• Closed • A trial and an arc, pt ii

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note, dotted in and around the island itself.

Moderators: Pegasus, Ent, Aegis

• Closed • A trial and an arc, pt ii

Postby Vega » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:42 pm

79th Zi'da 717

"U'frek's shoes, Bert, it's cold innit?" Vega spoke in a calm and friendly tone to the small stuffed bear she had with her. She was laying on the hand-crafted bench in their camp, looking up at the sky. She had a thick wool blanket wrapped over her and Vega was enjoying the view. Dusk was falling and she was watching the stars as they seemed to almost blink into existence. They were beautiful and the silver in her blood shone in response to them. "We used to do this a lot on th' ship, Bert, jus' lay down an' look at the stars, watchin' them." Arlo was off somewhere, Vega wasn't entirely sure whether he'd gone into town or hunting, but then she hadn't asked, just grinned at him and carried on with what she'd been doing at the time.

Now, laying on the bench she'd made and watching the stars appear, Vega smiled. As she had so often before, she spoke to the Immortal in question.

"Hey, Xiur, I'm watchin' yer stars. It's funny, there's this bit of time, jus' a trill really, where I'm not sure if they're there or not, an' then they are." Pulling the blanket up around her, she smiled up at the sky, addressing the Immortal directly. "I started talkin' to you an arc ago to-trial, Xiur, did you remember? Probably not you bein' an Immortal an' probably a bit busy an' all. But I did. It's my birthtrial, I'm twenty one arcs old to trial." Her grin up to the stars was, frankly, cheeky. "Don't tell Arlo, he'll tease me about bein' old."

Vega was quiet for a few moments, watching the heavens and then she spoke again. "Do you remember that time Arlo, Asari an' I went an' saved that little girl? You 'elped loads then, I 'ad to be well brave an' you really 'elped me through it." The time in question had been very difficult and Vega had spent a fair amount of time in that dark cave where she couldn't see and where she had to be a beacon of hope for the others, in prayer to Xiur. It had been very tricky time, but her faith had helped her. Specifically, her faith in him.

"So, I've been thinkin', an' I figure that that's my job in this life, you know. Hopeful. Determinedly 'opeful an' I understan' entirely that migh' mean obnoxious pain in the ass, but I'm a'right with that, too." There was no doubting it, Vega was as honest an individual as could be - sometimes a little too much. So much so, she'd caught the attention of, and companionship of a Bruxon while in Ne'haer. Henry, as she'd called him, had been her companion for a while, but when they travelled by boat, Vega had known that it was too long a journey and wouldn't be fair on the beautiful creature. She still missed him, in truth.

"Which probably means, I'm not gonna stop talkin' to you, Xiur. You know, I know I should be better at realisin' that the 'ope an' stars shine out of my blood, but sometimes, I jus' like to chat. An' you know, like I've always said, yer always welcome to chat back. I figure it must be well lonely sometimes, bein' an Immortal." That was probably why they came to Idalos and walked around a bit, like Cassion. Thinking about him made her blush as she remembered the kiss. It was not that which caused her to remember the Immortal Cassion, though. It was what he had said to her and Arlo that night

"Cassion told us, ' Travel lots, love unconditionally, work hard, and play harder. Life is too short to waste on being serious.', an I reckon that might be the best advice I've ever been given." Vega smiled in delight as a particularly bright start twinkled into life. "Better than candles on a cake like the land-living folks do." It was strange to think that she was twenty one arcs old and she pulled her soft bear into her arms. "D'ya reckon Immortals 'ave birthtrials?" Bert, unsurprisingly, was quiet on the matter.
Daughter of Sea & Stars
Vega
When you dream, I dream with you.

Race: Mixed Race
Fame: +105
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medals: 12
Supporter (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1) Pioneer (1)
First Kiss (1) Immortal Lover (1) Dreamer (1) Legend In Waiting (1)
Lol Worthy (1) Cylus 717 Thread Challenge (1) Cylus 717 PC/Dev Challenge (1) Cylus 717 All Star (1)

A trial and an arc, pt ii

Postby Basilisk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 pm

BASILISK

Bert didn't respond to Vega's question, but someone else did. "We have birthtrials, yes, but we don't celebrate them. After a millenia, the date loses meaning." a deep voice said from beside her. The man was tall, broad, dark of skin, and wearing leather armor. But while his appearance could certainly be called imposing, his demeanor was relaxed, calm. He was stretched out next to Vega, looking up at the stars above them. "You know, everyone attributes the creation of the stars to me, but they existed before I came into being. I wonder, sometimes, if my creator looked to them for guidance when she felt lost." Xiur said, his voice introspective.

