[Approved] Resistance

WIP - please feel free to comment. Thanks!

All approved or abandoned skill write-ups can be found here.

Moderators: Maltruism, Rumour

[Approved] Resistance

Postby Faith » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Name: Resistance

Resistance is a physical ability to not be affected by poisons, toxins, diseases etc, either lessening or resisting completely the effects on the body. From alcohol to drugs used in torture, resistance is a skill which is useful all over Idalos. The spy who can share a drink with someone, knowing they are resistant to the truth-telling drug in there whereas the person they are speaking to is not, for example, is using resistance. Food testers and those who work with poisons on a trial by trial basis all use resistance, as does the gambler who drinks but never loses concentration. Throughout this write up, the word "substance" refers to whatever it is which the character is resisting, even if it should be a disease or infection.

Resistance, Discipline, Meditation and Endurance: A User's Guide

These four skills overlap but are quantifiably different. Resistance is the ability to stop or lessen a substance from having an impact. Endurance is the ability to endure pain /suffering / hunger / lack of sleep / physical activity etc. Meditation is the skill required to resist or lessen effects from magic and Discipline is the ability to mentally resist temptation and / or not show inner struggles.

As an example, if a character were being tortured, the type of torture might well determine the skill required to overcome it. Resistance would help the character to not be affected by drug torture, for example, as the drugs are less likely to impact the character. If that drug caused pain, then Endurance might help the character fight it off, but they'd still feel it. However, with Discipline, they might not cry out in pain or might not give the answer to the question they are being asked, just to make it stop. Meditation is unlikely to be a massive amount of help, unless the torture involved magic, in which case, it would be very useful.

What Can Be Resisted?:

Resistance works on substances which act to change the body in some way - from alcohol to tobacco and every drug in between, including poisons and toxins. It also works against diseases, illness and other issues which impact the immune system.

How to build up resistance?:

Usually, resistance is build by incremental exposure to the substance. If one teaspoon is sufficient to kill, then exposing oneself to a single grain might be where the character starts. This builds up relatively quickly, but the main method of building up resistance is surviving taking the substance.

Types of Resistance:

There are two types of resistance; short term and long term. Short term resistance is the ability to resist for a brief period before giving in to the effects of the substance(s) being resisted. Usually, a character will have to undergo short term resistance before they can hope to build up a long term or permanent resistance to a particular substance. Building up resistance takes practice and progresses the more the character is exposed to what they are resisting. Short term resistance is anything from a few trill (seconds) to a half break (half an hour) depending on the severity of the effect being resisted. Long term resistance can be from a break (hour) to permanent depending on the skill level, substance etc.

A Note on Magic & Marks

There are a number of Immortal marks and magics which might impact a character's ability to use this skill. These should be considered in the RP and, whilst usually not quantified in the mark / magic write up, it is appropriate to assume that an impact occurs. For example, a Zuuda (Famula marked) gains the ability to be an effective food tester due to their "Servants' Endurance". Palenon (Ilaren's mark) functions a number of its abilities on stages of drunkeness, so resistance might be a bad thing.

Natural vs Manufactured Substances:

Natural substances can have significant effects on the body and it should be noted that Resistance, as a skill, is needed to overcome the effects of both natural and manufactured substances. For the purposes of this skill, the potency of the substance is the major issue, while the origin should be considered to a lesser extent. The potency of the substance determines how hard it is to resist it in the first place. It is relatively easy to develop a resistance to low-potency substances, but as potency increases, so too does the difficulty in building up resistance.

Related Skills:

Discipline, Meditation and Endurance are related to the Resistance skill and are dealt with above. Also related are:
Poisons - creation and use of poisons is a dangerous job and a parallel skill in Resistance seems to be a sensible precaution to take. The art of crafting poisons in and of itself exposes the poisoner to them in even minuscule amounts. These can build up a resistance to those poisons worked with.

Medicine ~ the reality of medicine is that the character working with it will come into contact with more diseases than those who do not work in the field. Therefore, a strong Resistance skill allows the medic to remain healthy.

Torture ~ for those situations where one is torturing someone with Resistance, an understanding of it is useful. Also, a torturer with appropriate Resistance is able to employ risky poisons and toxins in their work.

Chemistry ~ as with poisons, the work of the chemist means that the Resistance skill is a sensible precaution against accidents.

Novice: 0-25
At novice, the character is able to resist in a short-term manner only. They are learning the basics of Resistance and often are doing so via exposure. Either by slow training and voluntary exposure to small amounts of a substance, or by fighting it when exposed unintentionally. At this level, the character is building up their short-term resistance and they will successfully resist substances in the short term on a 50/50 basis.

