• Closed • [Venora] In Saun, Everyone Suffers

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.

Moderators: Basilisk, Pegasus, Plague


• Closed • [Venora] In Saun, Everyone Suffers

Postby Faith » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:53 am

Image
25th Saun 716

Back in the camp when the two of them were alone in the tent, Faith had looked at Elyna with a calm expression as the woman asked about friends, and just what she did to deserve friends. She looked around the tent and spied what she needed. "My Master was Lord Tristan Venora" she said, first rummaging briefly in her bag and pulling out some herbs, which she dropped into the bowl of water, then pulling out some clean rags which she ripped into small pieces and dipped them in the bowl. "There was an article in the Gazette, Mistress, about your forthcoming wedding to Lord Krome and he spoke to Lord Alistair and they deemed me an appropriate gift" once she had the rags in there, she knelt in front of Lady Burhan and held out her hand. "May I see your wrists, Mistress?" she asked, motioning to Elyna as she did so that she would whisper as she did.

The herbs in the water were soothing and, if allowed, she applied them to Lady Burhan's wrist, talking in a normal voice now and then, to ask things like "Is that soothing, Mistress?" she knew that if she was totally silent, then it would be suspicious, so she spoke now and then. Cool, soothing rags held in place by bandages. "They might itch, Mistress, try not to scratch" But at other times, in a voice so low that Elyna would only just be able to hear it, Faith spoke to her. This close, Elyna could see that the young slave had a fading black eye and a mostly healed split lip. "I heard servants talking, saying that a noble lady had been captured against her will and held. Then I heard your name and Master, who has not given me to you, but we must continue to pretend, had mentioned you before. So I told Master and we spoke to Lord Venora to stage a rescue" she smiled slightly, looking at Lady Burhan apologetically. "Would you like me to brush your hair, Mistress?" she asked, in her normal tone. Then, she continued whispering "Not the most successful rescue in the history of them. But I have a dagger hidden in the bones of the corset of my dress. It is probably safest there for the moment, but please instruct me when you wish it, or I can sew it into your dress, if you wish. But it is hidden in the bones of the corset, otherwise a tap-down or such would reveal it. What would you like me to do?" she queried with an earnest expression "I will do my best, Mistress. I'm sure we can sort it out. Do you have anything that needs mending?" she spoke the last in her normal voice, hoping that Lady Burhan understood just what she meant.

