• PM To Join • [Eastern Trench]The teaching boat

A settlement east of Rynmere across a stretch of water called 'the eastern trench' broken into three regions: Welles, Oakleigh, and Berwick.

Moderators: Plague, Djinn, Muse

• PM To Join • [Eastern Trench]The teaching boat

Postby Sintih » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:57 am

54th of Zi'da, Arc 717
The Hop, Skip and Jump heading to Welles
Eastern Trench, about a break from Cyrene Bay

hey had left two trials after the big charity event. Tristan had finished all his business before the event, which pleasantly surprised Sin. He hadn't expected the trial to come where business came before pleasure for the infamous Tristan Venora. By the 53rd trial of the season they were in Andaris where they had taken a one trial stop to acquire some supplies necessary for the duchy and the estate and Sin had taken the time to check in on his place. Apart from a few seasons of dust, everything looked in order. He collected what little remained of his old paperwork and notes and stuffed them in his pack. They had set out the trial after with one of the ships frequenting the route between Rynmere and Welles and Pike. Sin was glad to be away from the chain of meetings, gatherings and the large charity event at the end.

Despite his job being nothing more than following the Duke and standing around until the Duke decided to move around again, Sin was exhausted. His asterism had been working overtime the past few trials, it seemed, pulsing weakly in his chest as it tried to get his extremities to light and warm up. He needed a holiday or bask a few nights in a row in the light of Uleuda. For now, he had to content himself with the light of Idalos sun, or what little of it was present in this cold season. It wasn't the worst of the season yet, the end of Zi'da got much colder still, but Sin stood shivering on the deck, trying to catch some fresh air before going back below decks. Lianne was with Ayla, looking after her, and Iemes was wherever Lianne was and Thet was asleep, as far as Sin knew.

Standing at end of the ship, hands on the railing, watching Rynmere in the distance, Sin's mind wandered. He hadn't seen Yana in quite some time now, heard nothing from her except the letter that had come with the books he'd put on his shelf. He still hadn't started on them. As Yana came up, Sin's thoughts went to her promotion and job, wondering if they were in jeopardy now that she'd been gone for some time already. Perhaps in an attempt to warm up a little more his mind drifted to other things regarding Yana. His memory was short lived the boat seemed to take a bit of a jump and Sin had to grab the railing to keep from going down. His attention was in the present until he deemed it safe for him to unfocus once more.

As a steward, Yana had quite a few responsibilities but Sin imagined that the job came with quite a few perks as well. He wouldn't know as he'd never gotten that far. Perhaps in the future, a few more promotions away, he would be required to call her Lady Yana instead. He was pretty sure she wouldn't like that much but then again, there were enough stories in the Iron Hand of knights whose Lord rank had gone straight to their head. How many of those were actually real Sin didn't know. But he hoped none of them would feature Yana in the future. The ship jumped a second time and Sin felt his feet coming off the deck for a trill before landing with a thud once more. Perhaps this was not the best place to stand while the waves got more unruly.

Slowly, but surely, Sin made his way from the back of the ship towards the stairs leading down, keeping one hand on the railing at all times. There was a part where he had to wait and guess for the right moment to cross as the railing went ahead and he had to, somehow, make it to the middle of the ship. Once he got below decks, the lack of wind cutting into him helped to warm him up a little bit. Here, with walls on both sides, Sin managed to advance much more easily and he passed the various cabins the captain used to transport passengers. Sin and the other guards shared one room together while Lianne, Ayla and Tristan shared another. He peeked into his own room quickly and saw Thet sleeping like a baby, not even aware of the rough waters they were on as his hammock swayed softly with the waves.

Sin took of his cloak and tossed it on his bed, revealing his usual leather armor overtop simple gray and brown clothes. No more fancy Olive colored clothes for quite some time. Across from them, the door to Tristan's room was closed and Sin rapped his knuckles against the wood quickly. "Ser?" He opened the door slightly and peeked his head in. "Do you have a moment?" Sin gave him a tired, but friendly, smile from the door as he looked over the room. It seemed the waves were calming down a bit. Lianne and Ayla weren't here, probably somewhere below in the hold playing while Iemes looked after them, or Lianne. Tristan's room was much larger than the one he shared with the other two men but not by much. Iemes did also take up a lot more space than Lianne or Ayla.
Sintih
Approved Character

