continued to talk. "The kindness thing... yeah, a lot of people don't get that, they think if a person's being nice and generous to you then what's the problem? Kind people have lots of good intentions but it also means that they sort of... insert themselves into your business. They pry a little too much, care a little too much, maybe especially because they mean well. I guess, they're the unintrusive sort. Don't get too nosy, just offer help if you happen to ask for it."

He shrugged. He thought he'd answered their question pretty thoroughly, providing that he'd interpreted the mixed race individual's words correctly. However, if certain talk of kind people sounded a little obscure, the mention of wildlife particularly the "egg incident" made him wonder if he was missing out on some really elaboate joke or if things were just very, very bizarre on this island.

"I... I really haven't been here long, Amaris. I've been here in Scalvoris Town so I haven't seen a great deal of the island but still... I don't know if I want to meet this wildlife. You make it sound a bit ominous to be honest," the blond admitted, laughing goodnaturedly.
Rowan
Approved Character

Race: Human
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

The Great Catsby

Postby Amaris » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:47 pm

- common / murnasian

They wanted, in a way, to comfort Rowan and assure him that they weren’t entirely put off by his choice of words. The fact alone that he could see that it had come off as...less than favorable was enough to placate them. And it would only be polite to return the favor, wouldn’t it? But, one again, wording would be important. Gaze flickering back over to the street as the man continued talking, they thought about how best to let him know that they weren’t offended by his words (anymore, at least).

Brows furrowed in obvious concentration, they missed sight of the sleek tail underfoot and was rewarded with a hearty yowl and a quick scratch to the pants. Jerking back, they hissed softly as the feline returned the favor before realizing who it was. At this point, Amaris had to wonder if some of their pets might have seen them as no more of a lumbering oaf. The cat in question was small and easy enough to miss, and could only have been Zeth by his trademark stars. Their wandering was beginning to prove fruitful and they were feeling optimistic once more.

“Ah, well, sometimes they get a little close to town and set people off a bit. Or you might have seen some of the turtles out at shore. It’s not something to worry about, I would say. Most are harmless until you get too far out in the water or head back towards the Scaltoth Jungles.” While the mixed blood had not been subject to growing up in the comfort of an apartment much like the one they owned, they wouldn’t trade the shade of the trees they lived under for anything else. And, maybe, they were speaking a little from personal experience.

They couldn’t quite find it in themselves anymore to simply leave Rowan alone to his own devices. Cradling Zeth almost like a child, they turned to their much shorter companion with a small smile. “I really wouldn’t mind showing you around when we’ve caught them all. And you’re right; it’d probably be best to drop them off at my home. I don’t live too far, so it won’t take too long to get back.”
Amaris
Sweet Summer Child of Scalvoris

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Councilor of Natural Affairs
Renown: +115
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Medals: 1
Helper (1)