She tried to make sure that Lady Burhan ate that evening, suggesting that it was good for the baby if she had to, but not pushing it. Alongside that, she did absolutely everything in her power to make the Lady comfortable. Because there were still miles to go before they could rest, the young woman suspected. And the Lady Burhan was going to need every ounce of strength that she had.

~~~

And so, when they broke camp, Faith had done what could only be described as fussing to make sure, once again, Lady Burhan was comfortable. However, she had noticed the Lady's lack of comfort at being there when Faith fussed, and so Faith had tried to make things comfortable for her without her noticing. She had put the softest blanket in the wagon for Lady Burhan to sit on, the pillow from the bed was propped in there, too, so that Lady Burhan could rest her back and Faith tried to rig up something to shade Lady Burhan from the burning Saun suns. Faith slipped and did that so that Lady Burhan was faced with it when she got there. And then Faith knelt in the wagon with her, quietly. If it was possible she would work on some sewing, but if not she knelt quietly and did not bother Lady Burhan unless she wished to speak. Faith was aware that the Lady was uncomfortable at someone being so close to her, but she had a job to do and she was going to do it.

As they travelled, she kept her eyes out for Lord Venora, hoping to make sure that he was well and safe. And also because there might have been a change of plan, or something might have happened and he might need to communicate with her or Lady Burhan in some way. She also watched to try and gather as much information as she could about the troops of Lord Krome - who was he talking to, who did he look comfortable around and was there ever a time when he looked tense or ... different in any way. And of his people, who were the watchers, who were the action / movers. As much information as she could gather from observation, she would.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."
Ashan 718: Relief Effort!
Cally's Restaurant & Charity | Isonomia Faction|Luna's Dream (Orphanage)
Beacon Village~Scalvoris Soup Kitchen
User avatar
Faith
Life, Death & The In-Between
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:12 am
Race: Human
Profession: Chef / Professor
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 52
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Guild Master (1) Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Supporter (1) Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Living Legend (1) Ascension (1) Hallowed (1) Pioneer (4)
Hoarder (1) ...ow. (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1) Changed (1)
Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1)

In Saun, Everyone Suffers

Postby Elyna » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:16 am

Image
Elyna sank onto the camp bed and watched as Faith bustled and fussed. Obedient she presented her wrists and watched bemused as they were tended to and cared for, “please, Faith – please just call me Elyna. I’m not…I’m no one’s mistress. Despite the nagging exhaustion she listened to what the woman had to say and nodded as the information was absorbed. She trailed fingertips down the freckled skin of her nose as she considered before finally shaking her head, “I’ve got a knife, in my bag,” she admitted and found that she couldn’t meet the young woman’s gaze. If she was armed, she could hear Faith asking, why hadn’t she fought her way free? Because where would she go? A Skyrider, unable to escape and bound more tightly by fear then the metal shackles. A knife made by a Smith of a rare and expensive metal; a symbol of friendship.
They’d eaten together but before falling asleep Elyna had made a quiet promise that she wouldn’t let anyone hurt the girl. Perhaps it was ridiculous to promise something she couldn’t provide for herself, but only Marcus held power over the Skyrider and as much as he was a bastard the young woman didn’t think he would attack the slave unprovoked.
She’d slept easier and dreamless, comforted by the thought of distant friends. Alistair was risking a lot to come himself and she hadn’t seen him in arcs. Had they ever been friends? What of Tristan? She’d liked the young man but hadn’t dreamt he’d make any efforts on her behalf. He was a good man though.
The young woman would have needed to be blind to miss the changes that Faith had worked in their wagon. She studied the blanket, pillow and canopy carefully before sitting down, with thanks towards the girl. It was astonishing how a few changes made such a difference. When she realised that Faith was waiting, patiently and obediently for orders, Elyna looked around uneasy, “Faith,” she gestured to her bag, “this is…dull and it’s hot and you must be bored. Please do anything you can to entertain yourself. You’re welcome to anything you can find in my bag, I have some embroidery threads if you like?”
Elyna collected the lucette herself and skein of brown wool. Keeping her hands busy, with the Hawk perched beside her, she started winding the wool into little knots. Comforted by the repetitive motion, hot but no longer burning the woman slipped inevitably into sleep. Curled up on the blanket with her arm wrapped over her face.

***


The days had fallen into a pattern. Travelling for the majority of hours of every day and pausing only to pitch camp and rest the horses. Faith liked to fuss and Elyna watched, bemused. The Skyrider found that at times she spoke to Alistair and the young woman in quiet voices. She was going to see Veljorn that much she knew. The rest of her plan was hazy. The woman was furious, silently seething. Marcus watched her whenever he could but he made little attempt to approach her again in Faith’s company.
