• Closed • Memento

unexpected gift. (Nate)

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.

Moderators: Basilisk, Pegasus, Plague

• Closed • Memento

Postby Velaine Krome » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:53 am

Memento
50th of Zi’da, Arc 717

As the sun shone through her eyelids, Velaine cursed softly and had half the mind to pull the covers over her face like a child. The gala had stretched well into the night and the wine she consumed had not helped either. Not to mention she had several trials of a journey in a carriage ahead of her. Still, she shouldn’t stay here long – the sooner they get to Endor the better. Reluctantly, she let her eyes flutter open.

Her heart jumped for a moment as she took in Nathaniel’s slumbering figure lying beside her. His rugged features softened with sleep, making him almost younger. Velaine vaguely remembered him saying something about some architect taking his room and whatnots. For some drunken reason, she also recalled agreeing to let him stay in her room instead. He had casually thrown himself onto the bed, above the covers – still in his doublet and trousers – and drifted off not too long after, while the Krome busied herself in the bathroom to take off her make-up and slip into something more comfortable.

Not the best decisions they had ever made, but the Krome was starting to think that her relationship with Nathaniel consisted only of a series of bad decisions. At least if anyone saw them entering her room together, no one would think twice about it. Couples snuck into each other’s rooms all the time after parties like this. On the bright side, his presence beside her had provided a much welcomed warmth against the cold air of Zi’da. Velaine had wondered if the Endor wasn’t at all cold sleeping without anything covering him like that, but she wasn’t sure it was a good idea to wake him or offer him to sleep under the covers with her either. So instead, the young woman simply fed the fireplace more logs in hopes to keep him warm and slip under the blanket. Sleep came surprisingly soon after that – considering she had a man on her bed.

Finally shaking off the clutches of sleep, Velaine rolled out of bed gently, careful not to wake her betrothed. She would take some time to get herself ready and didn’t see the point of rousing him too early in the morn.

Making as little noise as possible, the young woman went about her business. Washing herself. Putting on the slightest bit of makeup. She soon changed into her journey attire – a loose white shirt, fitting leather pants, and a pair of worn boots. Now she stood in front of the mirror, running a hand through her windswept hair – a price she paid for her Defiance. Usually, Velaine had her maids help her braid to keep her brown locks in line, but today she would have to do it herself.

Earlier that night, as soon as she arrived in her room, Velaine had sent her handmaidens back to Krome to pack her clothes and deliver them ahead to Endor. She had told her mother of her plans to return with Nathaniel to his home before leaving for Venora, so they should know what to do. The wardrobe she had with her right now was only enough for a few of days. Velaine also had taken the care to warn them not to say anything to her parents regarding a certain Endor who stood waiting outside as she sorted things out.

Velaine sat down on the edge of the bed beside the Endor as she braided her hair with increasing frustration. “Nate, you awake yet?”
Velaine Krome
freedom becomes her.

Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +85
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Medals: 1
First Kiss (1)

Memento

Postby Nathaniel Endor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:25 pm

He had been strong for most of the night. The alcohol had not effected him until he and Velaine were considering leaving the affair. In their small amble upstairs, he had found himself convincing his betrothed to sleep in her room. His floor was taken up by Marshall and his bed had been given to Nadia. The new architect had sufficiently complicated things. Going to the same room with a strange woman waiting for him would have caused quite the stir. At least accompanying Velaine and entering her room was slightly more honorable given that they were betrothed. The amount of rumors that had circulated about them throughout the evening had been more than the foreman could bear and it had clearly chipped away at his mood throughout the evening. He had drank faster than he had originally intended, nearly sparked an argument between Xander and himself, and caused some sort of strange rumor about him and Valeria. Of course, he was sure that other things had happened, but he had difficulty recalling them as they walked up to her room. Nathaniel was exhausted when the arrived and promptly threw himself down on a side of the bed. The opportunity for him to get to know Velaine on a much more intimate level was there; and was gone as his eyes slid shut and his snoring began.

Over the course of the last few days, Nathaniel had not slept well. His sleep had been plagued with nightmares of screeching worms, wailing criminals blaming him for their deaths, and the tears of widows as they threw towels and other kitchenware at him as he begged forgiveness. This night happened to be completely dreamless.

“Nate, you awake yet?”

