• Closed • Linguistic Relativity (Pegasus)

Kai applies to conduct his own research

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Race: Eídisi
Profession: Researcher/Student
Renown: 154
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Linguistic Relativity (Pegasus)

31st Day of Ashan,
718th Arc
The walk to the Dean’s office would, for some people, feel like a long one. Most students only went there if they had committed transgressions of such a great magnitude that only the most senior officials in the Academy could deal with them, or, like Virikai, a student was applying for funding to complete their own research. Both were frightening concepts, but Virikai took it easily in his stride. It was like his whole life had been leading up to this moment. Well, no, this was just another step towards his ultimate success, and that was exactly how he viewed it.

His project was an ambitious one, and a voice in the back of his head, his father’s voice, told him his proposal would not be accepted - he had only just recently completed his Certificate in Medicine, and was proposing this research in order to gain his Diploma. His knowledge of research methods, whilst somewhat competent, was by no means near to par for this endeavour, even if his ability in medicine far surpassed the level he was currently working towards.

But Virikai had spent a number of trials - arcs, really - squashing that small inner voice. He was intelligent enough, he was capable of anything. He was worthy of Yvithia’s blessing, of her favour, adoration. Of honour.

Trandino Adarius, Dean of the Institute of Science, was a medical man, though he was more focused on the sub-category of herbalism. Virikai was more interested in Neurology, obviously, but the man was a Dean, covering all fields under his domain, so he would at least have some idea of what Virikai was suggesting.

The easiest challenge, he supposed, would be to convince Trandino that joint supervision, with some support from an academic in the Institute of Languages and Linguistics. The Viden Academy loved inter-departmental working… even if some of the academics from other departments were a bit… stiff. But it was necessary for his project: though Virikai was interested in the neurological applications of his hypothesis, he needed expertise from knowledgeable linguists as well. The problem was that, while Trandino knew about the Facility of Retrospective Analysis, Virikai doubted that many of the other Deans, or academics from other Institutes, would share that knowledge - the need for linguists to be privy to it, up until now, was small. Part of his proposal would potentially involve the FRA research subjects, where he could find multiple children from all races who had been raised with the Ancient Tongue as their native language - the perfect test environment.

The proposal had been submitted some trials ago, and the panel, if, indeed, it was a panel, would have had the chance to read over it before arranging this meeting. Virikai himself had prepared himself for whatever question they could come up with. Reaching the door, he took a deep breath before knocking on the door and entering the room.
Research Question:
Are an individual's thoughts and actions determined by the native language or languages said individual speaks?

Method:
Pilot study of human, ellune and eídisi people raised in Viden, each of whose parents raised them with different, or multiple native languages (Common, Leni and Ancient Tongues). The study aims to attract five participants of each language group from these different races. It will involve descriptive analysis over periods of observation and communication with each participant.
word count: 571
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Linguistic Relativity

It was a difficult political situation to be in, there was no doubt, but one did not get to be the Dean of an Institute in Viden Academy, the very pinnacle of education and research, without being savvy in the extreme. Trandino Adarius had navigated the choppy waters of politics for a long time and he had no intention of allowing his basic stance to fall now. For Viden, for the Academy and for Trandino Adarius. Those were his motivators and he kept his focus on them. "Enter," he called as the sound of rapping came upon his door.

"Ah, come in." Lord Talius the younger. He was a promising student, but he was here as a student and, as such, Trandino Adarius was in the position of authority. "Please, come in and sit down." Virikai was ushered to a seat opposite the Dean, across his desk. The top of the desk was pristine, ordered and certainly told a lot about the Dean himself. No dust marred the smooth wooden surface and Trandino sat back in his comfortable chair and watched as Virikai entered. There was no doubt that Kai was being scrutinized - every aspect of him.

There was no preamble, no chatty moments. Such was not needed, not between academic. "You are here to discuss your proposition." If Virikai had been expecting a panel, certainly no such was forthcoming it seemed. Also, there was that word. Proposition. What that meant was somewhat open to interpretation, of course. "It is interesting, but there are issues which need to be discussed." He steepled his fingers together and paused for a half bit. It wasn't so much that he was letting Kai stew as he was putting together his words, his thoughts. Trying to explain clearly and appropriately.