Competent: 26-49
At competent, the character is able to resist all substances they have been previously exposed to in the short term, and is building up resistance in the long term where their resistance is effective about half of the time. The character still can not fully resist anything unknown to them, as resistance to it needs to be built.

Expert: 50-75
Now, the character is able to resist all substances previously exposed to both short and long term. New substances can be resisted short term much more easily and, for the first time, the character has a chance (about 50%) of resisting something the first time it is encountered.

Master: 76-100
Even substances previously unknown to the character can be resisted at this level, the character is able to resist almost all substances without concern and only the most toxic are of concern. Even these highly toxic substances can be resisted short term, but long term resistance is not guaranteed.
Credit: Faith
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

Isonomia Faction
Faith
Famula's Champion

Race: Human
Profession: Philanthropist
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 52
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Guild Master (1) Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Supporter (1) Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Living Legend (1) Ascension (1) Hallowed (1) Pioneer (4)
Hoarder (1) ...ow. (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1) Changed (1)
Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1)

Resistance

Postby Faith » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:23 pm

First draft done - comments welcome!
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

Isonomia Faction
Faith
Famula's Champion

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)

Resistance

Postby Rose Greenwood » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:32 pm

I'm not sure where I can help with this one. You have said basically all that needs to be said about it. :|

I do have a question. How long does Short Term resistance tend to last? Should it be given a defined time limit so the character can know how long they can resist the chemical?
Rose Greenwood
Medicine Woman

Race: Ithecal
Profession: Healer
Renown: +25
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Medals: 2
Helper (1) Artíst (1)

Resistance

Postby Faith » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Rose Greenwood wrote:I'm not sure where I can help with this one. You have said basically all that needs to be said about it. :|

I do have a question. How long does Short Term resistance tend to last? Should it be given a defined time limit so the character can know how long they can resist the chemical?

Great point! I've clarified that it's anything from a few seconds to a half hour, depending on how strong / severe the effects being resisted are. Thank you!

Isonomia Faction
Faith
Famula's Champion

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Resistance

Postby Muse » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Succinct and to the point ...!

That little write up of comparing Discipline/Endurance/Resistance needs to be in all three skill write-ups for perfect clarification.
Muse
Your A-Muse-ment, Always

Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 2
Mentor (1) Developer (1)

Resistance

Postby Maltruism » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:31 pm

AHA!!!!

My chance to resurrect an old argument!! :twisted:

No, not really such a big deal. :lol: Though I may be impacting the "Magic and Marks" part. :(
It has to do with the resistance to magic, which is not mentioned.
You may want to include "Meditation" along with Resistance, Endurance and Discipline.

Meditation is the basis for the ability to "Resist" the effects of magic, reducing them to less harmful degrees.
On second thought, I think if you simply mention Meditation in your "R, D and E: A User's Guide" part, it probably won't be necessary to make any change to the "M & M" part.

However, I disagree that origin is not an issue. A character may well have built up a greater resistance to local stuff, but still be susceptible to an essentially identical toxin from a distant land. Maybe just change it "to a lesser degree" or something.

In the "Related skill - Poison" bit, please make some mention of how the crafting of poisons does lead to the building of resistance to those poisons worked with - or however else you'd like to word it - as I have indicated this in my Poison write-up.

Other than these points, I love it! :D
Maltruism
The standard against whom all others are judged.
Storyteller - Rank 4

Profession: "Mastermind"
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Player Review
Personal Journal
Medals: 23
Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1) Painting With Words (1)
Dungeon Master (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Alpha Testing (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (2)
Scandalous (1) Puppet Master (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Storyteller (1) Holy Tax Accountant (1) Keyboard Monkey (1) King Kong (1)
Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

Resistance

Postby Faith » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Maltruism wrote:On second thought, I think if you simply mention Meditation in your "R, D and E: A User's Guide" part, it probably won't be necessary to make any change to the "M & M" part.

Done - made it about the four skills, not the two and left the M&M bit as was.

However, I disagree that origin is not an issue. A character may well have built up a greater resistance to local stuff, but still be susceptible to an essentially identical toxin from a distant land. Maybe just change it "to a lesser degree" or something.

Done!

In the "Related skill - Poison" bit, please make some mention of how the crafting of poisons does lead to the building of resistance to those poisons worked with - or however else you'd like to word it - as I have indicated this in my Poison write-up.

And... done!

Other than these points, I love it! :D

Awww, thanks!

Isonomia Faction
Faith
Famula's Champion

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Resistance

Postby Maltruism » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:18 am

Well, I'd say...