The bear's eyes bounced open as Velaine called out to him. Nathaniel groaned a little as he rotated a bit to shove his scruffy face into a pillow in the five-more-bits-please-mom way. Finally he managed to roll himself into a sleeping position, his shoulders slumped forward as he rubbed the back of his neck before rubbing his face aggressively. It took him several trills to register that the voice belonged to Velaine. That jolted him enough to sit up straight and inspect the situation. Wait a bit...

Nathaniel patted his chest before letting out a stressed breath. His clothes were still on which meant he had not done anything brutish and inappropriate. Thank the Seven he wasn't a complete arse. Cradling his head, he mumbled, "I'm awake...barely. How did you sleep?"

The gala had been a complete success it appeared. Now it was time to head home. Velaine would be along for the long carriage ride. He did not even have much time to pen his mother a letter to warn her of Velaine's arrival. Then again, maybe this would be a pleasant surprise. Did she even like surprises? Nathaniel slowly stood up and walked around the bed until he was standing in front of Velaine. "I need to retrieve Marshall and Nadia from my room. We can be on the way shortly after. I'm not sure if you want me to attend breakfast with you but I need some time to change and clean up before doing so."
Nathaniel Endor
Approved Character

Race: Ithecal
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
First Kiss (1)

Memento

Postby Velaine Krome » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:52 am

As Nathaniel groaned and shifted reluctantly, the female Krome entertained the idea of waking up next to him every morning. The marriage was still a long way to go and she wondered how their relationship would change. There was no doubt that they became comfortable with each other much faster than she expected. Yet, after their kiss in the forest, they hadn’t been intimate in any way. And Velaine couldn’t tell if it was a good thing or a bad thing.

Shite, why does this whole marriage thing has to be so complicated?

Still, she grinned as the Endor let out his breath, relief glimmering in his green eyes. It was obvious to her, what he was trying to do. In fact, the whole thing was oddly endearing to watch. “Don’t worry, we have been an annoyingly innocent couple the entire night. And I can assure you I am not the sort of woman to undress her betrothed while he slept.” With a sly smile, she couldn’t help commenting a bit further. She had found that teasing him brought her a delight like no other. “You know, judging by how concerned you look, I have to ask… just how often you find yourself needing to make sure you are dressed after waking up?”

Finally giving up with her braid, Velaine ran her fingers through her hair. She would be spending trials in a carriage anyway and she doubted Nathaniel would mind seeing her somewhat dishelved hair. “My sleep was… good, I guess. The worst part is the waking up.”

“I need to retrieve Marshall and Nadia from my room. We can be on the way shortly after. I'm not sure if you want me to attend breakfast with you but I need some time to change and clean up before doing so.”

“That’s alright,” she replied lightly as she glanced around the room. All her things had already been packed and she was ready to go anyway. “I’ll tell the servants to prepare our breakfast so we can bring it with us. I’d rather we travel soon and eat in the carriage, if you don’t mind. I can wait outside the estate.”

When he turned to leave, Velaine stood and reached out to grab the sleeve of his rumpled doublet. She just remembered that there was something she still needed to say. Her hand just shot out automatically and she immediately dropped it upon realization. “Sorry, I– I wasn’t thinking.” She couldn’t be sure if the Endor appreciated her move. After all, Velaine remembered how he flinched last night when she suddenly touched his arm.

She found it terrifying how he made her question everything little thing she did. She was supposed to be better than this. Velaine had been confident enough to jest with him, but now she was fretting about whether or not her touch was unwelcome.

“Last night, I can’t remember if I said it or if I said it right… Thank you for letting me come to Endor with you. I know it is sudden and probably inappropriate, so thank you really.” Most of their conversations late into the night was warped in her head and Velaine couldn’t be sure how she had worded it. Still, Velaine knew she hadn’t given him a clear explanation and yet he still accepted her offer. “If you changed your mind and think it’s better for me to return to Krome, I understand if it’s too much trouble. I doubt your household will have any time to prepare.”
Velaine Krome
freedom becomes her.

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
First Kiss (1)

Memento

Postby Nathaniel Endor » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:42 am

"Before you? More than I can count..."

The words fell out of his mouth before his fogged brain could compute what he was saying. There was a pause in his step when he realized exactly what he had said. Regret filled him immediately but he said nothing. If she even felt that there was damage, she would simply have to get over it. Before her, he had been a completely different man. Then again, arguably, that man was yet to be dead and buried. At least, for this night, he had managed to keep it relatively well hidden. She made little comment on it so he intended to continue walking. Would this be what their marriage was like? Burying their past and pretending that everything would be just fine if they did so? Her plan to eat in the carriage made a great deal of sense. Nathaniel had managed to get past her without so much a a nod or a murmur about his statement previous when she reached out and grabbed his shirt.