"In order to proceed with this discussion, before we can even hope to move forward, I need to ask you to clarify for me what those issues are." The Dean had no intention of listing the problems for Kai, he wanted to know what the young Lord Talius would say in response. "So, in your own time and words, please tell me what you see as all the reasons why I might say no to this?"

If it was an unorthodox way to open the conversation, Trandino Adarius did not seem to think so. He simply gave the slightest of smiles and waited to hear Virikai's answer.
word count: 407
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The Talius scion did not know Trandino Adarius well. They had met in passing, of course, at various Academy and political functions - he probably knew the man better than any other student at his low level of study, but they had definitely not spent breaks upon breaks conversing. Regardless, the Dean of the Institute of Science had a reputation that proceeded him, and he did not disappoint on this occasion. Quick and to the point, no needless phatics where they would inevitably start talking about the weather (a favourite topic for the Videnese) in order to settle Virikai in before getting to the point of the meeting.

Though his brisk manner was appreciated (for Virikai hated few things more than he did inane small talk), the young lordling was under in illusions that Adarius had jumped straight in for his benefit. It was his way. The man remained sitting and, behind the desk, did not take up much space, but she filled the space with sheer presence. It was intimidating, to say the least... an experience Virikai was largely unfamiliar with. He bowed his head, returning his own polite greeting as he took his seat.

I can list more reasons this proposal is a risk to you than it would be of benefit, not least because it is me proposing it.” If the question surprised him - which it did - he did his best not to show it. “I have only just completed my Certificate, and have no higher learning experience than that. I am the biggest risk to this project, with my own inexperience.” He said nothing to counteract this argument, nothing about his own skills: it was not what Ardarius has asked. Even if he desperately wanted to - he was not accustomed to showing such humility and even saying it felt self-depreciating and wounded his pride.

There is the additional risk of... participants...” Virikai stumbled over the last word, nearly saying ‘subjects’. “As you know, the Facility of Retrospective Analysis offers us a prime source of diversity to study, and is the original inspiration, however my current research there will either suffer with this undertaking, or this new proposal might. There is the chance of my on bias in any stages, from design all the way through to experimentation and analysis.” Though, of course, he budding academic believed he could compartmentalise. He said nothing of his own time management skills in this undertaking, fully under the belief he could organise his time appropriately. “There is also the minor risk that the Facility might be exposed, as is always the risk when new research is conducted with the Facility as a source of information.

Falling silent for a moment or two, Virikai considered the question more deeply. “Linguistics is not my field. Though I have received offers of... collaboration with more experienced academics,” the lordling almost rolled his eyes at the memory of the vapid Scalvorian Professor, “I have not made moves to source supervision from a linguist, which would also be required. Inter-Institutional research is very valued here, but there are always risks there, too, with potentially conflicting agendas. I also do not know do any linguists who are aware of the Facility of Retrospective Analysis, though you might have different information in that regard. To my knowledge, there has never been need for their active involvement. Until now.
word count: 562
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Linguistic Relativity

Trandino Adarius listened, attentively, to Virikai's answer. He seemed to be just ever so slightly pleased with it, in fact. Like it was what he was expecting and more than that, also. Which, to a large extent was true. The young Talius lordling had answered more clearly and fulsomely than Trandino had, perhaps, expected. That was good and it meant that the student wouldn't be summarily booted from the room. However, there were still issues and Trandino looked at Virikai for a few trill.

Which turned in to a bit and the Professor looked at Virikai with an unwavering, judgemental gaze. Two full bits passed and not a word was spoken in the room, all that happened was that Trandino Adarius examined Virikai like he was a specimen in a jar. Then, Trandino sat back and he pressed his hands together as he considered the situation before him. Tapping his fingers together he sighed and, finally, when he seemed to have finished his exhaustive staring, he spoke.

"So, you know all these reasons, good reasons in fact, why I would say no." He nodded. "It is good, you have considered them each. Some are more problematic than others, of course, but all are problems." Then, he leaned forward and looked at Virikai with his eyes boring into the young lordling. There was no doubt that this was Trandino Adarius at his finest, his sharpest.

His most ruthless.

"You know these things, you have thought about them. Considered them. Yet you have not solved them." He gestured to the proposal. "There is no proposal to overcome any one of those situations in that document. Therefore, logic dictates that there are a limited number of possible truths." As he spoke in clipped, curt tones, he counted the possibilities off on his fingers.