Approved by Maltruism
Maltruism
The standard against whom all others are judged.
Storyteller - Rank 4

Profession: "Mastermind"
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Player Review
Personal Journal
Medals: 23
Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1) Painting With Words (1)
Dungeon Master (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Alpha Testing (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (2)
Scandalous (1) Puppet Master (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Storyteller (1) Holy Tax Accountant (1) Keyboard Monkey (1) King Kong (1)
Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

Resistance

Postby Rumour » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:06 am

Cue the loud, sheepish coughing as I enter the room. :oops:

I hope you both don’t mind if I keep this open for just a few more questions! I’ve been wanting to review this one for a while, and am hoping you might be able to take a peek at my questions / feedback before this goes live in the wiki.

First, awesome write-up, Faith! I think this skill is a really important one to have completed, since it’s not necessarily immediately obvious how it works upon first glance. Having a write up should make it much more desirable of a skill, especially a write up that is so compelling.

1. A few grammatical suggestions (in the interest of time, I only provided the suggested change in red, rather than the former/latter that I usually do!):

“Resistance, Discipline, Meditation and Endurance: A User’s Guide”

“These four skills overlap but are quantifiably different. Resistance is the ability to stop or lessen a substance from having an impact. Endurance is the ability to endure pain /suffering / hunger / lack of sleep / physical activity etc.”

“Resistance works on substances which act to change the body in some way - from alcohol to tobacco and every drug in between, including poisons and toxins.

“For the purposes of this skill, the potency of the substance is the major issue, while the origin should be considered to a lesser extent.

Obviously, Discipline, Meditation and Endurance are related to the Resistance skill and are dealt with above.”

“Chemistry ~ as with poisons, the work of the chemist means that the Resistance skill is a sensible precaution against accidents.”

“At novice, the character is able to resist in a short-term manner only. They are learning the basics of Resistance and often are doing so via exposure - either by slow training and voluntary exposure to small amounts of a substance, or by fighting it when exposed unintentionally. At this level, the character is building up their short-term resistance and they will successfully resist substances in the short term on a 50/50 basis.”

2. “Fundamentally, these are the ability to resist for a brief period before giving in to the effects of the substance(s) being resisted, or a more long term, or even permanent resistance to it.” I think this sentence may need to be slightly reworded for clarity. Maybe something like, “Short term resistance is the ability to resist for a brief period before giving in to the effects of the substance(s) being resisted.” I’m not sure what you mean by the last bit of that sentence referencing long term/permanent resistance, as it seems to be covered later on in that section!

3. In the “Types of Resistance” section, you share how long “short-term resistance” is (a few trills to a half break). Would you also be able to include what “long-term resistance” means, time-wise?

4. In the Note on Magic & Marks section, I think including some examples of Immortal marks and magics that might impact a character’s ability to use Resistance would be helpful.

5. “The art of crafting poisons in and of itself builds up a resistance to those poisons worked with.” I’m not quite sure what this means. Would you be able to clarify?

6. I think it might be helpful to include a description of what “known to them” means in the write-up. Ie. Does the character need to have used or seen the substance before? Do they need to have researched it or exposed themselves to its effects? Do they need to have knowledge of the substance?

7. I think the only piece missing, aside from the above, is an explanation of how one builds up resistance in the write-up itself. Additionally, does the type of substance matter? Are some substances harder to resist than others, or does it just depend on exposure?
Again, thank you so much for putting this together. Awesome write-up! I think with the above, I’ll feel 100% comfortable with this going live in the wiki for players to reference. Give me a shout if you have any questions or concerns!

Cheers,
Ru

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Office | Rharne | Rharne Lore | Lightning Knights | Thunder Priestesses | Merchants Guild
Rumour
Patron saint to gossipmongers.
Developer - Rank 3

Plot Notes
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 15
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1)
Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Puppet Master (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Developer (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Resistance

Postby Faith » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Rumour wrote:I hope you both don’t mind if I keep this open for just a few more questions! I’ve been wanting to review this one for a while, and am hoping you might be able to take a peek at my questions / feedback before this goes live in the wiki.

No worries at all! Your feedback is always welcome.

1. A few grammatical suggestions (in the interest of time, I only provided the suggested change in red, rather than the former/latter that I usually do!):
    Perfect! All done!

5. “The art of crafting poisons in and of itself builds up a resistance to those poisons worked with.” I’m not quite sure what this means. Would you be able to clarify?
    Maltruism made me do it!! :) It's in response to Malt's comment. However, I've expanded it a little. Does that work?

6. I think it might be helpful to include a description of what “known to them” means in the write-up. Ie. Does the character need to have used or seen the substance before? Do they need to have researched it or exposed themselves to its effects? Do they need to have knowledge of the substance?
    Exposed to it. Added in. Does that work?

7. I think the only piece missing, aside from the above, is an explanation of how one builds up resistance in the write-up itself. Additionally, does the type of substance matter? Are some substances harder to resist than others, or does it just depend on exposure?
Added, I think.

Isonomia Faction
Faith
Famula's Champion

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Next

Return to Skill Development Archives