Then he grinned, an infectious grin, the kind that would drive away dark feelings. "And the way you've been going in the last year, Vega, I wonder how many people will soon be looking to you for guidance." he said, grinning slightly. "You've done very well since you started praying to me. Not to say that you haven't had your struggles, or that what you've done in the past year was done without strife." he said, pausing in thought for a moment. We don't get lonely though. Part of it is prayers. We hear every one of them directed at us, big and small. We're never truly alone, for all that some of are more loath to answer prayers than others." he said, his tone wry.

He paused again for a moment, in thought. "My cousin gave you good advice. Cassion is wiser than some would like to admit, given that he spends so much time wandering about. The more serious of us tend to take offense at that." he said, grinning at some memory. Then, for the first time since his arrival, Xiur looked at Vega. "Why do you think people look to the stars for guidance, Vega? What makes them look for hope and guidance from something so far away?" he asked, his tone intent.
ImageImage
Basilisk
The Serpent King
Developer - Rank 4

Race: Prophet
Fame: 0
Office
Templates
Medals: 11
Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1)
Ambassador (1) Alpha Testing (1) One Arc Later... (1) Survivor (1)
Developer (1) Vhalar 716 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Postby Vega » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 pm

"Schizzle my snoot!!" Vega exclaimed as someone was suddenly laying next to her. She physically jumped, let out some inappropriate words in Rakahi and then realised that the person next to her was the person... the Immortal person, she'd been talking to. "Oh, knickers," she said and then blushed to the tips of her toes. "I mean. Sorry. I.. well, look at you, layin' down there an' I didn't know you was there." She had half sat up, but laid back down and cleared her throat. "You surprised me, is all. It's.. thanks for droppin' in, it's right nice to see you." She glanced at him and repressed her urge to sigh. "If I'd known you was comin', I'd 'ave brushed my hair." Her eyes, which were just about every colour under the sun in this moment, ringed with bright gold, turned thoughtful. When he talked about birthtrials, though, she wondered. "What's yours? I mean, if you don't mind tellin' me, that is. Only cos, I'd like to light a candle fer you, every arc I'm alive. If you wouldn't mind, that is." Stop talking Vega, stop talking Vega... just stop talking, she thought to herself and then wondered if he could hear her thoughts. Oh, this was getting silly.

But his words and his expression, well they chased away the doubts and concerns that she felt and Vega grinned in delight. "That's real kind of you to say. Thanks." When he said that he didn't get lonely, that they didn't get lonely, Vega had to admit to being pleased. It seemed particularly unfair for the Immortal of Hope to get lonely. It probably had sounded very silly that she was offering for him to have a chat, but in truth she knew herself well enough to know that she would always do that. It was her way.

He talked of Cassion and his wisdom, and Vega had to agree. She didn't say anything though and, when the Immortal turned and looked at her, she felt herself rather pinned to the spot as she tried to make words exit her mouth. "I.. well, I'm worried I'm gonna sound silly an' if I cause any offence, I promise you it's my gob, not my heart." Best get that out of the way first, she thought. "But they're always there, aren't they? I mean... pain, anguish, grief, guilt an' helplessness ~ they're all transitory sort of things. Even in the darkness, light shines an' it shines on us all." She pointed to one of the stars. Any one, it didn't matter. "When I was little, my Papa would tell me that we use the words 'glimmer of 'ope' cos of stars. Cos they're just tiny tiny little things, but they break the darkness. No matter 'ow much darkness they're surrounded by, they shine. They're not far away, they're constant, an' they're 'ere." With a slight shrug, she glanced at him and her uncertainty at herself, her ability to put forward words and concepts, ideas and thoughts was evident, but this was Xiur and she knew that this was probably the only chance she was going to have to speak with him, so she had to answer his question. "Long after me, an' maybe even you've gone, hope will remain, glimmerin' in the darkness. That's why we look to them, I guess."