"Perhaps, you had not considered them until I asked you, assuming that I would never look for a reason to say no," possibility number one did not seem to please him but then, the ones following were accompanied by expressions equally unamused. "It is possible, of course, that you knew them but assumed I am foolish enough to overlook them or, maybe you had considered them to be my responsibility to deal with, not yours." His eyes did not waver as he gave those possible truths.

"Any of those will have you leaving this office with a resounding no ringing in your ears and a significant damage done to your academic reputation. In its current fledgling state, it would be most unfortunate. So I am hoping that the truth is the fourth, and final, option." Trandino Adarius spoke in calm, quiet tones. "That you have come to me with proposed solutions to each of those problems. Please, let me hear each solution." As though he was fully expecting it, Adrarius sat back and waited to see what the boy in front of him would pull forward.

It had better be good.
word count: 495

Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

He wanted to squirm under Ardarius’ hard gaze. Wanted to, but didn’t. He had been better trained than that, and managed, just about, to keep his expression schooled into the most neutral one he could maintain. Whether he succeeded or not was another matter entirely, especially as the silence lingered for longer than he had expected.

When the man opposite finally spoke, the lordling bristled slightly, unable to maintain his calm exposure. He caught himself before his expression contorted entirely, but there were visible signs of annoyance for a moment. “You asked to hear of the concerns I have with this proposal, Sir,” Virikai replied, his words sharp at first, but by the end he had regained control, and he continued, “Not the solutions I have thought about to reduce the chances of the project being unsuccessful. I am happy to explain further.

My own inexperience in the true world of academia is not something easily solved without external instruction or support. However, I have strong professional relationships with a number of scholars, some of whom work in the Academy alone, and others I work with in the Facility of Retrospective Analysis. It is no hard stretch to find a suitable supervisor who would be willing to work with me on this project.” When he had supplied this problem to the Dean, it had not been because he genuinely thought his participation in this research would be a risk to the outcome. Merely that he was trying to prove his self-awareness. He was not experienced, relative to his colleagues, but he was also to a green child with grandiose ideas. “The fact that I have been conducting research as an Assistant for a number of arcs now, and have recently proven my worth and been promoted to Researcher within the Facility is also of note.

Thinking back over the last season, Virikai’s mind turned to when he had met an abhorrent, self-serving professor in Scalvoris. “Professor Hamilton-Smith, a renowned scholar in many medical circles, has also expressed an interest in the project I have proposed. I met him just this season past and believe he is… enthusiastic about the idea of collaboration with me.” If not the project itself, Virikai thought, but did not say. “this not only provides a further solution to my own inexperience, but also serves as an option as to where we will source the participants required. Scalvoris is more diverse than Viden and, if this pilot study yields significant results, we may expand into a more expansive study with the help of our colleagues in the Scalvoris Campus.

Virikai fell silent for a moment as he retraced their conversation, trying to remember what points he had already mentioned which needed a solution provided. “Bias is a risk in any experiment, and there is little that can be done to mitigate. The researcher cannot be blind to the participants, as physical biology is enough to denote race and expected native language. In this, this is where I had planned to discuss the practicalities with a supervisor, so can offer no specific solution.

Finally, the risks of my own involvement with the Facility, are ones with no easy solution. I am only a few seasons into an extensive research project spanning arcs with the Facility, and may not be relieved of those duties without risking the stability of that project. If that is unacceptable to you, then I must apologise for wasting your time. However, I am well aware of my own limits and am also confident in my ability to compartmentalise. It is worth noting that it was this other project, a particular moment in an experiment, which led me to the conclusion that the integrity of this other project may actually be compromised by this lack of knowledge about the relationship between cognition and language. Or even, dare I say it, the innateness of language.” But that was another project entirely, the suggestion that he wanted to lock a child away in a room for arcs on end without true, meaningful, contact from another sentient being just to see what happened.
word count: 691
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Linguistic Relativity

In the brief time that he snapped, that his control slipped, Virikai was already losing. One perfect eyebrow raised at the young Lordling's loss of control and Trandino Adarius very obviously noted it. Not only did he note it, he sat back and put his fingers together, watching with interest. Like he watched a specimen in a jar. Virikai put forward his argument, first his solution for his own inexperience and lack of academic credibility. Then, he suggested a collaboration with one Hamilton-Smith and Trandino allowed himself the luxury of a slight frown of disapproval at the name. The young man in question had seemed so bright but had fallen into obscurity since arriving on Scalvoris. There were those who said that he'd been eclipsed by much brighter minds, but reports were that the man was coming apart at the seams. Still, Trandino did not respond, simply motioned for Virikai to continue.