Race: Yludih
Profession: Mercenary guard for the Duke of Oakleigh
Fame: +58
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Medals: 4
Story of the Month (1) Painting With Words (1) One Arc Later... (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)

[Eastern Trench]The teaching boat

Postby Tristan Venora » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:01 am

Tristan hated the sea. He had thought that he would get used to it after travelling to Rynmere once per season for the better part of an arc, but the opposite was true. He had never been that sea-sick before. When Faith had still been his slave, and they had travelled to Ne’haer together, he had climbed into the crow’s nest to get away from all the terrible water which had helped to some extent, but they wouldn’t let the duke of Oakleigh climb into the crow’s nest. Supposedly he was too important, and they were worried about him falling to his death.

So he did the only thing that he could do without miraculously acquiring a teleportation device that would allow him to bypass the journey. While Lianne and Ayla who fortunately hadn’t inherited his tendency to get sea-sick explored the ship and played together, he was lying in his bed in his cabin because he couldn’t see the sea from there. There was a metal bucket on his chest that he regularly emptied the contents of his stomach into. Not that there was a lot left to empty into the bucket – he had lost his appetite even though he usually loved to eat.

When he heard a knock on the door, he murmured something that was pretty much unintelligible, retched and then punched his pillow repeatedly because he was so frustrated and unhappy with his current situation. And then he abruptly sat up which made him a little dizzy, hid the foul smelling bucket under his bed and opened the little window to let a bit of fresh air in.

Maybe it had something to do with Ayla. He didn’t want Ayla to see him like that and worry about him!

When the door was being opened, and he saw Sintih peeking his head in, he let out a disappointed sigh and wondered if he should grab his bucket and start to throw up again.

He was still sick.

Reaching under his bed would be a lot of work though, and it would likely make him dizzy again, so he decided to let it be, tried his best to keep the contents of his stomach where they belonged and asked, “What can I do for you, Sintih?”
Tristan Venora
Approved Character

Race: Human
Profession: Duke of Oakleigh
Fame: +335
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Medals: 23
Character of the Month (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Beta Bot (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1) Pioneer (2)
Hoarder (1) Right In The Feels (1) Changed (1) Starting A Family (1)
Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1) Puppet Master (1)
Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (2) Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)
Holiday Event 2016 (1)

Postby Sintih » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:12 am

intih immediately noticed the smell of sick as he peeked his head in. The Duke of Oakleigh wasn't much of a Duke while being on a ship. When they'd crossed over to Rynmere to get to the charity event, Sin had noticed Tristan's problem but Lianne had told him she'd taken care of it, whatever that meant. "The boat doesn't agree with you, ser?" Sin stepped into the room and closed the door behind him. He was glad the window was open even if it did cool the room down even more. Ships were not known for their ability to keep the heat in. The disappointed sigh hadn't passed Sin by either. The Duke was most likely too occupied with not throwing up that he allowed other aspects of himself to slip.

Perhaps Sin could try and talk the Duke's mind away from the ship and the ocean around them. He didn't really want to give him advice on how to deal with it as he didn't know how Tristan would react in this situation. Talking about other things did seem like a good way to distract him. Tristan had never shied away from it before. "I just wanted to talk a bit. We didn't get much opportunity during our stay in Rynmere." It was strange, to come down from the distance between a Duke and his bodyguard to... well, whatever distance there could possible be between a sick man and a healthy man trying to keep him from thinking about just how sick he is.

Sin quickly went over the events that had happened, trying to pick out the one most enjoyed by the Duke. His thoughts quickly fell on one particular meeting. "You met with a lot of people during the charity. Did you manage to spend some time on pleasure or was it all business?" Sin knew very well the ratio between business and pleasure for the Duke. Between him personally being present with the Duke for some of it and reports from Lianne, Thet and Iemes, Sin had an exact overview of every break of the Duke's whereabouts and who he was with. How true Lianne's reports were was something that remained in question as her loyalties were with Tristan directly and not with Sin first, like the rest of his company. He allowed the Duke to reply and put his mind to something else besides the waves and the ship. He listened, combining reports and memories with the Duke's words.

