[Approved] Gardening

Submit your articles for Skill Development here.

Moderators: Maltruism, Rumour

Gardening

Postby Maltruism » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:49 am

I'm sorry Faith.
Did you actually PM me to look into this?
I only just stumbled upon it now. :oops:

True to my usual review nature, I'm inclined to say that it's okay to leave plenty to the imagination and not try to come up with ALL the variations and applications. But to hint at the potential for such versatility.

Part of this is directed at the "Complimentary Skills". I understand some need for that, but I'd also point out that there's very few other skill write-ups that have such things included.

This is not to say I want them deleted, only not too heavily stressed.
Of course, I just finished adding "Chemistry" and "Alchemy" to your Surgery write-up, didn't I... :roll:

No, more what I mean is "Textile Production", "Bookbinding" and "Painting". Maybe one or two more.
It's not that they are not going to touch upon each other down the road, but I see THIS as the complimentary skill to THOSE, rather than vice-versa, if you see what I mean.
I think that Gardening may help a fabric dyer understand that his source of red dye must be handed very differently than his source of blue dye. But knowing how the actual dying process is done is not going to make him a better gardener.

Or maybe I'm just a nit-picky little jerk that HAS to throw some sort of whiny BS into everyone else' efforts :lol:
Maltruism
The standard against whom all others are judged.
Storyteller - Rank 3

Race: Prophet
Profession: "Mastermind"
Fame: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Player Review
Personal Journal
Medals: 20
Contributor of the Month (1) World Developer (1) Painting With Words (1) Dungeon Master (1)
Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (1) Scandalous (1)
Puppet Master (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1) Storyteller (1)
Keyboard Monkey (1) King Kong (1) Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

Gardening

Postby Faith » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi Rose & Maltruism

Hmm - interesting points, Malt - and good ones! I guess, my two cents would be slightly different.

I think the addition / inclusion of complimentary skills is something that's great - and helps people think about what skills go together. I've certainly included them in all my most recent skill write ups. Personally, I think they add a dimension.

However, Malt, you're right in that some of the skills listed as complimentary might not be so. So, seeing complimentary skills as "if you know this skill it might improve / enhance / inform your gardening skill" then, the list is:

Cooking - yes - because you know what you are looking for in a potato or blueberry (I mean, don't we all?)
Baking as above
Medicine - yes. Because an understanding of medicine really would help for medicinal gardening.
Bookbinding not sure that knowing the processes of bookbinding will help you with gardening for it?
Chemistry - I think yes - creation of fertilizer, knowing what not to put on plants etc.
Posions - mebbe? Probably not?
Textile Production - probably not
Painting - probably not.

So yeah - if you see complimentary skills as those skills which enhance the gardening one, not vice versa, that would be my take. But Rose, at the end of the day, it's your write up - maybe the thing to do is include a sentence or two on each one explaining how / why it's complimentary?

Hope that helps!

~Faith.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

Cally's Restaurant & Charity | Luna's Dream (Orphanage)
Faith
Devoted

Race: Human
Profession: Chef / Professor
Fame: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 47
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1)
Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Hallowed (1) Pioneer (2) Hoarder (1) First Love (1)
Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1) Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1)
Changed (1) Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1)
Immortal Lover (1) Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1)
Mailman (1) Legend In Waiting (1) The Most Famous (1) Lol Worthy (1)

Gardening

Postby Rose Greenwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Oh Malt...you're such a troublemaker! ;) lol I will alter the write-up so it offers descriptions of how the complimentary skills can be used similar to how I did in the Surgery write-up. I think I can see that bookbinding, textiles, and painting can be left out.

EDIT: Changes added, I also added a disclaimer under Complimentary Skills , explaining that they are only given as examples of skills that can be used.
Rose Greenwood
Medicine Woman

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Healer
Fame: +25
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Medals: 2
Helper (1) Artíst (1)

Gardening

Postby Maltruism » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Approved by Maltruism
All good by me! :D
Maltruism
The standard against whom all others are judged.
Storyteller - Rank 3

Profession: "Mastermind"
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Player Review
Personal Journal
Medals: 20
Contributor of the Month (1) World Developer (1) Painting With Words (1) Dungeon Master (1)
Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (1) Scandalous (1)
Puppet Master (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1) Storyteller (1)
Keyboard Monkey (1) King Kong (1) Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

Gardening

Postby Rumour » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 am

Uh oh... I'm going to be the bad guy who keeps this open after Malt's approval! /flees screaming into the night

Okay! So, Rose. This is an AWESOME write-up. Big kudos to you for putting this together, and thanks as well to everyone who provided feedback. I really, really enjoyed reading this (it made me want to learn how to garden) and love the way you've laid it all out. It's simple, straightforward, and easy to use for someone who has the Gardening skill. I also found only one spelling note that I'll call out, and it's a simple fix:

“However they can all be grown using the same basic principals and tools." > “However they can all be grown using the same basic principles and tools.”
The reason I'm keeping this open is to ask about the four types of growing mediums. I noticed that you split them up into the various levels - Soil at Novice, Sand at Competent, Water at Expert, and Gravel at Mastery. At first glance, this looked perfect to me. And then I started thinking... what about situations where the player is mer or a character in Nashaki / The Hotlands? It seems likely that the growing medium they would know at the novice level would be what they grew up with, rather than what the first level says it should be. ie. a mer might understand the Water growing medium before they understand the Soil growing medium.

Here's my question for consideration:

Would it be worthwhile adjusting the skill levels so that they don't specify the growth mediums and, instead, specify the number of growth mediums that a player can know at each skill level? ex. 1 for Novice, 2 for Competent, 3 for Expert, and all 4 for Master. That way, the player has a bit more flexibility depending on their character's history and background.

Please let me know your thoughts! Again, this is such an awesome write-up and you all did the hard work of reviewing before me while I come in with some nitpicky questions at the end. ;)

Cheers,
Ru

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Office | Rharne | Rharne Lore | Lightning Knights | Thunder Priestesses | Merchants Guild
Rumour
Patron saint to gossipmongers.
Developer - Rank 3

Plot Notes
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 15
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1)
Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Puppet Master (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Developer (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Gardening

Postby Rose Greenwood » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 am

No worries I'm so glad you caught the spelling error. Its fixed! I will be happy to alter the handling of growth mediums tomorrow morning. Your logic makes perfect sense. I'll let you know once the changes are made.
Rose Greenwood
Medicine Woman

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Helper (1) Artíst (1)

Gardening

Postby Rose Greenwood » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 am

Changes to growth medium made.
Rose Greenwood
Medicine Woman

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Helper (1) Artíst (1)

Gardening

Postby Rumour » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 am

The updates look great to me. This will be uploaded to the wiki shortly. Thanks so much for your hard work, Rose!

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Office | Rharne | Rharne Lore | Lightning Knights | Thunder Priestesses | Merchants Guild
Rumour
Patron saint to gossipmongers.
Developer - Rank 3

Plot Notes
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 15
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1)
Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Puppet Master (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Developer (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Previous

Return to Skill Development