Then, with typical Vega tact, she asked, "So, if you didn't make 'em, how comes you're the Immortal of em? Or is that a bit like askin' me 'ow come I've got red hair an' swirly eyes?" But then, with a sudden realisation Vega gasped. "Oh, U'frek's.. I mean, oops." she really had to stop using the Immortals names as exclamations, she decided. There and then. "I'm sorry. Did you want some tea or somethin'?"
Daughter of Sea & Stars
Vega

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Lol Worthy (1) Cylus 717 Thread Challenge (1) Cylus 717 PC/Dev Challenge (1) Cylus 717 All Star (1)

Postby Basilisk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:04 am

BASILISK

Xiur gave Vega an amused look at her surprised outburst, but waived away her attempt to apologize for not having noticed his arrival. "You'd be far more astute than most Mortals if you had noticed my arrival." he said, grinning slightly. At the request for his birthdate, however, Xiur grinned slightly. "We didn't count days as we do now. I was born in late Cylus, sometime, under the endless night sky." he said, his tone indicating he was remembering some fond memory from his early arcs.

He nodded at her explanation of why people looked to the stars for hope and guidance, grinning slightly. "They'll shine bright even if I am gone, yes. Even if they are, as some theorize, now tied to my being, the death of an Immortal does not mean the death of their domains. Else all forms of Companionship would have been lost long ago." he mused, his tone thoughtful. Then came her second question and Xiur grinned slightly. "I am the Immortal of Stars because the domain was gifted to me. I am the one who safeguards Hope, and the stars one way in which I do it. You are right, they show how even the smallest light can penetrate the darkness, and that is a powerful thing. There are those who are born and raised as slaves that look to the stars and find that they can still dare to hope, despite the chains that bind them." he said, sitting up as he spoke.

At her offer of tea, he smiled and nodded. "I would like some tea, yes." he said with a laugh. "It is well done of you to remember. Many would just be staring at me, forgetting how to close their mouths for the surprise." he said, his tone showing his amusement. After a moment though, he looked at Vega again. "And why do you find yourself so compelled to bring that hope to others?" he asked, his tone genuinely curious.
ImageImage
Basilisk
The Serpent King
Developer - Rank 4

Office
Templates
Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1)

Postby Vega » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:31 pm

He didn't seem to think that her answer was too stupid and meant that she had to be squished on principle, which Vega considered was a good thing. Towards the end of Cylus was his birth-trial, though they didn't count time the same way? "I'll pick a date, then, if that's a'right with you an' remember it then. Light a candle for ya, an' tell you I'm thinking of you." It seemed like the right thing to do to her and so she asked, making sure that he was happy with it. When he sat up and spoke about slaves looking up at the stars and feeling hope, Vega nodded. There was something about the glimmering, glittering things.

He said yes to the tea, and Vega got up and got busy. "Well, I've gotta be 'onest, I'm a bit inclined to standin' an' starin', but I mean, I guess I was talkin' to you." She smiled to him, getting the tea ready. As she brought the cup over, he asked her a question and Vega frowned slightly in thought. Then, she answered. "I'm twenty one today, an' we've never celebrated my birthday. My mother died givin' birth to me, an' it would be real bad luck to celebrate a birth which brought a death. Biqaj superstition, I guess." Arlo certainly hadn't been one bit impressed, she thought to herself and smiled slightly. However, she continued her explanation to Xiur. "But every arc, my papa an' me, we'd go sit on the deck together, jus' the two of us, wrapped up in blankets together, an' he'd tell me that he was grateful to you that I was born. Then, we'd pick a star for my mother, an' I'd talk to 'er. It was better than any party or any of them other traditions." It was why, Vega explained, she'd started talking to Xiur on this trial last arc, and as she put it now, "an' just not really shut up since." She'd grown up talking to him and she'd decided, the arc she left home, that she had to, "put my nels where my gob is, really. "

