[Krome] What remains, when the battle is won?

Faith

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.
Elyna
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Official Troublemaker
Renown: 231
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

25th Saun
The remaining attackers were dead, or rather, more dead then they had been. The young woman watched as Faith advanced and unfortunately vomited at her feet. It was then that she spun and neatly removed the head of a final undead that had lurched towards them. The head bounced twice on the soft grass before rolling down a divot of the ground only to lodge next to a stone. Elyna drew her sword quickly across her knee to remove the wet blood before she sheaved it. It would make cleaning easier later.

The Skyrider approached the slave and slid a hand beneath the girls armpit and half- lifted half-dragged her back to her feet, “up you get,” she ordered, “this way. Just breathe, Faith – you’ll be alright. In through the mouth and out through your nose. Ready? In through your mouth and out through your nose.” She led the girl towards the treeline where it was shaded and more secluded. Let the soldiers sort out their mess. She wasn’t one of them and she cared far more for the welfare of her companion. She did however manage to swipe a bottle of water from the ground, checked that the cork was intact and tuck it into her pocket. It barely fit but it wouldn’t escape.

Elyna led Faith to the edge where she let her sit down again, opened the bottle and pressed it into her hands. She knelt down before her, hands rested on the girls skinny knees and searched her expression, “you’ll be alright Faith…everyone throws up…I threw up for about the first arc when I joined the Skyriders...what you have seen was awful. But you are okay, and you will be fine. Try and drink some water? Just a sip…nice and slow…”
word count: 306
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

For all she knew there was a second wave of them coming and she could do nothing more than heave up the contents of her stomach as she tried not to think about how the blood had been warm as it poured out of them; the corpses which had been obviously dead but still moved. Just to accentuate that, the quiet thump-thump noise as a head bounced away with an almost casual grace was somehow crystal clear to her, though and Faith might later consider it was because, at the end of the trial, even the Immortals needed a laugh now and then. But she really didn't have time to think about it as she knelt there on the ground, propped up on all fours and thanked Famula that it had receeded to dry heaving. But she could do nothing more than try and go with her as Lady Burhan hoisted her up like a bundle of wet washing and took her off to the side of the woods. She couldn't speak, although she tried and all that she got for her trouble were a few strange mouse-like squeaks and a rather strange gurgle.

Breathe? That should be easy, she considered. She'd been doing it a while, after all, without any real need for forethought or effort. But with her feet pedalling mostly-uselessly, her stomach doing flip flops and strange gurgling squeaks apparently being the only sounds she could make, Faith was starting to doubt the basics. But in through the nose, fine, although the smell of her own vomit was malingering and out through the mouth, also fine but... yes, there was the taste, too. Oh Famula's lantern, she thought, just don't throw up on Lady Burhan. Don't do it. It's bad. Breathe.. no smell, no taste. Just breathing. And so the internal monologue continued as they made their way and Faith started to get to some semblance of aware and able to function.

Somehow, she was sitting and Lady Burhan was kneeling in front of her. Faith wasn't entirely sure how that happened, but she lifted the bottle to her lips obediently, and the water was refreshing and cool and it tasted of not-vomit, so it was very welcome. Lady Burhan was talking and Faith listened to her, attending to her words and her expression. She would be alright? Faith looked at her companion and the terror which had grown in her over those few awful moments came spilling out of her mouth. Thankfully, at least it was in words this time "b...but they were dead. And moving. And.. I've never seen that, Lady Burhan, I haven't. I... I just heard someone talking and I thought my Master would be happy, that's all I wanted, to make Master proud. I didn't... I didn't expect and I've never..." she ran a shaking hand through her hair, then, turning away so that she could pretend, at least, to hide her face.

"I've never seen anything like that and I told Master that I would be brave and protect you. But I wasn't brave, I was afraid" she whispered and she turned back to look at Elyna, her silver eyes brimming with tears, although she did not shed them "I wasn't brave"
word count: 563
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Elyna took a perch beside the young woman and watched the soldiers collecting their dead, from amongst the undead. There had always been stories and rumours about those beyond the grave returning to walk the earth, but the Skyrider hadn’t seen anything like it with her own eyes. This was something else. Something other than bandits and her own stomach turned. Shock rendered her skin grey after the adrenaline faded. Fingers trembled as she retrieved her knife from Faith and wiped it on the grass to clean it. The come down from battle was something she had more practise with though. Despite her horror at what she had seen the Skyrider was practised at sealing the emotion away and dealing with it at a later time; if ever.
The young woman let Faith speak and the words hang. When she turned back however she reached up and pushed the long dark strands back from her features and tucked them gently behind an ear.
“You didn’t run Faith, you didn’t freeze, and you didn’t panic or abandon me. You were afraid but you stood and you fought. That is bravery. There can be no one braver than someone who is frightened and remains,” the Skyrider told her in slow clear tone willing the words to sink in. The Slave had done marvellously. She’d defended herself and Elyna and she’d been ferocious. Fear wasn’t a bad thing when it made you fight, it was dangerous when it crippled you. Elyna searched the girl’s eyes, urging her to find a little self-belief.
“You should be so proud of yourself, Faith.”
word count: 276
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