And continue he did. As he spoke, Adarius looked more and more unimpressed in the tiny nuances of his facial expression and yet, he remained motionless. He remained composed and he remained.... cold

"As it stands at the moment, I am going to reject this," he said and looked at Virikai with a calm expression. "It lacks the depth and thought which I demand of my people. However, I like your idea about utilising our relationship with Scalvoris, ensuring that we are clear on the boundaries of that. However, Hamilton-Smith is a somewhat dubious prospect." He understated rather dramatically and he was very clear about that. "Which might be useful, of course, in its way." That all depended on Virikai, of course.

"However, in undertaking your research in this manner, in utilising the link with Scalvoris, there will be issues. New ones." He did not explain further, he did not need to. "Therefore, I am going to give you the opportunity to prepare a second proposal. Wherein you outline the detail, the potential issues and how you will go about solving them. Have that on my desk within ten trials and I will consider it." His gaze was unwavering and steely. "A second chance to impress me," the implication being, of course, that he had not managed it the first time. Then, he sat back and gazed once more on the Lord Talius. The true test here, of course, was whether he managed rejection, whether he took the second opportunity and, most importantly, whether he did so cleverly. If so?

Well, they would see. "It was a pleasure meeting you," Ararius said with a brief smile. "Good trial."
► Show Spoiler
word count: 463

Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Virikai knew, before Ardarius had even spoken, that he had failed some unknown test. It was only that awareness that kept him from being surprised, only that tiny trill of leeway that allowed him to conjure a look of deferential acceptance from his facial arsenal and plaster it onto his face as the Dean of Sciences spoke, rejecting the current proposal as it stood. In truth, he was furious, but that fury was short lived, replaced by utter ambition and drive to prove the older man wrong when he returned, as offered.

It took him a few trials before returning. The next trial was filled with work for his father, things he could not set aside, the next trial was spent brooding in silence as he stared at the crackling fire his family apartments, whisky in hand. Normally, the Talius heir drank his liquors neat, that trial, however, it was consumed with a mixture of misery and resentment - never a good combination.

But the next trial he set to work analysing the previous proposal with the same scrutiny he would glare down at the subjects he dealt with each trial. His pride was a gargantuan barrier to the task he had been set by the lofty Dean; he found no glaring faults, nothing he could not overcome. Any faults he did come across... well had the man never heard of dynamic assessment and reflection? It was all he knew, working out of the Facility of Retrospective Analysis, where subjects could not be controlled easily.

Yet Ardarius had found fault enough to send him away, and had himself seen a solution that he wanted Virikai to find. It must be there somewhere.

His mind drifted, back to the other project he had envisioned on one quiet night when observing the Aukari child who, by virtue of only having been exposed to Virikai, spoke only the Ancient Tongue. The idea was a simple one? What if he were to remove himself from her presence, but not be replaced? What if she were younger, before she had grasp, or even awareness, of language? What would happen?

Making a decision, he pulled out his pen and painstakingly scribed the new proposal: a Forbidden Experiment. Idalos would never condone it. Viden wouldn’t even condone it. It would be unknown to the Academy, and most academics. Virikai would not climb high in estimation because his part would be unknown to the majority of the world. But he was willing to accept that. He would be remembered by the right people, and it would be the perfect training to then progress onto his original proposal in a few arcs. A pilot of a pilot study, for lack of a better descriptor.

Proposal written, a meeting was set for the next day, and Virikai returned, just as sure of himself as he was the fries that time around. This time, as he placed the proposal on the Deanks desk, he was more than prepared to answer any of Ardarius’ questions. The only question was whether or not the Dean (who knew of the FRA, though Virikai could not judge whether he approved their activities) was made of a strong enough substance to permit something so unthinkable.
word count: 539
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Linguistic Relativity

Trandino Adarius had not entirely known what he should expect as far as this young lordling was concerned. But he had risen to the challenge and here, on his desk, was a new proposal. He said nothing as he looked at it and then, he said nothing for a while longer as he read it. And read it again. Virikai was left to sit and wait for a good break, and of course that was all part of it.