Stopping, though, suddenly, she looked at Xiur and a deep frown crossed her face. "I became a dreamwalker a while ago. But my boyfriend, Arlo, 'e's one of Jesine's chosen an' 'as been since before I met him. He's been in a lot of my dreams, pulled me out of some bad ones, too. But I dreamed with this guy, I don't know his name. Tall bloke, dark hair. Broody eyes and kind of a bad boy vibe goin' on. Handsome. He said he'd stabbed you to me, in a dream." She watched the Immortal in interest. "I was 'is daughter in that dream, before I learned to walk.He said we were goin' to Etzos, cos they'd revere him there, glorify 'im for what he tried to do." She frowned then and looked at the Immortal with a very genuine expression. "Cos if you need me to go give 'im a good talkin' to, I can do that."
Daughter of Sea & Stars
Vega

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Postby Basilisk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:50 am

Xiur smiled and nodded at Vega's offer to pick a date an light a candle for him. It was well done of her to think of it, and he appreciated her kind heart. The Immortal let out a small laugh when she admitted to being inclined to staring and gaping, but since she had started talking first, she hadn't. He took the tea Vega gave him, the listened quietly to her story, smiling slightly at the comment on biqaj superstitions. "Even we cannot say for sure what is and isn't superstition." he said, his voice showing some amusement. "Even my kind do things for the strangest of reasons, after all." he said, his amusement growing into a laugh.

Then she spoke about the man who had stabbed him and grimaced. "A man we brought to stop a reckless, mad gamble that did great harm, though we cannot say for sure what the intentions of the perpetrators were. And, as it turned out, a villain in his own right." he said with a deep sigh. "That he's in Etzos though, that is...interesting. The Etzori do not think kindly of the Immortals, so we do typically visit their city." he said, before looking up at Vega's offer and shaking his head. "No, I would not wish you undertake that task. He was right, the Etzori would revere him for his actions, and many would be violently protective of him. It would be highly risky of you to go to speak to him in criticism of his actions in Oscillus." he said, his tone firm before he smiled. "I do not doubt your fire, Vega, and from what I understand, you are not unskilled. This is a task I would hesitate to give to any one person, barring a very few." his tone solemn.

"However, I do thank you for telling me where he's gone to ground. It's been in my thoughts for some time to track that one down. I would know his motivation, if nothing else." he said, looking into the middle for distance for a moment, before he brought himself back to the present with a smile, taking a sip from his tea. "However, back to more immediate matters." he said, leaning forward. "You bring hope to many, Vega. I would see you continue to do so, if you are willing. And I would see you be better equipped to handle the challenges that are sure to come in the future, if you will accept my aid." he said, his tone intent.
ImageImage
Basilisk
The Serpent King
Developer - Rank 4

Office
Templates

Postby Vega » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:42 pm

His kind did things for strange and unusual reasons? That might be the case, Vega thought but in a rare moment of self awareness she realised that 'ohhh, wotcha mean?' probably wasn't sensible as a question. It would be a bit like a gnat questioning a tree, she reckoned. She grinned in pleasure though when he seemed pleased that she'd told him. That was good. "I mean, it migh' jus' have been a dream, mightn't it? But, I dreamed with 'im a couple of times, an' I always knew that 'e'd done that by the end. He told me. Dreamers don't do that sorta consistency, unless it's true." So she had discovered later on, since learning to dreamwalk, anyhow. Still, she was glad she'd told him, and if it was useful then she'd be even more glad.

He considered what he was going to do and then, Xiur turned back to her. She brought hope to many? Probably only those who longed for a future with less h sounds in it, she thought, but didn't say. She was blushing, she realised, at his kind words and her smile was, very unusually for her, rather shy. She nodded her head when he asked if she was willing and then he asked if she was willing to accept his aid? Vega's eyes shone a solid gold at those words.