For just a moment Faith concentrated on drinking the water, which was cool and clear and got rid of the vomit taste from her mouth and nose. More than that, though, it gave her something to focus on, something to do with her hands and her mind and brain as her emotions started to settle just a little. That was a welcome distraction and so the simple, rhythmic movement of taking a regular sip of water became a physical and psychological distraction which allowed her to calm down from the tumultuous experiences of the last few moments. To the young slave, in fact, it was almost as though it gave her a span of time where she could pretend it simply hadn't happened.

Her breathing was slowly, oh so slowly, returning to normal and she smiled at Lady Burhan, albeit somewhat shakily as Elyna moved Faith's hair to behind her ear. She leant, just briefly, into the gesture before she spoke "You are very kind. But I told you to hide and if you had we would all be dead" Faith put her hand on Lady Burhan's and just gently touched the kind woman's trembling fingers. "I should be helping the soldiers and making sure that you are alright. It is not right that you are looking after me. My apologies" she had to pull herself together, she just had to but somehow she couldn't rise, couldn't stop the shaking and couldn't function. Instead of doing what she should be doing, Faith sighed deeply and looked at Lady Burhan with contrition "Before Master bought me, I was owned by Jamal Kash'deel, the undertaker. He brought me to Andaris in Ymiden last arc and only let me leave the back of the shop in Ymiden this arc. I have met so many people but I do not understand why they feel the need to hurt each other. They already have so much" it was true, as far as she could see; those who had so much and wanted for nothing still warred for more. It was confusing to her.

Lady Burhan's next words caused her to smile again, but this time with a shake of her head. She should be proud of herself? "I do not know that I can" there was just a slight tinge of humour in her eyes as she spoke, should Elyna notice such "How can I be proud of swatting at already dead but still moving corpses with a.... a frypan?" she might even look back on this and laugh, one trial. But not this one, she knew that. However, this trial she had a question and she just had to ask it so, wide eyed and with the kind of gaze which showed her as the teenager she still was, she looked at Lady Burhan. When she spoke, she sounded almost breathlessly full of admiration "Where did you learn to fight like that?" motioning to the sword and the way that Elyna had swung it around with such accuracy and grace.

"Could I learn, do you think?" she did not say it, of course, but what she meant was...would she be allowed to? A sword weilding slave sounded like the kind of thing that many people would not approve of, after all.
word count: 557
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Elyna found that she was smiling back, “Faith, I’m a Skyrider. You’re a lovely girl but I’d be a poor soldier if I took orders from a civilian in the middle of a fight,” the smile had eased into a cautious grin and the Skyrider let her arms drape over her knees. At Faiths’ suggestion that she help the soldiers in the clean-up operation, she merely shrugged, “nah,” she slid further away from the Noble woman Faith could probably have expected from Lady Burhan.
“Let them work and fix the mess. I’ve no intention of helping, and I’m well enough, Faith. Just rest with me,” she reached out and patted the girl’s hand. Still wearing the same satisfied smile that refused to fade. The young woman felt proud of their achievement and that they’d seen the battle out well. She felt that she’d given a good account of herself and all things considered, was pleased. More and more she felt more like her usual self and less afraid. As though Marcus had locked her away in more than a room, but in her mind as well. Mentally, emotionally, the victory of a small battle had set her free.
She was shocked by Faith’s history but held her tongue, unwilling to pass judgment where Faith refused to. The girl spoke simply and without inflection to the negative or positive. They were simply the facts of her life…but they infuriated Elyna. How could people believe they had any right to control the lives of other beings? Slaves, or animals, she’d seen too much cruelty in the world to be comfortable with that sense of ownership. She ran her tongue over her bottom lip and considered a reply for the young woman before it faded from her lips. Another time perhaps.
The grin returned and Elyna lay back on the grassy bank and watched the dappled light through the trees. The clean-up operation was well underway and she intended to take the most of their chance to rest. Tomorrow they would return to Andaris. Tomorrow she would face her Uncle.
“You defended yourself. Doesn’t matter if it’s with a spatchular, a spoon or a sword – as long as it works,” she assured the girl. “I joined the Skyriders when I was sixteen…my parents let me join as a trade really. If I joined, then I would be a dutiful daughter and marry who and when they told me to,” she pulled a deep breath of summer air in. Ignoring the taint of death that lingered in the distance. “I broke my promise to them to marry Malcolm, so I’m not a Burhan anymore. That was the arrangement.” As though she’d forgotten who she was speaking to, the young woman searched the blue sky above. Strange how horrific things seemed to happen on beautiful days.
“But it turns out that I’m not married either…and so I guess it’s just me. Me and my baby,” before the farce of a wedding, Elyna had made her peace with the future. A future where she would have the child and raise it with neither her noble family, nor a fantasy family with Malcolm. In some ways it was easier to return to that future and to picture it. She wouldn’t marry Marcus, no matter what. The young woman blinked and realised that she’d digressed.
“I’d teach you, Faith. I’d enjoy that once the baby is born. I think you could learn anything you could put your mind to.” Elyna had long been toying with the idea of setting up a class for young woman in particular to teach self-defence. If the world ever settled and she returned to the Skyriders, pregnant’ be a glorified instructor. What would a few more lessons take? Now though, more than ever she believed that everyone deserved the chance to learn how to defend themselves. Even with all of her experience, she'd failed to defend herself. She wouldn't give up though. They deserved a chance to try and marriage laws in Rynmere were harsh and too many people were trapped.
word count: 706
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

"You are a skyrider?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. She had no idea what that was but it sounded like a very exciting thing. But Lady Burhan, who Faith was coming to the conclusion was a mystery wrapped in an enigma and all packed in a very likeable woman, simply patted her hand and told her to rest with her. Because as Faith looked at her and smiled a slight smile she realised that Lady Burhan loooked different. What was it? She looked more relaxed, more at home. Like this was what made sense to her. Or maybe like she was no longer a victim, not in her mind or her head or her heart. Faith wondered if that was what freedom looked like, right there, but she quickly pushed the thought out of her mind.

It was a wonderfully decadent thing to do but Lady Burhan had instructed her to rest with her, so Faith lay down on the grass and looked up at the sky. With a contented sigh she felt herself relax and then turned to look at Lady Burhan with a dawning sense of horror. Listening to the noble Lady's words, Faith turned and propped her head up on her hand as she listened to her. She didn't speak, she just listened and she waited until Lady Burhan finished speaking.

Except, of course, she wasn't Lady Burhan.

Faith looked at her and she spoke in her usual quiet tone. "I owe you an apology and it is most sincerely meant. I did not consider what I was calling you, my Lady" she explained, her silver grey eyes searching Elyna's face. "My Master called you Lady Burhan and so I did the same. But that is not your name. I can not call you what you would prefer I did, my Master does not allow me to address free men and women by just their first names. Perhaps I could call you Lady Elyna?" she asked, her voice soft and earnest. The woman spoke of not being married, Faith did not understand it but she did not question it. "Not just you and your baby, Lady Elyna. You have good friends and they are worth their weight in gold nells, I believe" sad to say, she didn't know. The young woman had no friends of her own, her lifestyle simply did not allow it. But then, it was more complicated than that ~ until very recently she had not been allowed to think of herself as a person. Now, things were changing for her and quickly.

"If you would teach me, and Master would allow me to learn, I would be most pleased to" she replied. Then, she spoke again and she did so from her heart "Does being married matter, Lady Elyna? If you are married to Lord Krome" she motioned over to where Marcus Krome was, sort of "It will not make you love him." There was more there, logic that followed, but she did not go further it was not her place. And that she did not love Marcus Krome? That was no bad thing, Faith considered, especially in light of how he had treated her. But more than that she did not say, because it simply was not her place to do so. So instead, she asked a very simple question.

"My lady, what is a Skyrider?"
► Show Spoiler
word count: 593
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Elyna was relieved when Faith decided to lay down. The woman closed her eyes and let the rest of the world slip away for a few precious moments. The power had turned and she was, once more, in control of her own destiny. Marcus’s forces were depleted and the young man had more important things to worry about, than where she was and what she was doing. It was the heartfelt apology that saw her frown, pushing herself onto her elbows and look across at the girl.
“Faith, you don’t owe me anything. It doesn’t matter, it’s nothing you could have known. You are welcome to call me Sargeant, Ely, Elyna or Lady Elyna if that is the only title you are permitted by your Master,” she shrugged. Friends. Faith had no choice but to be here and beside her but she still considered the woman to be a friend. Maybe that was a mistake though. If Faith were truly freed then would she abandon her at the first chance? Or would she happily plunge a dagger into her heart? No, Elyna dismissed the thought. The woman beside her wasn’t angry at the world or her position. She wasn’t insane either or prone to random violence. Elyna liked her. If Tristan and Alistair were friends, then Faith surely was one too and it made the Skyrider smile for a moment to be reminded of that. She missed Levinia though, Sabine and Vakhanor too. Such different personalities but unique and special friends. Discounting the disturbing dream she’d had about the Smith more recently.
Does being Married matter? Elyna felt the air squeezed suddenly from her lungs. Sitting up further she pushed a blade of grass of her kneecap. “No,” she admitted. “In many ways it doesn’t matter. I love the Father of my child, I love Malcolm. He betrayed me though, and that matters. If we were legally married – I wouldn’t be here. Marcus would never…” She stopped herself before bitterness could overwhelm her. The Skyrider returned to her feet.
“A Skyrider is a bit like a Knight. We have many of the same duties and responsibilities. Keeping the peace, investigating crimes. We’re mounted though on Volarean or Jacadon. It means we can cover greater distances and go to those villages that might not have representatives of the Iron Hand amongst them,” the faint smile had returned and she extended a hand to the girl.
“I suggest we return to the group. I’d rather ride into Andaris, then be sat in the back of a wagon.”
word count: 436
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Kind and strong, all in one. That was what Lady Elyna seemed to Faith and the slave smiled her gratitude for that. So she nodded her head and spoke in her soft and earnest tone "Lady Elyna, then. Thank you." she paused, uncertain of her next words but she felt it and so she said it "I am glad that Master sent me with Lord Venora, Lady Elyna."

She had not thought that this might be true, for this woman was married to Malcolm, who Faith had a very complex and utterly overwhelming crush on. Of course, the young woman did not see it as such and she felt deep emotions for the man that she had met precisely once. She was quite clear that she was in love with him as fully as any person had ever been in love and nothiing would deter her from that fact. But whilst that was undoubtedly true, Faith held no ill will towards Lady Elyna for the undeniable fact that Malcolm loved her. The young slave had no jealousy in her and if Elyna made Malcolm happy then that was more than enough for Faith to be content. But, since meeting Lady Elyna, Faith had developed a strong respect for her and she had grown to like her in her own right. It was no wonder that Malcolm loved his wife how much he did, considering who she was, Faith considered.

But as much as Faith's undeniable crush led her to believe that Malcolm was beyond reproach, she could not deny the truth of Lady Elyna's words. If the wedding that Master had been present at had been legitimate, then Marcus Krome would not be able to make any claim to Lady Elyna, for she would be a married woman. So, whilst Faith was in no doubt that Malcolm could not have foreseen this, there was no arguing with Lady Elyna's words and she frowned in thought as that realisation sunk into her consciousness.

But as she mulled that over she listened to what a Skyrider was, standing next to Lady Elyna as soon as the noble woman stood. Nodding in agreement as they made their way back to the main group, Faith imagined what a wonder if must be to fly on Jacadon or Volarean and to look down at the world from that vantage point. She smiled to herself and considered that such an experience would be more than a slave would ever have. But she nodded "As you say. Although, I must admit to only now getting used to riding horses, so I am glad that is all that is on offer" she smiled and made her way back for them to continue on their journey.
► Show Spoiler
word count: 468
Kingdom
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

CASSANDER
King of Rynmere

Elyna

Knowledge:

Unarmed Combat: Roll into dodge
Medicine: Water to settle upset stomach
Medicine: How to breathe when panicked
Medicine: Dealing with shock
Saun: Fighting the undead
Faith: Wouldn't abandon you
Faith: Once owned by Jamal Kash'deel, the undertaker
Faith: Thinks love matters more than marriage

Loot: n/a
Injuries: n/a
Fame: n/a

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 5/5
Structure: 5/5

Faith

Knowledge:

Medicine: How to breathe when panicked
Medicine: Dealing with shock
Saun: Fighting the undead
Elyna: Doesn't panic
Elyna: Has a kind heart
Elyna: Joined the skyriders when she was sixteen
Elyna: Broke a promise to her family when she married Malcolm
Elyna: Is willing to teach you
Elyna: A skyrider
The purpose of a skyrider

Loot: n/a
Injuries: Just a little shaky for the day
Fame: n/a

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 5/5
Structure: 5/5

Comment: Sorry I couldn't find a lot, give us a poke if you really wanted something I missed.

word count: 169
A N D I T' S A L L J U S T S M A L L S T U F F, B A B Y.
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Duchies”