Campaigns

49th of Ashan 717

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.
Celeste Andaris
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Vixen
Renown: 138
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Campaigns

49th Ashan, 717

Celeste was kneeling on the floor. It was not often that she did this, not often at all, but it was the only way that she could get the huge piece of parchment laid out properly. So, on the soft furred rug in front of the fireplace, Celeste knelt and looked down at the diagram which represented one of the venues suggested by his mother for their wedding. "We have to be married near water, that is traditional. Your mother, in fairness, has tried to ensure that we can have the beauty and simplicity we wish, in what aspects we can." Which weren't many, in fairness, but she did her best to be positive. "There is a tree next to the lake here, so we can be married beneath it. Then, we have the table plan for the feast afterwards. Apparently, it's very important." Celeste looked up at Xander and smiled. Her deep blue dress was simple and fitted, her hair hung loose and her make up accentuated her eyes. Gwen, her ladies maid here, had declared that he would be unable to resist her. Celeste had merely smiled and said nothing on that, but she had to accept that deep blue suited her and the simple elegance which Gwen chose from the dresses available was entirely her own taste.

"Where people sit becomes a matter of insult or prestige, depending on where it is. Each table has a number and if you feel that you should be on table 2, but are on table 3? Wars have been started for less." She found the whole thing entirely ridiculous, but there it was. She had the seat plans, he had the parchment with the lists of names. Neither of them had seen either of these yet, Xander's mother had given the list with an airy wave and the word 'suggestion', but Celeste knew better. This was how she wanted it to be. With a sigh, Celeste sat back.

"You may note that this proposal gives dominance to the Krome members attending. It gives a message and it is not one of an equal partnership." Chewing her lower lip, she considered what they could do about that. There was the possibility, she said, that they could fake a screaming argument where she stormed off and called off the whole thing? Her eyes showed him just how wicked she found that idea. Then there was the possibility that they could go along with it. After all, she mulled aloud, there were many more Krome than there were Andaris.

"However, I suggest an alternative. None of my brothers will be there, nor my mother or grandmother. Both of our families have suffered in the seasons past and we will be being wed in the same season as Cassander and the Empress." Celeste looked at him with calm brown eyes. "Therefore, let us take our inspiration from them, and see this as a unity between two people, not a battle excuse between two families. Let's name each table a virtue, something vital to a marriage. Love, trust, friendship, that sort of thing."

She glanced up at him, with his lists and the frown on his face which meant that he, like her, would much rather be doing something else and Celeste remembered something. For the moment, they were alone and so she reached down to her side and handed him a small package, carefully wrapped. "That reminds me. I know that I'm a trial early, but I don't know what plans there might be for tomorrow and I wanted to give you this when we are alone. Happy birthday, Xander."
word count: 615
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Single father | Duke of Andaris
Renown: 142
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Campaigns

Xander hated it, the huge amount of planning that went into making the wedding 'perfect'. Xander did not mind planning but when it was for such pointless reasons, like where to sit his cousin or uncle, it just made him frustrated. He was actually quite glad the majority of the planning was being done by Celeste and his mother, it appeared they were also trying to accommodate his one wish. That wish had been to marry outside, under a tree and with a relatively small amount of people present. He had started to lose interest in the task before he noticed her looking up at him, she had said something about the importance of tables. Maybe the political aspect was something he could pull some interest for.

Xander did admit to himself just how the new maid seemed to be making Celeste dress slightly differently. There was something about her eyes, they seemed to, how could he out it, pop more. It appeared they both had interesting eyes, his a blue that seemed cold and yet compassionate and hers a deep brown, they contrasted greatly but maybe that was a good thing. He felt bad for her straining her neck to look at him and so he brought himself to the floor and lay on his side opposite her. "How can a table mean so much." He groaned as he looked at the map on the floor before them, it was just a table. He was a political man but some things just escaped him. "Maybe if we just have everyone stand, surely that is equal? Then instead of complaining about being placed on different tables they can moan about how their lazy legs are aching." He let out a short chuckle at his own comment before realising just how inappropriate it was.

Quickly moving on he considered her serious suggestion. Xander had almost forgotten about the union of the Empress and the King, he had remembered it being quite the shock during the ball. He knew it meant some great changes were getting set in motion around the Kingdom, he just wasn't completely sure what. He decided he may have to do some research into that, it could cause a great amount of trouble for his plans. He made a mental note to be ready for everything in that area.

"That could work, something that shows each person attending as an important and vital part of our future." Even if they weren't, was what he left out of the statement. He looked at the map again and then placed a finger on the parchment. "Would it be possible to, instead of having us at the head of the banquet, have us at the centre and then circle the tables around us?" He drew with his finger a circle around their table. "The circle could symbolise the dragon of Andaris and our central table a wolfs head, the dragon circling the wolf." He raised an eyebrow and smiled at her curious if he was understanding the issue of nobles feeling unequal.

Xander lay back for a moment and looked at the ceiling with a frown on his face, he was bought back to Celeste when she spoke and he rolled back onto his side. He cocked one leg for support and looked at his companion curiously. He was surprised to be gifted a package as he looked at her. It was only small but he was still caught off guard and even a little excited to discover what it was. "Oh Celeste, thank you, I will be honest I had forgotten it to be my own birthday tomorrow." He did not mention it was due to the huge lack of celebration in the past. "May I open it?" He asked as he ran his hands over it his interest caught on what was contained inside.
Last edited by Xander Andaris on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 647
Celeste Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Campaigns

At the look on his face and then the groan which he gave, Celeste could not help but smile. "Is it such a dreadful hardship, my Lord? To take some small part in planning that trial of which you have dreamed all your life?" It was no more true for him than her, but they had agreed that they would make the most of it. However, neither of them wanted this and, kneeling on the floor Celeste was starting to form an idea. He moved down next to her and he suggested that everyone stood. Her glance told him that she was as amused by his suggestion as he was, but she merely pursed her lips. After all, such a scandalous notion as he had.

She said nothing on his suggestion of a circle around them, but it had planted a seed. So, rather than respond, she looked at the plan and then she sighed slightly. "Xander? I think I have an idea. First, however," and she gave him the gift. He had forgotten that it was his birthday tomorrow? Celeste smiled at that, "I believe it is my role as your fiance and then wife to remember such. Perhaps I should remind you next arc, in case you forget?" Her tone was light but it was the first time that she had thought about it, really. The two of them together in a house this time in an arc. Having been wed in Saun, it was entirely possible that they would be expecting a child by then and she wondered how that felt. Still, it was time to come back to the here and now and she nodded her head. "Of course you can open it. I want you to do so, whilst it is just us. I want to explain something about it to you."

When he opened it, it was a dagger. The craftsmanship was excellent and it had some strange looking attachments. "It is a spring loaded dagger, meant to be worn under clothing, hidden and able to be released. It was made by a master craftsman." The quality of the weapon, the working of it was evident. As he explored it and examined it, Celeste said nothing but then, when she judged it the right time and he was able to pay attention, Celeste spoke to him in a quiet tone. "It is what I want to be for you; a secret weapon which might make all the difference should the time come." It was beautiful, there was no doubting it, but it was deadly too. "I thought about it a lot and I wanted it to be a symbolic gesture. What this," she waved a hand at the tables, "is supposed to be. But this is a real one. This is me, for you."

With that, she took his hands. It was an unusual feeling, still, but no longer unpleasant and one which she was growing quite fond of. He was strong but gentle and that gentleness was rare to the Andaris heiress. "So I have an idea. I think it will annoy your parents, but I believe that it will strengthen your position with the wider nobility and the people of both Krome and Andaris." She motioned to the parchment and with that one wave of her hand she dismissed it.

"There is so much poverty, Xander. People suffer and the anti nobility sentiment grows. Our parents and grandparents are of a generation where excess is the norm and I believe that you and I both wish to be different. So, in the season where literally tens of thousands of nel will be spent on a wedding, lets dare to be different." She looked at him and she was entirely serious. "Lets get married under a tree, just you and I and those we genuinely want there." And their parents, but she felt she probably shouldn't say that. "Then lets donate the money which would have been spent on this lavish nonsense to charities split equally between Krome and Andaris."

It would be a bold move to do that, but Celeste was not done. "Invite these people, give them no feast but instead ask them to bring a donation, in lieu of a gift." It appeared that she was taking it to the extreme. Or it might, until her next words. "And let us write a public letter to the King and Emerson Sands, outlining what we are going to do and inviting them to do the same."
Off Topic
1 x spring loaded dagger (masterwork level) = 20 x 8 gn = 160gn. Deducted from my ledger

word count: 773
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Campaigns

He smiled at her comment, he was not truly sure if she was serious or joking and so he responded. "I suppose when you look at it that way it is only a few hours of our lives and we might as well make the day enjoyable for us." He cotinued to examine the map briefly before he was looking at the ceiling on his back and being roused by the present. He had not expected there to be a gift especially as he had not remembered his own birthday was the next day. "Maybe you can remind me, in fact I am sure you will have too." He had never really thought about then truly having a future together, a whole arc from now they may still be living side by side.

When he was told he could open the gift he did so, carefully but with a slight urgency to discover its contents. His eyes opened with a little surprise when he saw its content, in fact he could not have been more surprised to find what he did. "You really are more than you seem my Lady." He turned the blade over in his hands, weighing it and testing the razor sharp edge. For a few moments he was completely taken in by the weapon, examining and testing the mechanism. It was more than a weapon it was a piece of art, crafted better then anything else he owned and he knew as he looked it over that it must have cost a small fortune.

Next he was surprised by its meaning and her new open admittance of her service to him. Like the dagger she would be his secret weapon, one to fight the battles he could not win alone and to help him in his moments of great need. "I thought I had figured you out, Celeste. I suppose I was wrong, maybe you will never seize to surprise me." He smiled at her, suddenly he saw a different woman, still fragile and afraid but there was some deep power hidden below. He saw the pure ferocious strength and determination that was present inside her, her loyalty would be of great value to him and suddenly he felt he could trust her. Maybe it was getting close to the time he would be able to tell her, he just wasn't sure now was the right time. "I suppose you are much like this dagger, beautiful but deadly. Hidden and concealed but yet strong and dangerous, like a snake in the grass."

As he sat up and looked at her for the first time in his life he felt the urge to kiss a woman, a natural and human desire. Just two seasons earlier he would never have felt such things but now he was changing, he could feel it each trial. The more time he spent alongside this woman the more barriers she broke down, with others he was the same old facade but she had found a way to sneak into his true emotional pool and tug them out. He would have resisted his urge but as she took his hand the primal part of him took over and he leaned forward perched on his crossed legs he brushed a hair behind her ear and attempted to press his lips to hers.

Time seemed to pass too quickly as he attempted something he had never done with meaning. He had kissed people before but never with true emotion fuelling it, this time it was different and if he would succeed he would no doubt end up with a racing heart and a shake in his hands. He made sure to be gentle, not forcing himself upon her and pressing to her lips if he succeeded with soft and precise movement. Having achieved his goal or not once it was over he would sit back, still holding her hands but shock in his eyes at his own actions more than anything else.

He placed a hand over his face briefly. "I am sorry, Celeste, I do not know what came over me." He was still the gentle and strong man Celeste thought him but suddenly he was vulnerable. His face quickly corrected itself and the shock was gone but it had been there and no doubt Celeste would have seen it. "Anyway, your plan, carry one." He tried to move it along whether from embarrassment at his failed kiss or from the awkwardness of its success.

He listened closely to her idea and was amazed even more by the woman today. Her ideas were great, she appeared to have as great a scheming side as himself. "I think it is a wonderful idea, if we can get our parents to allow it I think it could be great. Not only would it help to settle some of the anger at our class from the people but it would also help to save lives I am sure. Not to mention we might become one of the most popular couples in the two Duchies." He chuckled and squeezed her hand. She was smarter and more politically aware than he had ever thought and now with a way to possibly undermine the kings power and respect this was even better.
word count: 883
Celeste Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Campaigns

She was more than she seemed? Well, she very much hoped so considering how hard she worked to ensure that she seemed to be less than she was with everyone. All of her life she had assumed that, when she was wed then she would have to play the game of politics more than ever and, in one way that was true. Yet in another she had found a very different tactic with Xander Krome. She and he were about to be bound to each for the rest of their lives, she would birth the children of the stranger she was to marry. That being the case, it made sense that they spent this time together, that they got to know each other and, in that, Celeste had discovered the possibility of an ally. It was a risk, what she did here, for it left her vulnerable to a man and that was a position which she did not find comfortable at all. Having considered it carefully, however, she knew that no matter what happened she would be vulnerable to him. There was no divorce in Rynmere, once this ceremony was over they would be tied together for life.

One thing had been a constant for her, from her earliest memories. She would not have a marriage like her parents. This left her with a requirement to do things differently and having met Xander she determined just how they could. Allowing him to see the real her, to understand that the woman he was marrying was politically aware, astute and could be utterly ruthless in pursuit of her goals was dangerous; yet it had with it an enormous potential too. Together, truly together, they could be stronger than either of them could manage individually. His understanding of what the dagger meant, what it symbolised about her caused her to smile. The two of them could, if they allowed themselves to, be truly supportive of each other and maybe even happy. Could she dare to consider that a possibility?

Her mind was considering that possibility as Xander reached and moved her hair to behind her ear. Her brown eyes fixed on to his blue and then he moved and kissed her. Celeste made no move to stop him, she realised that it was coming and she knew that she had to learn to get used to his embrace, to his touch. So, she closed her eyes and simply allowed the moment. Which was, it turned out, unlike any moment she had ever experienced and Celeste felt herself relax into his kiss, even return it for a brief moment. There was no force, no hard and demanding possession of her, it was a gentle kiss and she was totally unprepared for it, or for her own response to it.

When he pulled back, she was unsurprised to realise that she was shaking and as she looked at him she saw her own shock reflected in Xander's face. "You should not apologise, my lord. We agreed to slow and steady progress I believe. It... that is, I.." There were a hundred words she thought, but none of them were what she said. Instead, her hands in his she gave a slight smile. "There is nothing to apologise for."

He liked her idea and she nodded, pleased. He was correct though, they would need to get their parents to agree to it. "I will deal with my father." Celeste knew that all she had to do was tell her father that he had agreed already. He would not wish to admit that he did not remember and he would assume that it was a loss of memory because of his drinking. "I suggest that what we do is not ask their permission, but tell them that this is what we are doing. I am quite prepared to say that I, and my father, insist on it if it will help?" Then, she explained, when they got to telling her father, well it could be Xander's turn for him and his parents to insist.

"I believe it could be an excellent move, politically. It will make us unpopular with Cassander, undoubtedly, as it either forces his hand into action he does not want and did not instigate, or it humiliates him." If Celeste was concerned about it being unpopular with Cassander, then she hid it damn well. With serious brown eyes she looked at the man who she would spend her life with. "I suggest we do it quickly, in order to not allow the opportunity for their wedding to be so organised that they can back out of doing anything by using that as an excuse. Also," she was thinking as she spoke and she considered carefully. "Maybe the money should be split between the seven duchies? In a show of unity for all of Rynmere. If we don't do that, then when we send the letter it is a weakness of ours." Politically, that could not be allowed, she knew. "If Cassander gets the letter, and we are giving our money to Krome and Andaris, if he has any sense then he would go one better. That is easy to do if we limit our generosity to our own duchies. He could turn it around, make it something that he does better. No, we need to outmaneuver him and not give him the option to do more than us." Celeste saw it clearly and nodded. "His only option must be to follow our lead. Otherwise, we leave ourselves open and that will never do."
word count: 934
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Campaigns

Her offer was indeed kind but he would not ask her to lie to his parents in order to get them to comply with him. No. He would talk to them alone and inform them of what would be happening, like she had suggested not giving a choice but a statement. He would most likely approach it with a touch more diplomacy but he would not be stopped from doing what they wanted in this situation. This was his and Celeste's wedding after all, it should be up to them what happens and doing this would also solve other issues that would have risen from a large feast and the giving of gifts. Instead this new method was a benefit to them all in the long run and with the addition of the public letter it also helped Xander in ways Celeste could not possibly know.

He thought briefly then commented. "While I appreciate that offer, I believe I should be able to handle bringing them over onto our side in this. However, on the off chance I do not succeed in making them agree with what we have decided then I may need you to do so." He was now sat on his knees as he thought about who he really wanted to invite. He also thought of what this may mean for his status among the people, he may indeed be found to have a strong position and this would help in the arcs to come, especially when his campaign begins. He knew he could persuade his mother, the real issue would be his stubborn father, the man who did not really care but would likely disagree purely because it meant he could not stuff his own face.

"So speed is of the essence, we must send the letter by the day after my birthday, tomorrow I shall approach my parents and bring them on board. That should give yourself time to write a letter and be ready with it by the 51st." He ran his fingers through his hair as he thought about the plan, it made perfect sense to him and she had been the powerhouse behind it. Xander was truly beginning to realise just how valuable she would be to him in the coming seasons. Whatever immortal it was that governed luck must have been watching over them when this union was organised, it appeared it was much better than he had first imagined. "I was lucky to have been arranged in a marriage with you, it appears I had misjudged you when we first met."

She was right about the popularity with Cassander, he would most certainly be unhappy about it. At least that was what Xander thought, unless the boy king had truly changed with this engagement to the empress. "The King's opinion of me is not the highest of my concerns. With the growing class gap and anger towards those who are members of ours it is important we do something to bridge it," his own eyes were now serious as he discussed an issue he wished one day to solve altogether, "the current discontent must be managed and as soon as possibly the situation defused. Our appearance to the people is what I care about, the king is just a man, a rich man who could kill me for disagreeing with him but just a man."

Her ability to scheme and create plans to undermine the king did bring up questions on her goals now though. Did she wish to be king? Was she too a revolutionary? He had so many questions regarding why she would wish to undermine his royal majesty, perhaps she too had secret goals she wished to achieve. Yet, now was not the time or place to press for those. "Your plan is perfect, we shall enact it and then begin the preparations we can start already, wedding invitations and such. As well as the letter and informing our parents of our decision." Xander looked into his intendeds eyes yet again, something had changed now though. Since the attack in the village things were different and he didn't know why but he hoped he would soon understand.
word count: 703
Basilisk Snek
Developer - Staff (TL)
Developer - Staff (TL)
Race: Prophet
Renown: 10
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Staff

Events

Campaigns

Celeste

Story: 5/5
Collab: 5/5
Structure: 5/5

Etiquette: Some nobles take improper table position as an insult
Logistics: Planning your wedding
Politics: Using your wedding to bridge the gap between commoners and nobility
Politics: Baiting the King into taking action
Deception: Lying to your father

Xander

Story: 5/5
Collab: 5/5
Structure: 5/5

Etiquette: Some nobles take improper table position as an insult
Logistics: Planning your wedding
Politics: Using your wedding to bridge the gap between commoners and nobility
Politics: Baiting the King into taking action
Deception: Hiding your rebellion from your wife

Loot: 1 Masterwork spring-loaded dagger

Notes

This was a lot more entertaining to read than I thought it would be. XD I love Celeste's plan to tweak Cassander's nose and get under his skin, and she's pretty tightly closed the loopholes on him. Honestly, probably more effective than Vivian and Zvez's plans.

Aside from a few minor spelling errors that looked to be largely due to muscle memory, such as "one" instead of "on", there weren't any problems with the thread, aside from that the ending felt a touch rushed, as if it was written after it was decided Xander's third post was the last post, rather than before. Nothing worth docking points for though, and I'm definitely looking forward to the wedding itself.

Also, expect a letter from Vivian when word of that letter to Cassander reaches Rharne. =]
word count: 245
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Duchies”