• Solo • [Venora] Time after time

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.

Moderators: Basilisk, Pegasus, Plague

• Solo • [Venora] Time after time

Postby Faith » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:06 pm

20th Saun, 716

She missed him.

How could that be, Faith thought, as she knelt next to the campfire. She was preparing the meal for Lord Venora and she had learnt over the last few trials what he liked and what he didn't. And she was very aware that the food they had on the road was dull. Like, really dull. Last night, they'd stayed at an Inn and so Faith had taken the opportunity to get some fresh meat and vegetables. The dried and salted meat that she'd packed was good, and it was tasty, but there was nothing juicy about it so she had decided that she was going to make sure that Lord Venora had a good meal inside him even though he was in camp, not an Inn.

Besides, it stopped her thinking about him. Because she missed him. Which was ludicrious, she knew, why would she? But she did.

So, having gotten the supplies she needed, she knelt by the camp fire and she considered what they had eaten all the time here. Stew. Soup. More stew and hard, salted, dried meat. Faith determined that tonight, Lord Venora was going to eat something tasty, with a bit of flavour to it and fresh. So, she chose her herbs and spices, got the chicken and first cut it into eight distinct pieces: 2 breast halves, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks and 2 wings. She would use the breasts for this meal so she cut off the other pieces and she put them into a pot with the carcass, stock, onions and vegetables so that come the morning she would be able to strain that, pull the meat off the bone and prepare it tomorrow, when they believed there would not be an Inn to stay at either.

No beds to sleep in, and somehow in such a short space of time she had grown used to sleeping in a bed. But she knew that it wasn't the sleeping in a bed that caused this aching feeling. It was worry. Was he eating properly? If he was, was it because he was staying at his Grandmother's house? Where was he? She didn't want to think of him not eating well, that was something that she did, she fed him.

Left with the breast meat and Faith seasoned that and rubbed it with the deep orange turmeric spice and a little paprika, then smothered it with butter and wrapped it up to marinate whilst she part boiled some potatoes and chopped up the onions. This she did as quickly as she could and she made sure not to rub her eyes as she did so, just letting them water. Once the onions were chopped, she moved the part boiled potatoes from the fire and she got the frying skillet. Frying off the onions, she sliced up the chicken into chunks, pleased that the spices had started to permeate in there. She put the chicken into the frypan with the onions and then added more spice, just a little, and a lot of butter which formed the base of sauce. As it all started to bubble away, Faith added the tomatoes which would spice and taste the sauce and then drained the potatoes from the pot, mashed them up very finely and put them to one side. The spiced chicken she cooked on the fire and then kept warm with hot stones and so on whilst she added more of the chopped onions to the potatoe and fried those together, as she had no rice so she hoped that this would work as a reasonable substitute.

And still, through it all she missed him. So, as she finally put the spiced chicken into the hot-pot that she had on a small fire, with the riced potatoe and onions in a basket hanging in the pot above it, Faith considered carefully what it was that she was feeling. She had spent so long pining after Malcolm, thinking about Malcolm and what he meant to her, that she really hadn't considered anything about Master. It just wasn't there in her mind and she was a little horrified when she thought that, in fact, she had probably just taken him for granted. Sighing deeply, she spoke into the darkness in a soft whisper which she hoped would carry on the breeze all the way back to Master's ears.

"Well, now, you see, here's the thing. I miss you" she said as she fussed around and got things cleaned. Ready for the next bit where she would make flatbreads, whilst the spicy chicken slowly infused with flavour. "And it isn't because I haven't seen you but it's because I want to see you. It's different" it was, too. She missed his smile, she missed waking up and thinking about him (although she still did that!) and she missed looking up and feeling delighted as he walked through the door. Going to help Lady Burhan, Faith felt that she should really be thinking of Malcolm more, but the reality was that it was Master who was in her mind and she sighed deeply as she got together the ingredients for the flatbreads, praying to Famula that she might see him again.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."
Ashan 718: Relief Effort!
Cally's Restaurant & Charity | Isonomia Faction|Luna's Dream (Orphanage)
Beacon Village~Scalvoris Soup Kitchen
Faith
Life, Death & The In-Between

Race: Human
Profession: Chef / Professor
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 52
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Guild Master (1) Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Supporter (1) Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Living Legend (1) Ascension (1) Hallowed (1) Pioneer (4)
Hoarder (1) ...ow. (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1) Changed (1)
Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1)

[Venora] Time after time

Postby Faith » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:48 pm

20th Saun, 716
It was almost undeniable, she thought to herself. She was losing her mind. She was talking to Master whilst cooking for his cousin in a camp where they were going to try and save a woman who was married to the man she had a crush on. It was more than fair to say that a lifetime in the slave school in Athart had not prepared Faith for any of this. For meeting people, for being allowed out and being treated like a human being, for people apparently caring about her and then all of it. It was all just too much and her emotions were reeling. Really, she considered, what she needed to be able to do was to just go back to where she knew that she wasnt a person, not at all. Because that was what she knew and what she understood.