On the 25th the day had progressed as normal and they had travelled endless miles. Anticipation curled in Elyna’s own stomach and she and Faith sat at the back of their wagon. Marcus had realised that she wouldn’t run. After all, with her pregnancy she was limited in how far she could flee and Elyna watched the clouds moving over the sky.
“Faith…” she broached the quiet that existed between them, “would you help me with my hair?” It was the first time she had accepted the offer. If she was going to see her Uncle on the next trial, she wanted to look presentable. She had a clean set of clothes and the scar on her leg had finally closed, beneath the pad and bandages.
User avatar
Elyna
Approved Character
 
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 am
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Official Troublemaker
Renown: +231
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Partner
Letters
Medals: 30
Story of the Month (1) Reviewer's Choice (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1)
Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Ambassador (1) Alpha Testing (1) Beta Bot (1)
One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1) In Your Favor (1) Pioneer (2)
Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1) True Love (1) Married (1) First Kiss (1)
Heartbreaker (1) Starting A Family (1) Murderer (1) Scandalous (1)
Dreamer (1) Puppet Master (1) Legend In Waiting (1) Ymiden 716 (1)
Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Winner Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)
Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

In Saun, Everyone Suffers

Postby Alistair » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:59 am

Image
They had been traveling along the road towards Andaris. From what Alistair gathered, Veljorn would begin the siege of the city very soon. It was likely that Venora's forces had already mobilized, and if Theodore had done well, hopefully with the assistance of Warrick's Skyriders. The House of Andaris was of course also important to include, and luckily Peake had been receptive to Alistair's plans at an anti-rebellion. Things were falling into place, even though he was not there to enforce them. What mattered now was ensuring that Marcus' reinforcement party and his presence as a general would be reduced.

Also, that Elyna had a chance to spread her wings and benefit the counter-rebellion. To this matter, the Coven had begun to act in his interests, and Alistair had noticed their signs. On the road, there had been a few dead animals with very hideously damaged flesh. This was a message from them that they were following ahead of the group, waiting for a proper moment. As the road came through heavy forestry, he knew that moment would soon come. Before it could, though, Alistair had to ensure that all went smoothly. Duncan's horse was beside his, the mercenary brought as Alistair's sole protection for if something went unwell without Marcus' notice. The Krome didn't want to be responsible for the grief of "Her Majesty" and so he allowed Alistair Duncan as his company.

The Venora leaned into the man and whispered into his ear. "If anything happens, soon, don't fight back," he ordered him. While he was sure the mercenary would have a perplexed look come upon him, the Venora looked away and straight. He said little else, but examined his surroundings. Beyond the treeline, he could already see evidence of the Coven at work. Beyond a thick flurry of trees, a flesh golem watched them, its arms clinging to a tree as the beast's freakish eyes stared beyond. But few, perhaps none, would notice. They were marching ahead like the good soldiers that they were, and the creature to most would likely appear as some odd tan fungus. As they went further on, though, the march was halted by a cloaked man who stood in the center of the road.

"Stop," he commanded. "Stop your march."

Alistair tilted his head slightly and parted his lips as if to appear confused, despite the fact that he was far from it. The man spoke again, with some of the bannermen continuing to march forward despite his commands. "Stop."

Alistair placed his hand against Duncan's shoulder, tugging him slightly. This was his warning - don't fight them. Don't protect me. Whatever the reason, he expected the mercenary to obey.

And without much pause, the man removed his cloak and revealed himself; a hideously disfigured beast, with rot consuming him and a jaw that had half torn from his face. Out of the treeline and bushes came a flurry of vile beasts, from men nearly without appendages to dogs with their ribs fully revealed. And from behind the line came a monstrous mass of flesh that began bashing into Marcus' retinue, pummeling the soldiers as they struck blows that hardly seemed to phase it. Alistair said nothing, did nothing, and did not move. He looked for Faith and Elyna with his eyes. He'd been traveling alongside them, but the faltering of the line would have sent them into some disarray.

Men screamed in terror and the masses of soldiers were fractured and beginning to waver. The hordes of the undead had converged upon them - a fearless and undying force that could not be bested in the same way as the flimsy bodies of mankind.

"Duncan, find them. Find Faith and Elyna."
User avatar
Alistair
Remember why mages are feared.
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:12 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Doctor
Renown: +390
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Letters
Medals: 39
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Shop Keeper (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Pioneer (1) Hoarder (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (1) Married (1) First Kiss (1) Heartbreaker (1)
Heartbreak (1) Changed (1) Starting A Family (1) Murderer (1)
Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1) Party Animal (1)
Keep it in the Family (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1) Legend In Waiting (1)
Cheater (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

In Saun, Everyone Suffers

Postby Duncan Oisin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:34 am

Image
Duncan wasn't used to travelling for such long and uninterrupted (((hours))) and his body was beginning to protest the slow punishment. His horse, Tac didn't seem too impressed either, far more used to pulling wagon's than having human's sit on him. The horse was expressing this by eating the hair of anyone who came close enough, something Duncan found bother hilarious and satisfying, as most of the victims were the soldiers travelling around them. He appreciated the distraction that his horse offered, for the rest of the situation around him was starting to fray his nerves.

The mercenary had known that working for Alistair would come with it's challenges, heck, the first trial on the job had shown him that, but being pulled into a war was something ha had been far outside expectation for him, and something he'd hoped to avoid. Stewing over all that was going on, Duncan started as Alistair leant over to whisper in his ear. Don' fight back? So, really he was being told not to do what he was employed to do? Duncan raised a brow in confusion, but quickly corrected his expression to avoid drawing the attention of the soldiers around them.

Duncan pulled his horse to a stop as those around him did, craning his neck to catch a glimpse of the figure ahead, beginning to feel the first stirrings of anxiety in his gut. Alistair touched his shoulder, and Duncan resolved to trust the man, a resolve that was shaken almost immediately as the monster ahead of them tore off his cloak, and others swooped in from each side. Horrified, Duncan was only just able to restrain himself from reacting in kind with those around him, and instead fixed his gaze on Alistair, listening as the other man called directions to him over the yells and snarls.

With a frustrated growl Duncan tugged the reins to his right while simultaneously urging the horse forward with his heels, prompting Tac to turn in a tight circle and gallop towards the back of the line. The horse shied slightly at the sight of the monsters behind them, but after some stern urging he caught his stride, moving at a full gallop. He couldn't remember where the girls had last been, other than somewhere behind them, and that made his job a touch harder to carry out.

"Faith!" He bellowed as he rode down the line. "Elyna!" His head swung from left to right in search of the two women, trusting Tac's preservationist instincts to keep them from galloping into any of the fray's breaking out around them. Duncan did his best to ignore the beasts and monsters as they attacked, a task made easier by their hideous appearances, something that made them even more difficult to look on. For the most part their attention was fixed to the soldiers around them, but the occasional rotting hound would snap at Tac as he galloped past. Duncan didn't bother drawing his gladius; for they most part due to the fact that the blade was too short to be used for mounted combat, but also because he was trying his best to trust Alistair.

Desperate to find their two other companions and make his way back to Alistair with as much speed as possible, Duncan called out their names again, and spurred Tac on by squeezing his knees into the horses sides and snapping the reins to urge him on faster. Though the horse snorted fiercely and swung his head angrily, he did as his master directed, powering through the tangle of soldiers and monsters.
Image

"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night,
and when you move fall like a thunderbolt"

5/3
User avatar
Duncan Oisin
everyone sucks™
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 4:26 am
Location: Ne'haer here nor there
Race: Human
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: +14
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 11
Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1) One Arc Later... (1) First Love (1)
Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1) Right In The Feels (1) Heartbreak (1) Changed (1)
Lol Worthy (2) Holiday Event 2016 (1)

In Saun, Everyone Suffers

Postby Faith » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Image
"I would be more than pleased to do so, Lady Burhan" she had replied, when asked to assist her with her hair. Faith was used to being useful and she wanted to help Lady Burhan every way that she could. She had done her best with the food, making sure that she cooked things which Lady Burhan seemed to like, and trying to get as much nourishment into her as possible without overwhelming her. When she had access to it in the camp, she made some flatbreads from the stores they had and she cooked them in hot stones underneath the fire. Stuffed with vegetables or meats, they were tasty and were also something that they could carry with them so Lady Burhan was able to snack throughout the trial, if she wished it. She also kept wrapped up some cold meat and sticks of vegetables for Lady Burhan, for the same reason.

It seemed that the young slave was quite determined that Elyna would be well and as healthy as she could be when they got where they were going. So, she had very happily acquiesced to her wish to have her hair done. She didn't mention that the majority of her experience in dressing ladies hair was from doing so once they were deceased. Somehow, she didn't think that Lady Burhan would appreciate it. But little tricks like a few drops of lemon juice in a glass of water spritzed over her hair to bring out the shine, that kind of thing, they made a difference Faith knew, so she applied all her quite meagre skill and rather enormous desire to help to the task.

~~~~~~~


But when they stopped, on that trial, Faith knew immediately that something was wrong. Craning her neck, in order to try and ascertain what was going on, it quickly became very obvious that they were under attack and Faith breathed in through her teeth. Sitting on the back of a wagon with a pregnant lady. Marvellous. Just the place to get attacked, she considered. And it all flew through her head in a moment. What little fighting skill she possessed, she could not show it here. She could not. Because her strength was in surprise, she knew that. But they had to live, too. They had to survive to get through this. And oh, by Famula's blessed light but as she caught sight of what was attacking, those things Faith felt bile rise in her throat as terror gripped her heart.

"Hide. Hide under here and I promise you if we need to stand together and fight before we die I will call you, my Lady. But please, please hide now and protect that babe. I will not leave your side, I promise you" she beseeched Elyna and, if she would do so, Faith would fling the sheet she had used as a canopy over Elyna and some barrels. Because she did not and would not leave her. But as she saw those hideous things, assuming that she and Lady Burhan stayed on the wagon, Faith started to fling things. Barrels, at first, she hoisted and flung as a zombie came too close to them. Then, a plank of wood at the next one. The woman would kneel in the wagon, making herself as small a target and as hard to spot in the first place as possible and then she would throw things.

Once she ran out of things to throw (she would not ever touch those things underneath which Lady Elyna was, if she had done as Faith asked) then the young woman would just do her best to make sure that these things did not get on the wagon. "HERE!!! WE ARE HERE!!!!!" she screamed in response to a shout from she did not know who. Maybe she shouldn't have responded, she considered but then a zombie thing started to climb over the back of the wagon and Faith turned and kicked it squarely in the face. It didn't hurt it, but it's grasp was tenuous and so it sent it flying backwards and the slave started pelting it with, of all things, the apples she had stored for Lady Burhan to eat. "I could really use something sharp!!!" she yelled.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."
Ashan 718: Relief Effort!
Cally's Restaurant & Charity | Isonomia Faction|Luna's Dream (Orphanage)
Beacon Village~Scalvoris Soup Kitchen
User avatar
Faith
Life, Death & The In-Between
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:12 am
Race: Human
Profession: Chef / Professor
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 52
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Guild Master (1) Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Supporter (1) Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Living Legend (1) Ascension (1) Hallowed (1) Pioneer (4)
Hoarder (1) ...ow. (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1) Changed (1)
Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1)

In Saun, Everyone Suffers

Postby Elyna » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Image

Elyna had knelt up, watching the commotion through neat ranks of soldiers. Then it seemed as though the bowels of Idalos had opened up and spit out their foulest creatures. There was something wrong with their attackers. They moved through the ranks too fast and with too much strength. As though they didn’t get tired or weren’t concerned about self-preservation. It made them vicious. Faith pulled at her shoulder and urged her to hide and the woman frowned before finally shaking her head.
"I'm not going to hide, Faith."The slave took action and start flinging things off the wagon and Elyna pushed a frying skillet into Faith’s hands. It would heavy and it could do some damage. She was a Skyrider and although she was pregnant she wasn’t an invalid.
Protecting her middle was her utmost concern, but she also recognised that the best defence at this point could be offensive. Pulling her pack closer she pulled the bag opened, searching for the knife she knew lay near the bottom. Her fingers closed over the cool dark metal before her attention was caught by Marcus though as he made a dogged approach to the wagon towards her. Their eyes met for a brief moment and she stood, anticipating his next action. Then man threw her sword across at her, still in its sheaf before turning his horse. Elyna caught it with a silent prayer to whatever Immortal was listening and slid the dagger into her belt. It was then that the horses, rearing and backing in panic, manage to pull the wagon off the road. The wheel arch snapping as it was pulled over set of large boulders, jolting both she and Faith. Gripping the side the Skyrider managed to keep her feet and the wagon finally dropped. It wasn’t going to be moving far.
Elyna pulled the sword blade form its casing and spun it once, slowly before she walked to the edge of the wagon. The horses screaming in panic, one had managed to pull its tether free and vanish into the words but the second was quickly becoming tangled in the reins. Swearing Elyna faced a moment of indecision before shaking her head. Faith and herself first, horses second. The Skyrider balanced her stance and stood in the centre of the wagon, sword read to defend herself and Faith from any of the attacking party should it venture took close for comfort any longer. She heard someone shouting her name, but it was Faith who answered. Waving for assistance. One of the creatures had appeared at the back of the wagon and wasn’t giving up. Elyna took two steps forward, gripped her sword in both hands and swung it in a sweeping curve that severed head from shoulders and dropped it, inert in the grass. She pulled the dagger from her belt and offered it to the woman, “find your balance” she advised and turned to slam the pommel of her sword into the face of the next attacker.

***


Marcus had been determined to assist the women, but his horse was set upon by dogs and pulled down into the mud. Lurching from its back he rolled awkwardly and struggled to stand on an injured ankle. His gaurds had bene quick to follow him and were closing the distance to form a protective ring. They weren’t faster than an enormous cloaked figure who seemed to appear from the trees themselves. The figure launched at him and the Baron was forced to defend himself. Hacking away with his sword as he backed up, retreating towards the re-forming guards. The dead seemed to litter the grass, they’d taken heavy casualties and the air was filled with the screams of the dead or dying.

As the figure lunged once more, Marcus sidestepped. His sword cut clean through the creature’s wrist and a hand dropped limp to the wet grass. His ankle gave beneath him and he dropped to one knee. The guard had closed their ranks however and the soldiers reformed after the chaos.
User avatar
Elyna
Approved Character
 
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 am
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Official Troublemaker
Renown: +231
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Partner
Letters
Medals: 30
Story of the Month (1) Reviewer's Choice (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1)
Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Ambassador (1) Alpha Testing (1) Beta Bot (1)
One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1) In Your Favor (1) Pioneer (2)
Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1) True Love (1) Married (1) First Kiss (1)
Heartbreaker (1) Starting A Family (1) Murderer (1) Scandalous (1)
Dreamer (1) Puppet Master (1) Legend In Waiting (1) Ymiden 716 (1)
Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Winner Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)
Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

In Saun, Everyone Suffers

Postby Alistair » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Image
A battle raged on. Alistair noted the absolute astonished confusion of the soldiers as they fought the undead - a sword to the gut meant little to nothing to them. Instead they kept the sword lodged within, forcing the soldiers into unarmed combat with a beast that would rip off their face with jagged teeth. The soldiers quickly became overwhelmed by the endurance and fearlessness of their foes, and even though the undead only numbered in the few dozen, Marcus' charge had been ravaged by their assault. Bodies littered the floor. The minions of the Coven practically crawled towards their next foe, grabbing onto men's ankles from the ground as their nightmarish companions leaped onto their backs and chewed into their skulls.

It was pure terror, unleashed. Duncan rode into the terror itself, his horse galloping through the madness as he searched for Faith and Elyna. Alistair sat quietly atop his horse and observed the environment around him. He directed his minions - Alaric and Grayson went after Marcus, who had fallen from his horse and onto the ground. He fell on his knees with likely injured ankles, something Alistair as a renowned doctor could imagine happening from such an impact. But the mage didn't go to help him - instead, he used the chaos to plot out his route of escape. There was nothing but forests all around. It was unlikely that he could wade through them fast enough to arrive in Andaris before Marcus did. The only option was to go forward - but to do so would require a very well-devised scheme.

The easiest route would be to kill Marcus. With the leader dead, little information would leave this place and Alistair could claim ownership of this band. He could transport Faith and Elyna to Andaris safely, without the machinations of the Baron lording over them. So, he sent his minions after Marcus in his injured state. Alaric and Grayson pursued him while Icarus and Andreas massacred his surrounding guard. The battle was fierce, though the undead were winning on all fronts. Marcus was practically sent to his knees, desperate, swords clashing between he and Grayson. Alaric sought entry, though when he struck, Marcus retorted and the undead soldier's severed hand was sent flying to the ground.

Alistair frowned. He would have to follow that by finding a new, fitting hand to add to Alaric, which wasn't quite an easy endeavor. Shortly after the fact, Alistair commanded Icarus and Andreas to retreat to the treeline using his power over the wells. They instead rained arrows on the soldiers, though they got into formation to defend their Lord, Marcus, who had fallen down on one knee. Grayson grabbed Alaric and ran into the trees, a blast of energy defending him as it smashed into the shields of the soldiers. It came from a figure, distant, concealed. It was Gravitation, Alistair recognized. Was that Ellasin, then? He did not imagine she would rush to such a scene. He had to imagine it was another.

Even so, his route was determined. Another blast of kinetic force ripped through the bushes and knocked horses onto their side. It pushed Alistair and his horse back, the creature nearly losing its balance. He saw what this figure was doing - providing him the opportunity he needed.

Blasts of energy tore rifts into wagons and sent men onto the ground. They were being assaulted from afar while the undead ripped through their ranks, especially in the back. The abomination of flesh had killed nearly a dozen soldiers by now, though it had been slashed into and butchered countless times. He could see its movements wearing down as it began to falter onto the floor. However, as the minions ripped through the back of their forces, they then descended onto Alistair directly. A few of Marcus' soldiers rushed foolishly to defend the mounted Lord, only to be slaughtered by the barely sapient skeletons that they had bashed into. One of them quite literally gnawed through a man's neck, while another brutally stabbed into a woman's skull as he pulled her hair from the back.

Alistair was being enclosed upon. The danger was evident. He could no longer be lost in thought - he would need to fight. Defend himself. He drew his sword from its sheath and slashed through the skull of one of the minions as it gnawed on the face of the woman. His expression was as unimaginative as ever, though by now he was surrounded by foes. His continued life was no longer a guaranteed outcome.
User avatar
Alistair
Remember why mages are feared.
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:12 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Doctor
Renown: +390
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Letters
Medals: 39
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Shop Keeper (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Pioneer (1) Hoarder (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (1) Married (1) First Kiss (1) Heartbreaker (1)
Heartbreak (1) Changed (1) Starting A Family (1) Murderer (1)
Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1) Party Animal (1)
Keep it in the Family (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1) Legend In Waiting (1)
Cheater (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

In Saun, Everyone Suffers

Postby Faith » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:59 pm

Image
"Jolly good, oh my. There's a lot of them!" she said as she recognised just how many of the things there were and that they weren't even resembling alive, she almost cheerily (although it was a facade for fear, and not one that was difficult to spot) accepted the skillet and gave a chirpy "Thanks!" as she literally thwacked a zombie in the face with it. "Bloody hell, they're already dead?!" she said and she let out a whimper of terror as there was a sudden bang and the wagon shook. Grabbing at the side, she made sure that Lady Burhan was upright and safe, and she breathed a prayer of relief to Famula that she was.

When Lady Burhan handed her the dagger, Faith took it, but Elyna had undoubtedly been in enough battles to know that the girl (and she looked young and terrified in that moment) was absolutely and completely in the throes of terror. But thankfully, Faith's go-to reaction to fear was to fight and so fight she did.

It passed in a bloody blur and she forgot thoughts of not showing anyone that she could fight, she lost sense of time and place and she just kept fighting. Slashing and hacking with the dagger, kicking them out of the way and just doing her best to keep herself alive. She could hear men and horses screaming and her body was cold, oh so very cold. She thought that she should be shivering, but she wasn't shivering, she was sweating and her arms were aching from where she had to just keep fighting. And considering that she had been an undertaker and she was used to dead bodies, she felt sick in her stomach. They were moving for the love of Famula, they were moving.

It all passed in a blur and Faith stood her ground, terror giving her the energy to do but equally stripping her of a lot of her ability to think; she became instinct and thankfully that instinct was to fight, to protect Lady Burhan and as she watched them surround one of the group, another one who was going to die she thought who was going to scream and she had never wanted to be without a sense so much in her life, because she wasn't sure she was ever going to stop hearing the screams and it was just one more. But then she saw who it was......

"LORD VENORA!!!!" she suddenly screamed at the top of her lungs as she realised that Alistair was getting overwhelmed and wherever his bodyguard was, however he was engaged she yelled again "You have to help him! HELP HIM DAMNIT!!" because she was fighting and protecting Lady Burhan and she was being protected by her, for she was much more used to combat than the young woman here. Faith was fairly sure at this point that she was cut and bleeding and maybe quite a bit, but she had no idea and she thought that she should be able to feel it.

And equally, she hoped that she never felt anything again. Because once she did she thought she might just join in the screaming of the men and the horses and she might never stop.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."
Ashan 718: Relief Effort!
Cally's Restaurant & Charity | Isonomia Faction|Luna's Dream (Orphanage)
Beacon Village~Scalvoris Soup Kitchen
User avatar
Faith
Life, Death & The In-Between
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:12 am
Race: Human
Profession: Chef / Professor
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 52
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Guild Master (1) Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Supporter (1) Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Living Legend (1) Ascension (1) Hallowed (1) Pioneer (4)
Hoarder (1) ...ow. (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1) Changed (1)
Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1)

In Saun, Everyone Suffers

Postby Duncan Oisin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:08 am

Image
Duncan allowed himself a moment to pause, reassured to see the two women fighting back with ferocity. In that moment a thought occurred to him; if they were to flee, they'd need at least one more horse. If it was necessary, the four could make do with just two, but if they were to get back to Alistair, Duncan would need to give up his horse for Elyna and Faith to use, and the last thing he wanted to do was make his way back on foot

The mercenary wanted nothing more than to get the hell out of dodge, to flee with their little group and get well out of the way of armies and wars, preferably go back to pretty and peaceful Venora with Alistair. It wouldn't be the case for a long while though, and Duncan knew that their task was an important one, that would likely impact Rynmere as a whole.