The man stopped dead in his tracks. He imagined all of the arguments that would ensue in that very moment. Instead, an apology escaped her lips. It certainly confused him. Nathaniel looked over his shoulder at her as Velaine explained herself. Slowly he turned around, placing massive hands on the sides of her arms reassuringly. Part of him wanted to offer a polite kiss to her forehead, like a parent might off their insecure child. Since that was not the relationship they had, he decided against it. "Don't worry m'lady. Endor is as much your home now as it is mine. I will do whatever it takes to protect you. Besides, Maderson loves surprises..."

Not. She most definitely did not like surprises. Which meant this idea seemed even better in his eyes. He clapped her arms before turning and exiting. He needed a bath to wake up before he said anything else stupid.

Despite there being one carriage, Marshall and Nadia had elected to take the first part of the trip up front with the carriage driver. There was something mentioned about "fresh air" and the "beautiful sunrise" they would encounter. As Nathaniel stood outside the carriage with his own bag in hand, he had half a notion to inquire whether the two had slept together in his absence. Marshall never wanted to ride up front. The sudden change of heart concerned him. Maybe it was being confined in a small pace with two other people instead of having one bench all to himself to sprawl on. Both men hated tight places for different reasons.

He tossed up his back to the bald man before opening the door. Nathaniel proceeded to wait for his future wife, pacing casually outside the carriage for her to arrive. It was surprising that he had made it out before her. He had taken at least half a break to get cleaned up and dressed. Last he had checked, she had been near ready to go prior to him leaving her rooms. The servant had even come and gone, leaving behind a basket of freshly baked Venoran breakfast breads, fresh milk, and coffee. Marshall and Nadia had almost absconded with half the basket behind his back while he waited for Velaine to arrive.

"She is coming, right m'lord? You aren't getting stood up so soon are you?"

"Your words are incredibly thoughtful Marshall. I suggest you keep them to yourself," Nathaniel grumbled. Marshall only snickered behind his back. Nadia simply made a note of the two's relationship.
Nathaniel Endor
Approved Character

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
First Kiss (1)

Memento

Postby Velaine Krome » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:57 am

Velaine hadn’t missed his words. She rarely missed anyone’s words and mannerisms these days, courtesy to her time studying psychology. Another trick she had learned was how to keep her face neutral and calm, even when a hundred thoughts were wriggling inside her mind. Still, the answer stunned her for a fraction of a bit. Her joke had gained a way more honest answer than she could ever imagine.

Nathaniel immediately paused, clearly taken aback that he had let such words slip. But Velaine had nothing to say. It was easier to pretend that she never heard it. This would just be another information she tucked away in her memory, another piece of Nathaniel Endor’s puzzle.

As much as she wanted to ask him about it, the Krome decided that was a topic they should discuss when she had a cooler head. The thank you was a way for her to dissolve the tension between them – and it gave her a moment to collect herself. Admittedly, his warm hands on her were soothing, comforting almost.

“If you say so,” Velaine replied with a small smile as she watched him go. “Thank you again, really.”

Once the door closed behind him, Velaine tossed herself onto the bed and sighed.

I will do whatever it takes to protect you, he had said. Velaine would be lying if she said that his words didn’t make her insides all feel warm and weird. He had meant his statement and she believed him. Unfortunately, the feeling was soon eclipsed by the Endor’s previous words. The one that had struck her like a physical hit.

Before you? More than I can count...

Nathaniel had meant it too. And he wasn’t even exaggerating. His words were stark and honest, not a single drop of jest in his tone. She could feel that he honestly couldn’t remember how many women he had been with before. Did he mean romantically or sexually? Did she even want to know the answer?

No. Probably not. I won’t be able to stop thinking about it if I did.

But I probably should know. Just so I can get it out of my head.

The Endor was handsome and charming if he wanted to be. Not to mention physically attractive. She shouldn’t be surprised that he had a line of women trailing behind him from his past. Most noblemen did. He wasn’t doing anything wrong. After all, what happened between them… it was all still very new. He owed nothing to her. He didn’t even have the obligation to tell her about it if he didn’t want to.

Meditation. That might be something she could use. Elrik always told her that it would help wrestle her emotions into submission – even if the effects were mostly temporary. Hurriedly, Velaine sat up and crossed her legs together. With her eyes closed, the young woman tried to sink into the darkness. Anchoring herself with her breathing, feeling the rise and falls of her chest.

Time passed and she still couldn’t shake away the image of a particular Endor from her mind.

Shite. It wasn’t working. She decided to turn to a more reliable method of controlling her own emotions. Her spark instantly flared to life at the thought, eager to run its fingers across her worries. Wasting no time, she knotted away the writhing orange threads of anxiety and shoved it deep into the depths of her.

The tightness in her chest eased almost immediately and the Krome could breathe easily again. Her gaze wondered to the window as she watched the sun rising higher and higher.

Damn it. How long has it been since Nate left?

“I am sorry!” Velaine called out as she jogged towards the awaiting carriage in front of the estate. It wasn’t very ladylike, but it was still early enough that no one was really watching her. Nathaniel was pacing in front of it and two strangers next to him. The woman must be the architect he was talking about last night. “I am so sorry! I lost track of time!”

Strands of her hair had slipped out of her braid as she ran and Velaine was trying her best to tame it as she took her place besides her betrothed. “I hope all of you haven’t been waiting for too long.” Despite her breathlessness, the young woman managed a nod to each the man and the woman. “I’m Lady Titania Velaine Krome and I sincerely apologize for the delay.” She shot a glance at the Endor, hoping that he would introduce his two companions to her.

Once all the niceties were finished, the young woman let herself be led into the carriage. It seemed like Marshall and Nadia wouldn’t be joining them inside, claiming unconvincing excuses along the lines of enjoying the view. She wouldn’t say no to the gift of privacy, however. Velaine took the seat across her betrothed and was handed a basket filled with their breakfast.

Neither of them said anything as the carriage began to move. Velaine even took a piece of pastry to nibble on to distract herself from the words that hung thickly in the air between them.

The awkward silence stretched and Velaine was painfully aware of it. She could not take it if this was how they were going to be for the next few trials. They hadn’t been this awkward since the snight of their first meeting. She studied him though, his neatly-trimmed beard, his muscular torso, his scarred hands – everywhere but his eyes.

Before she could lose her nerve, Velaine let the words slip out of her mouth. “Is it true, then? Did you mean what you said? That you’ve been with countless before me?” If they were destined to spend the rest of their lives together, there would be thousands of issues they will face. She would rather get at least one out of the way.

The young Krome wasn’t mad, not even a little, and her mannerism showed it. Her posture was relaxed, her gaze steady – though her eyes were a dark, stormy blue. She had no right to be. They haven’t known each other for long and it was only logic that each of them had their own pasts.

Velaine promised to herself that if he refused to answer, she would drop the topic entirely. At least until he was ready to talk about it one trial.
Velaine Krome
freedom becomes her.

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
First Kiss (1)

Memento

Postby Nathaniel Endor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:09 am

It had been almost a break and then some since he had left her room. He didn't consider himself speedy when it came to getting ready in the morning, but he did not need to apply face paint like most women. Come to think of it, Velaine had not struck him to wear much make-up in the first place. She had been about ready to go when he had left her room that morning. Another five bits passed by as he resolved himself to storm back into the Venoran estate and tear the place down looking for his bride-to-be. Not a trill later and Velaine was racing down the steps toward him. He relaxed instantly, both relieved that she was ok and that he did not have to go burn the House of Roses down looking for her. That would not have help their relationship.

Nadia and Marshall joined them as she came rushing up to Nathaniel's side. He slid a protective arm around her, pulling her close to aide in reducing his anxiety. Marshall smirked while the architect kept a blank face about the whole situation. "Not at all m'lady. The world awaits on women like you. Now, let me introduce you to a few important people..."

Nathaniel first gestured to Marshall, "This is Marshall Jeev, my right hand man and manservant of House Endor. He keep the criminal personnel records on my behalf and will inspect the mines alongside me at any given point. He tends to run things when I am not actively available."

Marshall offered a deep bow, saying nothing. His introduction had been more than enough and he did not want to ruin his stoic impression with words. Nadia offered a bow as well. It was very unladylike, but her tomboyish garb and behavior did not suggest that she had been brought up with etiquette lessons at the forefront of her education. "This is Nadia Harwyn. She is a gift from Caius Gawyne. She is a master mine architect that I suspect will help in the expansion. Deeper tunnels means higher quality ore; if we can get there safely."