There was no time to worry this through, though, instead she had to get these flatbreads started, so she put some butter and milk on the heat together, just off the side so that it didn't burn. Whilst keeping an eye on that she mixed flour, salt, some more butter, put everything together and then kneaded it for a few minutes. It didn't take a lot, she knew, but she had to make sure that the mixture was smooth. As she kneaded the dough, her mind wandered once again, this time to Malcolm. He was married and she had met him only once. Yet, she felt so very much for him that she found it hard to put into words. And they were going to try and save or help or rescue his wife. That should be difficult, she considered, but it wasn't; if Malcolm loved this woman then he did and Faith wished them happiness. Was that what love was supposed to feel like? Her hands moved in the rhythmic kneading as she vividly recalled Malcolm's face in front of her. What would he think of this? Of these clothes and this change? Would he judge her harshly? And then, Master, who she cared about deeply, but her feelings for him were so very different than her feelings for Malcolm.

Faith sighed, shook her head and put the now well-kneaded mixture into a bowl, covered it with a cloth and took some time to clean the pans that she had used, continuing to keep an eye on the spiced chicken. The warm water for cleaning was soothing on her hands and she concentrated on scrubbing the pots and pans. She knew what she was used to, she was used to being nothing, no one. "This slave is no one" she muttered and she felt a strange feeling. As her hand moved, scrubbing hard, Faith felt cross. She rarely felt this emotion, in fact it might be the first time she had.

Because, it was too much.

They told her she was one thing all her life. All her life and then along comes this man and his family and he buys her and he tells her she was a person. How did that fit? "This slave is no one" And maybe if Master said she was a person, then she was, but that meant that all the others were wrong and the Owners... how could the Owners be wrong? Because if they were wrong then she wasn't who she thought she was.

It was much, much too much.

Recognising that it was agitating her, Faith pushed it to one side. She had to cook the flatbreads now because the spiced chicken was done, with the potato and onion rice hanging on top the steam from the cooking pot should have kept that moist and tasty. So, she quickly rolled out small balls of the dough, flattened them and fried them in a dry frypan. She had to keep it moving constantly so it did not stick but then it puffed up slightly and the bread, lightly salted as it was had a pleasant taste to it that complimented the spiced chicken perfectly. She made more than needed, the rest she would use later, putting any leftover food in them, folding them and sealing them tight as snacks. She would also, in the morning or later tonight depending, drain the stock that she had made, store the stock for tomorrow but use some of the meat and vegetables, squeezed dry and stuffed into the flatbreads too. And she decided that, since she could not consider these things, could not work them out, that she would leave them be.

So, she served Lord Venora his food and ate off to the side, in her quiet area and did not think about it.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."
Ashan 718: Relief Effort!
Cally's Restaurant & Charity | Isonomia Faction|Luna's Dream (Orphanage)
Beacon Village~Scalvoris Soup Kitchen
Faith
Life, Death & The In-Between

Race: Human
Profession: Chef / Professor
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 52
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Guild Master (1) Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Supporter (1) Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Living Legend (1) Ascension (1) Hallowed (1) Pioneer (4)
Hoarder (1) ...ow. (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1) Changed (1)
Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1)

[Venora] Time after time

Postby Malcolm » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:24 am

Faith

Knowledge:
Basic
Cooking: Preparing and deboning a chicken
Cooking: Spices that go well with chicken
Psychology: Dealing with new emotions
Cooking: Kneading dough

Loot: n/a
Injuries: n/a
Fame: A kind act (cooking for Al) +2

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 0/5
Structure: 4/5

Comment: I enjoyed the detail regarding the cooking and even after eating the nicest meal in the word tonight, that story made me hungry so good job! I was always told never to start a sentence with a conjunction (like the word 'and' or 'but', and that numbers under ten should always be written in full (I just write all numbers in full honestly but that's just me). Starting a sentence with a conjunction is one of those old beefs from the nineteen hundreds where teachers got sick of children over using conjunctions at the start of sentences so instead of saying "only use them from time to time" they ban the use of them completely and generations of people grew up thinking it was a very bad thing to do. It's not against the rules, but using too many doesn't always result in the nicest prose. I think it would be an idea to try a comma where you have started quite often with a conjunction and just double check the flow by reading it once or twice (I'm sure you edit, I know I edit all of my posts and in my head they sound great, but the other day after reading two stories to my brother, I was mortified by the way they sounded once I gave them voice hahaha). I struggled a bit with the knowledge on this one so feel free to highlight some specifics in PM if you were gunning for something in particular.
Malcolm
Approved Character

Race: Naerikk
Renown: +179
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Medals: 30
Story of the Month (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Beta Bot (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1) Pioneer (1)
Hoarder (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1) Right In The Feels (1) True Love (1)
Married (1) Heartbreak (1) Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1)
Scandalous (1) Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Puppet Master (1)
Legend In Waiting (1) Lol Worthy (1) Ymiden 716 (1) Vhalar 716 (1)
Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Winner Idalos Awards 2016 (3) Holiday Event 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Return to Duchies