"I can be a right temperamental cow, you know. Well, you probably do, but I'll do anythin' you need me to, anythin' you want. I'd like to leave the world a bit of a better place for 'avin' 'ad me in it. " She shrugged slightly and blushed a little more. "I'm 'onored by you even comin' 'ere an' talkin' to me. An' I'll do better by you in the future. Be less grouchy." She could be, there was no doubt. "But I've talked to you all my life, an' walkin' in yer name is a given. So, any aid you see fit to give me is an 'onour an' I'd be 'appier than a pig in sh...." She cringed slightly, her mouth almost, almost running away with her. "Than a very 'appy pig. I am 'appier than that pig, cos you came an' 'ad a chat." She shouldn't be allowed to talk to important people, she decided. Especially not important Immortal ones. The last one had grabbed her and kissed her. Looking at Xiur with absolute honesty, she said, "I really don't know why I'm talkin' about pigs, but I'd be ever so 'onoured. Thank you. Really."
Daughter of Sea & Stars
Vega

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Postby Basilisk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:12 pm

Xiur nodded at Vega's comment about dreams and consistency. "Dreams are...bizarre. Most are nonsensical and chaotic, a reflection of the dream realm itself. If something is consistent in them, it's important to the dreamer. It's not confirmation, no, but it's a solid enough lead that I plan to have someone quietly investigate." he said, his tone thoughtful.

At Vega's comment that she could be temperamental, Xiur let out a huff of laughter. "One of my sisters takes the form of a giant sea monster and deliberately causes storms because she's pissy. I'm not in a position to judge anyone on whatever temper issues they have." he said, grimacing slightly as he spoke. Fortunately, none of the rest of his family was like Chrien, and most were on his side of the Immortal War. He smiled and raised an eyebrow at Vega's brief lapse of propriety, but he honestly didn't mind. He wasn't like many of his siblings to take on the trappings of a king or emperor.

When she accepted though, he smiled and leaned forward, holding out his hand for hers. When she put her hand in his, he smiled and a surge of Power ran through Vega's body, empowering the half-blood. Once the surge had passed, Xiur leaned back in his chair and sipped his tea. "The Blessing you bear now is called Nalos. In addition to helping you to inspire hope, it also aids in navigation and other things. It will grow in power as you grow as a person." he said, his tone cheerful. "And unless I'm mistaken, at least one of those is useful to you."
ImageImage
Basilisk
The Serpent King
Developer - Rank 4

Office
Templates

Postby Vega » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 am

He didn't squish her flat at the pig comment, for which Vega was more than grateful. He could have, and perhaps even some of the other Immortals would have. Of course, most of the Immortals who were tense about things like that wouldn't have been answering her prayers, no matter how much she talked to them. At least she'd avoided 'Xiur's perky nips!' as an exclamation she thought and that was probably a very, very good thing. It was strange, really, Vega thought. It was her birthday, she was 21 arcs old to-trial and, as ever, she had not celebrated it. She never did and, in truth, Vega wasn't sure that she ever would. Vega was very happy that she'd been born, but her birth had caused a death and that seemed like it was too important to ignore. Arlo, of course, thought no such thing and she'd had all sorts of bother getting him to not celebrate to-trial.

But Xiur's sister...? Vega smiled and nodded. "All reverence to the Queen of Storms." Gotta respect the storm, that was basic to her and all biqaj whose home was, or had ever been, the oceans. What must it be like, she wondered - was it like her talking to a bug, him talking to her? Did he feel like she was a bug? Maybe. Compared to him, she probably was.

Then, he smiled and held out his hand and Vega placed hers into his. His touch was warm, gentle and then she felt something unlike anything she'd ever felt before. Her eyes widened, flooding gold and then he sat back and sipped his tea. Vega looked at him and breathed out, not quite sure that she could speak for a moment, but Xiur granted her that time as he drank and watched her. Then, when she could form words, she looked at him and spoke in a quiet, almost thoughtful tone. "Thank you. I'm sorry in advance for all the times I mess it up, but I promise you, I'll do my best with every trill in every bit an' every bit in every trial."

She looked at him and grinned, then sat down. "It means a lot, is what I'm tryin' to say. Thanks for the faith in me." She nodded her head, thinking about what it meant. It was a responsibility, she didn't doubt, but for the young woman who had never fitted it ~ admitted often made worse by her own focus on that ~ it meant a lot to be chosen. So, she smiled and vowed to herself that she'd make him the proudest he could be. Even if she was a bug, she thought with a smile. She'd be the best bug.
Daughter of Sea & Stars
Vega

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Return to Surrounding Waters & Landmarks