Safely. That was definitely a term that was contingent on the discoveries he made within the mines alongside the biologist he had met with only trials earlier. All of these things needed to be discussed, but he was not prepared to ruin the long journey with such dread talk. Nathaniel would deal with it later. Once the pleasantries were made, it seemed that Velaine was eager to be on their way. Nathaniel allowed himself to be pulled into the carriage while Marshall and Nadia took their seats up front. Soon they were on their way back to his dirt and rocks.

The silence did not unnerve him. Nathaniel had a great deal of things to think about, and he started in on one in particular. Why had Velaine asked so suddenly to join him at Berengar. Certainly more advance notice would have been nice; especially with his mother lurking around every corner of that house. Uninvited guests meant that she had little control and that made her an angry bear in general. The thought made him mutter curses beneath his breath. He had forgotten to send a letter ahead to warn her. Now, it would certainly be too late.

“Is it true, then? Did you mean what you said? That you’ve been with countless before me?”

She had taken the basket of pastries which sat across from him, tempting him with a way out. They were too far away for him to subtly reach for one and stuff the whole thing into his mouth to avoid talking to her about this. With a heavy sigh, he turned to her. He was back in his plane clothes, freshly laundered from the previous journey by the Venoran house staff. One of the top buttons was left undone to reveal curly black chest hair. "I believe the phrase I used was 'more than I could count.' 'Countless' implies well beyond that. Is that what kept you preoccupied upstairs? Were you concerned about the women that I have been with?"
Nathaniel Endor
Approved Character

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
First Kiss (1)

Memento

Postby Velaine Krome » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:07 pm

The moment Nathaniel sighed and opened his mouth to speak. The she-wolf was already regretting her question. Hearing him put it that way made her sound quite the pathetic and insecure young woman. Especially when the Endor regarded her with such levelheaded green eyes. Was she being childish for having mull over his words? Was it wiser to forget the comment entirely and pretended she never heard it? That didn’t sit well with her. While Velaine was a believer in maneuvering through relationships subtly, a part of her wanted what she had with Nathaniel to be as clear as possible.

She couldn’t really tell if he was annoyed by her. It would be a lie to say that she wasn’t tempted to shift through his tangle.

“And how far can you count, Lord Endor?” Velaine replied smoothly. At least, her hem to ward off her useless overthinking was certainly useful to return her sharp wit. She hated to make a fool of herself more than this.

Technically, the young woman did spend her time thinking over his words. Though in her defense, the real reason she wasted so much time was because wounding her threads into a proper shield against unwanted emotions took time. Still, Velaine was too proud to let her betrothed know that he had quite the effect on her. “I wouldn’t go so far as saying I am concerned. I am very curious, however.”

She had noticed how he glanced at the basket earlier and decided to offer it to him, her hands extending in front of her. “Can you blame me? We are probably stuck with each other for the rest of our lives. I think a bit of curiosity is unavoidable.”
Velaine Krome
freedom becomes her.

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
First Kiss (1)

Memento

Postby Nathaniel Endor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Her silence made him smirk ever so slightly. He leaned back into his corner casually, bending on leg at the knee and stretching the other one out as he prepared for the long carriage ride back to Berengar. It may have been a bit overly dramatic, but he lifted his hand to his forehead and spread his fingers over it and his eyes. Much like he would imagine Caius doing if he were in a state of exasperation. He was not actually irritated. On the contrary, he was quite enjoying this. Had his slip of the tongue really set her off that much? Did this imply that she was really into him as he was into her? He wasn't prepared to tell her that, but it definitely made him feel something deep within the pits of his own inner being.

"I can count to the thousands, m'lady." Nathaniel snorted back. He may not have been the most finesse at the Soiree the evening - that award would have had to go to Oliver in his opinion - but that did not mean he was stupid. Nathaniel dropped his hand back into his lap. "Careful. I believe it is curiosity that killed the cat; but no, I cannot blame you. I don't know how many women I slept with in my youth. Some of them were drunken rendezvouses where I woke with whatever nel I had the night previously was gone. I do not even recall the name of most."

He knew what she was looking for. All the women previously, especially if he had frequented them more than once, had asked in some round about way. They were curious if he was available, not physically, but emotionally. That's all they ever had cared about. Yet, they were not available. He learned that early on. They had sold themselves night after night for a little snuggling in hopes of finding a better life. A life that would never be available to them. Now he was here, sitting in a carriage, with a woman that wanted little more than to provide for her people. She had never appeared to wanted more than to do what she felt was right.