Finally, after that time, Trandino Adarius lifted his head and he raised an eyebrow. Looking at Virikai then, he nodded. Just once, not more than that. He didn't smile, or offer his hand to shake. Looking at him with a calm and neutral expression.

"Better." Trandino Adarius was nothing if he was not an ambitious man. "Much better." Then he sat back and the briefest smile crossed his face.

"When do we begin?" And then, of course, there was the very real consideration. "And the details here will be vital. Who will be the participants," a much more delicate word than victims, he thought, "that too will need to be considered. Does gender matter? Race? You might need quite the selection. Where will you get so many?"

His eyes regarded Virikai and he watched, wondering what the young man would do in order to achieve this. "Tell me your thoughts, lord Talius?" And in that slight, but apparently genuine sign of respect, Kai would have to read what approval he would get from this man, for he would give him no more.
word count: 264

Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

He waited in silence. And waited some more. The silence dragged for trills. Then bits. Until almost a break had passed. Adarius barely moved after picking up the proposal, save the eyes that trailed across the pages. The reticence he displayed almost broke Virikai, and he very nearly opened up his mind with Yvithia’s gift to see what the man opposite him was thinking. He didn’t. But oh how desperately he wanted to.

Finally, after what felt like at least half the trial had passed, the man looked up with nothing so much as an incline of his head. Were Virikai a paranoid sort of man, he would have been second guessing himself at that moment. But Viden was consistent, and men were alike. The nod of the head, however small, spoke volumes. The words that followed, and even a small smile were enough to confirm the lordling’s impression.

We begin as soon as the children are born,” Virikai replied with a nod of his own head. Straight back to business, no need for over-congratulations. He liked the man’s style. “I have identified six expectant subjects within the Facility for Retrospective Analysis, all of whom are due within a few trials of one another. The females were placed with males for breeding within the Facility, thus no one in the outside world is expecting their births.

It was very clinical, the way Virikai spoke of the infant subjects - his tone was not monotonous, in fact, it was nigh alight with excitement (or as excitable as a sociopath could become), but there was a dry, unsympathetic way in which his covered the topic. “One of them, a human, is expecting twins: I am hoping for one of each gender. Beyond there, there are a range of races, but my primary interest is planning for the healthy delivery of a naer and a lotharro child, to allow for even split across genders. My initial plan is to begin with four subjects and evaluate.

The scion paused and ran his tongue across his teeth in consideration. The primary reason he had started out small was the availability of subjects: the Facility did not have an infinite number of resources, and breeding was not always easily achieved. He could petition for more programmes to be put in place is this small pilot study yielded useful results.

Virikai told his superior as much, adding, “it would be… wasteful to consider a male and a female from every race at this stage. I have an inkling, not backed up by mind you, that participation in this project will preclude the subjects from being of any use in any other project. Far better to consider dynamic evaluation and expand the experiment in a Cycle or two.
word count: 464
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Linguistic Relativity

Virikai

Overview

I hope you enjoyed this thread! I'm really pleased that you allowed me / wanted me to play that wonderfully wicked NPC and I can only hope I did him justice. I love the way you write Kai and I had a great time writing with you. I look forward to seeing the results of this Forbidden Experiment in the cycles to come. Great stuff! Enjoy your rewards and let me know if you feel I've missed anything!

XP: 15 (not for magic)

Renown: 10 (being seen in the office etc)

Loot

+1 approval to run the first phase of the experiment.

Knowledge

Discipline: Keeping calm while approaching an important meeting
Discipline: Not losing sight of yourself in the room with an imposing individual
Discipline: Defending your stance calmly
Discipline: Not squirming under a steely gaze
Negotiation: Answering questions clearly but putting your own spin on them.
Negotiation: Explaining why you need to do this
Persuasion: Why you would be good for this, even if under qualified on paper
Persuasion: Defining your usefulness
Persuasion: Putting forward an argument for an utterly reprehensible act
Politics: Even academia is politics
Politics: Juggling situations where politics, academics and the FRA overlap
Writing: A research proposal
Writing: Refining a research proposal
word count: 212

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread