The Fire Within

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus, Aegis, Ghoul

The Fire Within

Postby Vega » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:28 am

1st Cylus 718
following: this

Vega didn't know what to do.

Or, actually, that wasn't true. She didn't know how to do what she had to. The snow was falling, heavily, and it had been since the night before so she felt safer, but she'd wondered about if she was doing the right thing by being here, where there were people and wood and sails and all sorts of flammable things. Still, surrounded by water at least. If it all went wrong, she wouldn't hesitate. She'd spent the night in the burned Inn and she knew that this was the only and best plan she had, that she was sure of, but should she even be coming back here at all? The thing was, Arlo would worry if he didn't see her and it wasn't like she could write him a letter. She wouldn't do that to him even if she could. Besides, selfishly, she needed to see him and him to see her. To know that she was alright even if she really wasn't.

But she had a plan for that, too.

So, the young woman pulled her cloak further around herself and considered that, as new arcs went, this one already sucked quite significantly. In fact, one trial in and 718 was already the worst one by quite a distance. But, she had to protect him. Because he'd want to work it out, want to say that everything would be alright and it wasn't safe. It just wasn't safe for him to be around her. For her to be around him when in any trill she could hurt him and Vega had meant every word she said to the voices in her head, she'd kill herself without a pause rather than let a child be hurt. How much more would she do, how much further would she go for him?

He'd already be worried, she knew, because she hadn't come back to the Wanderlust last night. So, she had to put him out of his misery, had to let him know that she was fine. It was fine. Everything was fine and she was going to deal with it. Except, she knew he wouldn't let that happen, so Vega had decided that she knew what she had to do.

"This is a really rather stupid idea,"

Iris, her familiar whispered into her mind, but Vega's answer was out loud. "Jog on, Feathers, I've got enough nutballs in there without you addin' to it, don't I?" Vega replied and she meant it. Voices in her head were just too much for her and if she could have she'd have forced the strangely beautiful creature to be quiet. She couldn't though, of course.

"I don't know what he sees in you"

Iris' tone was caustic, as ever, but Vega breathed in sharply like the hybrid had touched something which burned her. In a way, she had."Yeah, fair point. Well, this'll 'elp him twice then, won't it?"

"Eva, I'm sorry. I didn't mean..."

"Forget it. You're right. Shurrup, I'm here." She was, indeed, at the docks and there was their boat. Frowning deeply, Vega took on the role she knew she needed to take. Did what she knew, or believed, she needed to do. She kept that frown, wore it like armour against what she knew was to come and she made her way on to the "Wanderlust.

She had to get on and off the boat quickly, it was a risk even being here, but Vega had to pick up her things. She didn't have a cart and couldn't take one where she was going, so she'd stopped at the market and got a bag like the one she'd bought for Arlo for his birthday. The thought of it, the memory of it, made her want to cry but she was stubborn and determined and would not back down. But she didn't need to, because he wasn't here. Vega considered that he might be out looking for her but then, as she looked around she saw that his things had gone, too. Not all of them, but more of them than if he was just popping out. What did that mean?

It didn't matter, Vega thought to herself. It didn't matter, she needed to get out of here now, before her resolve broke. In this moment, Vega wished that she could read, so that she could write. But what would she write? That she loved him, but couldn't hurt him? Yet, he had to know, when he came back. He had to know or.. of course, that made sense. As she lifted her hand to her wrist, the voice of her familiar spoke.

"Why would you take it off? You love it"

Sometimes, Vega thought, there was something very ancient about Iris. Other times, she was as clueless as they came."I do. But not as much as I love 'im, an' when he sees it, he'll think that he knows."

"Why not just tell him, Eva?"

Vega put the bracelet down with trembling hands, leaving it on the table for him to find. "Because I love 'im. An' him, me. An' he won't leave or let me go, but if I stay, I'm 'urtin' him. I might kill 'im, we just don't know. I can't take that risk, because I love 'im. No shurrup, we've gotta go. Time for the next step in the plan"

The plan, as far as it could be defined as such, was that she would make her way to the Inn, pick up her sword and then go and buy the bare minimum of supplies before moving on to the mountains, where it was cold and she could get this under control. The someone she was meeting, of course, was the voices. She needed to do something, so she had to talk to them. But last time that had happened, she'd been on fire - all of her arm. The fire lived under her skin now and Vega knew she wasn't safe to be around. It wasn't much of a plan, but it was all that she had. At least, she thought as she focused on just walking away, it didn't matter that she couldn't read. She got the feeling that being in a library and researching a better plan probably wasn't the best idea. Parchment, wood, all of that stuff. No, she needed to get out of here, out of town and away from people and as quickly as possible.

1081 words
Discipline: Doing what you believe to be right.
Discipline: Ignoring your emotions
Discipline: Sometimes, being a stubborn pain in the neck helps you do what you have to

Vega
Phoenix from the flames

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +260
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medals: 16
Supporter (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1) Pioneer (1)
...ow. (1) First Love (1) First Kiss (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Legend In Waiting (1) Lol Worthy (2)
Cylus 717 Thread Challenge (1) Cylus 717 PC/Dev Challenge (1) Cylus 717 All Star (1)

The Fire Within

Postby Vega » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:42 pm

It took all of her self control to leave and she was fighting tears as she stepped off the gangplank and on to the dockside. But she had to, she knew. If she didn't protect him, he'd put himself in danger for her, and as much as he'd do that because he loved her, she couldn't let him because she felt the same right back. So, she squared her shoulders and she walked and she ignored the voice of her familiar, urging her to slow down, think about it, consider this or that. She had considered it all, last night in the burned Inn. She knew what was and what had to be and lollygagging wasn't going to do anything to help.

She made her way, after she'd bought all that she needed to, out of Scalvoris and up towards the mountains. That made sense to her, they were cold and there were rocky areas. Vega had purchased one of the bags and some strange biscuits which the woman said would keep her fed. That was a good thing as far as the biqaj was concerned. Then when she was no longer in highly populated areas, Vega strapped on her sword once more, quickly put her knives back into her boots by virtue of holding them at the sheath and then she pulled her cloak around her and put the now-filled bag on her back.

It was slow and difficult going and she missed Arlo. She didn't want to be doing this, didn't want to be here, wanted to be home, with him. The mixed race woman hadn't even considered going to see her father because he would have forbidden her or demanded to know where she was going. No, Arlo would get back to the Wanderlust, he'd see the bracelet and he'd know. It would hurt him, she knew, but that was the kind of hurt that he'd get over. Being burned alive wasn't and she'd seen what happened when her father had been burned all down one side. He still had the scars.

In the freezing conditions, it was going to be hard going, Vega knew, but that was alright. It didn't matter to her, because she had to get there. Once she was there, she could find a place to set up camp. Explore whatever was happening to her where, if she messed it up, she wasn't going to risk harm coming to anyone. So, she'd need to find a place which was rocky with a lot of exposure to the snow. It was going to be uncomfortable, she knew, but until she knew the extent of this, she couldn't risk getting too warm.

"No peg legs for me, nope nope." She smiled to herself and breathed in. The mountains were in view, of course, they always were and there, up there in those high peaks, she would be able to keep people safe. Hopefully, also, she'd be able to find out what she had to do to get rid of this thing which was possessing her - or these things - and get them out of her. That was what she had to aim for - get herself well and not a danger to anyone so that she could come back and explain to him. Explain what had happened, why she'd had to go and why she was doing this. To keep him safe, of course, but to keep everyone on Scalvoris safe, too and more than that? She knew, without a doubt that she couldn't live with herself if she hurt him. It would be unbearable to her and Vega knew that without a doubt. No, this was far from ideal but, in the situation she was in, it was the best that she could do.

So, she began to walk. It was a long trek and Vega decided that, since it was Cylus and dark all the damn time anyhow, she was just going to keep walking. A night without sleep wouldn't kill her and all she'd do if she slept was fall asleep and wake up missing him. And Bruce, of course, she thought with a smile. She'd left the bear on the bed, where he had lived since they bought the Wanderlust. It wasn't in the same league, but if she burned Bruce to a crisp, she'd be sad, so best to leave the faithful toy behind. So, ignoring the dark and the fatigue, the pain in her lower legs or the urge to just rest. Rest would come, she promised herself, when she was exhausted and guaranteed to fall asleep in trill. Because anything else was just a different, deeper kind of painful and this aching, tired feeling was preferable.

Nestled in scarf and hat and coat and cloak, ignoring everything around her, Vega walked. 804 words
Endurance: A long journey
Endurance: Walking in the bitter cold.
Navigation: Using landmarks to plan your direction.

Vega
Phoenix from the flames

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +260
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medals: 16
Supporter (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1) Pioneer (1)
...ow. (1) First Love (1) First Kiss (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Legend In Waiting (1) Lol Worthy (2)
Cylus 717 Thread Challenge (1) Cylus 717 PC/Dev Challenge (1) Cylus 717 All Star (1)

The Fire Within

Postby Aegis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:23 pm

Your Thread Review is Here!

I absolutely loved this insight into Vega, and how she deals with things. Playing the hero and martyr, doing it for his own good, hoping he'd understand despite not having enough information to do so. Her stubborn yet good nature is a work of art (as is her flurry of insults and swears). I look forward to seeing where we take this plot here soon...

Aegis
Storyteller - Rank 2
Storyteller - Rank 2

Race: Mer
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 2
Contributor of the Month (1) Storyteller (1)

Return to Scalvoris Town