At least, that was his perception. Velaine appeared to be happy with her lot in life. He appreciated that. Nathaniel wished more people had that take on life. Most of those that he worked with, the criminals within his minds, had not been happy with their lot. It was his mission to change that. To alter their view on the world and make them respectable, wholesome men of society. Gently, he took one of the blueberry muffins and nibbled on it gently. Crumbs fell lightly onto his shirt. He didn't seem to care.

"I did not love a single one of them, if that is what you are after," He finally offered, turning his eyes to the now rolling scenery outside the window.
Nathaniel Endor
Approved Character

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
First Kiss (1)

Memento

Postby Velaine Krome » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 pm

The Endor made a gesture to show his exasperation at her. Although she also didn’t miss the small smirk tugging at the edge of his lips. Velaine usually took pride on how well she could read people, but her own betrothed gave her quite the trouble. She found herself questioning whether her deduction about him was right or not. Like at this moment, she couldn’t decide if he was truly annoyed or just toying with her.

As she listened to his explanation, the young woman supposed that it made sense. Each of them had their own needs to fulfill and a nobleman having his way with a handful of women was not something unheard of. Velaine was probably also guilty of it to a degree, having her share of men back when she was just starting her life in Ne’haer. The newly gained freedom had made her a little… wild. That did not last long, however. It soon occurred to her that some of the men she had been with was a bit too interested in her noble status.

“I did not love a single one of them, if that is what you are after.”

Love. That’s such a strong words, isn’t it? She found it rather difficult to imagine a man like him to have never loved a woman. She didn’t know why, but all things considered Velaine had imagined that her betrothed had a past sweetheart of some kind. Then again… how was it so unbelievable? The she-wolf herself couldn’t claim that she had felt love. Not even when someone else had fallen for her and given her everything.

While Nathaniel let his gaze drift to the window, Velaine kept her eyes on him. His words only led her to build another series of questions inside her head. Well, they had a long ride ahead of them anyway. What better place to talk than in a carriage where there was no chance for them to walk away? “You’ve never been in love, then?”

A part of her wanted to say yes, hoping for someone to be like her. To know that she was not some sort of heartless monster for not feeling anything when love had presented itself to her that long time ago.
Velaine Krome
freedom becomes her.

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
First Kiss (1)

Memento

Postby Nathaniel Endor » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:12 am

She was acting strangely, that much he could tell. She seemed to be very fixated on this whole conversation, as if it were getting right to her inner being. Was he hitting a sensitive topic? Had she really thought he might have cared for some of these women. He chewed thoughtfully again on the muffin. The taste would have been quite appealing if not for the conversation that was being had over it. Instead, he took a few more large bites, downing it before he lost his appetite. As he finished chewing, she persisted with the conversation. "No, I have not..."

Was it that hard to believe that at his age he had never been in love? He turned to look at her again. She looked hopeful and wounded all at the same time. What about this conversation got to her? Was she hoping that he would say yes and that she was the one he was in love with? That certainly seemed a bit premature, even if all their social outings had been hand-in-hand. Nathaniel liked her, to be sure. They would be spending the rest of the lives together. He could imagine it turning into some form of love. Didn't every betrothed couple? Did Xander and Celeste love one another? Caius and Darcyanna were so head over heels they mistook each other feet as their own. Oliver and Charlie still appeared as unsure as he and Velaine.

"I certainly hope I do one day." He murmured. It wasn't necessarily loud enough to hear, but if she was paying close enough attention, she might pick up on it.

He deemed the conversation over at that point, electing to switch it to another hot topic. He had been musing on this since the conversation with Oliver and Charlie last night. He would become Duke Krome alongside Duchess Krome. Nathaniel would have to give up his name, his mines, his bloodline if his wife were to succeed her parents. There was little chance he would ever sit the duchy; however, there was still a chance. He wanted to know how Velaine thought about this. "I know this is all heavy conversation to start this long journey out, but, what happens if Endor falls to me before Krome falls to you? Would you consider being Duchess Endor?"

He had a slew of points, but he wanted to see how she reacted initially to the question before continuing. In their union, from Endor, they would be able to provide for Krome's people. Another Krome could find a seat upon the duchy, one that they could align with and manipulate to doing their bidding. It would be an unbreakable alliance, built on blood, nel, and iron ore. It sounded good into his not-so-politically-savvy head.
Nathaniel Endor
Approved Character

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
First Kiss (1)

Next

Return to Duchies