"Lianne told me about your meeting with Celeste Andaris, among other nobles. Did w-you manage to make the connection you were hoping to make?" Sin almost slipped up. He wasn't yet embedded enough into the big picture in Oakleigh to be able to use we here so he quickly corrected himself. Not yet, at least. Sometimes he got ahead of himself. As they were talking, Sin had constantly been shifting his feet to keep his balance with the waves and slowly walked over to one of the other beds in the room. He sat himself down on the edge of it, not intruding too much on whoever's sleeping space this was.
Sintih
Approved Character

Race: Yludih
Profession: Mercenary guard for the Duke of Oakleigh
Fame: +58
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Medals: 4
Story of the Month (1) Painting With Words (1) One Arc Later... (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)

Postby Tristan Venora » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:44 am

“That’s the understatement of the arc!“ Tristan replied. He was, very briefly, tempted to grab his pillow and throw it at Sintih because everything was getting on his nerves right now, and Sintih wasn’t Ayla, the only person that he actually wanted to talk to, even though he had to admit, he had really cool eyes. A moment later he realized that taking his anger out on his bodyguard wouldn’t be a good idea though. His position was still somewhat precarious, there were, quite possibly, people that wanted to kill him, and besides, Sintih hadn’t actually done anything wrong. It wasn’t his fault that he felt as if he had been cursed by Lisirra who was the Immortal of Pestilence and quite possibly Ayla’s mother … or was it?

He thought about it for a moment, came to the conclusion that no, it probably wasn’t Sintih’s fault, sat up a little straighter and tried to look a little more like a duke … with very limited success, despite arcs of acting classes. “I hate this boat!” he complained and held his stomach. “In fact, I hate all boats. At first I thought the movement of the boat made me sick, but I think it’s the sight of all that water. I don’t like being near water! How do you manage to be so calm, Sintih? Is it some sort of secret Eidisi thing?”

Normally Tristan was very concerned with his appearance and how people perceived him, but at the moment he didn’t care. He felt miserable, and he looked miserable – although there might have been the hint of a smile for a moment as Sintih asked him if he had managed to spend some time on pleasure. “Oh yes! There was this incredibly beautiful woman. She was a noble as well – and even unmarried, as far as I know!” he revealed – as if him being interested in another noble was a rare occurrence – which, in fact, it was. Faith, the first woman he had ever truly loved, had been his slave, and Ayla’s mother … well, as far as the public was concerned, she had been a commoner or even another slave. He had come to the conclusion that revealing that he had (unknowingly) slept with an evil Immortal wouldn’t be conductive to his or his daughter’s wellbeing.

“Her name’s Valeria Burhan”, he revealed. Sintih probably already knew. Due to his being sea-sick, Tristan’s memory didn’t work perfectly at the moment though. “She’s Elyna Burhan’s cousin, I think. I made a sculpture of Elyna once. She was nice – Elyna, I mean. I’m pretty proud of the sculpture as well though. Did you know that Elyna and my slave Faith once rode a dragon? It landed in front of my old house, burned a tree down and scared my neighbor! I wonder how Mrs. Delner is doing. I should invite her to Oakleigh sometimes”, he murmured. He missed the old woman.

“I … I think so”, Tristan replied as Sintih asked about Celeste Andaris. He was so busy thinking about the charity gala and his meeting with the Baroness that he forgot that he was supposed to be sick for a moment – only to suddenly remember it again. He swallowed hard. For a moment there was a really disgusting taste in the back of his throat. “I thought that I would have to convince her to accept Ayla, but she did not have a problem with her. I thought that she would be cold and arrogant, but she seemed like a really nice person. She adopted a girl even though she’s capable of having children. I’ve never seen a noble woman do something like that before!”

His eyes shimmered brightly. Celeste had obviously left quite an impression on him – even though she had interrupted his meeting with Valeria and been kind of mean to her.

“What about you? What did you do during the gala? Did you really spend all the time guarding me? Do you ever have fun?” He’d been wondering about that. Tristan found it hard to imagine what Sintih’s life was like sometimes because he was so different from him.
Tristan Venora
Approved Character

Race: Human
Profession: Duke of Oakleigh
Fame: +335
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Medals: 23
Character of the Month (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Beta Bot (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1) Pioneer (2)
Hoarder (1) Right In The Feels (1) Changed (1) Starting A Family (1)
Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1) Puppet Master (1)
Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (2) Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)
Holiday Event 2016 (1)

Return to Eastern Settlement