A short distance away, a horse was struggling against it's tangled reins, head thrashing desperately as it attempted to free itself, the reins tangled with the broken body that had been its master. Kicking Tac into action he made his way over, leaning over in the saddle to snatch hold of the tangled reins. Drawing his gladius, Duncan sliced through the leather, wasting no time with detangling them from the previous owners corpse. He tugged the reins, and though the horse was clearly still frightened, the proximity to another horse and a human to direct it seemed to calm it, and it fell into a quick trot alongside Duncan and Tac. He pulled the two horses around and galloped back to the wagon, eye's going immediately to Elyna and Faith.

The two women were fighting tooth and nail, rotting appendages scattered around the wagon, a disembodied arm hanging half in, fingers still twitching as the body it'd come from scrambled to its feet. Tac and the second horse trampled right over the fallen monster as they pulled close to the wagon, stomping their hooves into it with satisfied snorts. "Here, a horse!" Duncan called over the din, holding out the reins desperately, head already twisting to look over his shoulder for where Alistair had gotten to. He could hear some sort of blast or explosion taking place amongst what was quickly turning into a battlefield, but Duncan was far more concerned by the whereabouts and safety of his companion.

"Hurry, we need to go!" He shouted to Elyna and Faith, heart racking up to see that the nobleman was now surrounded, sword drawn. As soon as he was freed of the reins, Duncan dug his knees into Tacs ribs, jabbing the horse's sides with his heels and snapping the reins. A snort of anger was drawn from the horse, but he did as he was bid, falling into a quick gallop as he raced back up the line to where they had started out. By now the majority of the monsters had targets to focus on, letting Tac gallop past as they focused on the foot soldiers and servants.

"Ali!" He called, drawing his gladius and leaning heavily to one side of his saddle, non-dominant hand clutching at the horn, reins wrapped around his fist. As he galloped up to the lord he slashed his gladius down along the backs of the monsters, keeping the reins tight so that his horse wouldn't stray from his path. Tac knocked a few aside, again stomping his hooves down on the beasts below them, while Duncan swung the sword again, not caring whether his blade struck soldier or monster.
Image

"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night,
and when you move fall like a thunderbolt"

5/3
User avatar
Duncan Oisin
everyone sucks™
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 4:26 am
Location: Ne'haer here nor there
Race: Human
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: +14
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 11
Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1) One Arc Later... (1) First Love (1)
Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1) Right In The Feels (1) Heartbreak (1) Changed (1)
Lol Worthy (2) Holiday Event 2016 (1)

[Venora] In Saun, Everyone Suffers

Postby Elyna » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Image

Faith screamed and drew Elyna’s attention to the Venora. She watched, feeling powerless to help him. There was simply no way they could cross to him in time and to try would be to forfeit a defensible position. The young woman reached and gripped Faith by collarbone holding her firm. Reluctant to let the girl dash to a heroic but ugly death in the pursuit of self-sacrifice. Fortunate for them both Duncan, who she recognised as Alistair’s assistant arrived and saw their predicament. He too followed his apparent ordered and wheeled, returning moments later with a second horse. Riding an unknown, frightened animal in the midst of battle was not the top of Elyna’ favourite ideas as an expectant mother. It seemed however, that she and Faith had little choice.
The Skyrider made a lunge for animals halter and pulled it close. Swinging her sword to fend off the attackers she urged for Faith to climb onto the animals back. Using her free hand to help the younger woman bundle onto it, but without much grace. It was then that Elyna swung up, reached around the younger woman and kicked the horse into motion behind Duncan. She had no idea who much experience Faith had with riding, but she wasn’t willing to bet both their lives on finding out. They stampeded after Duncan as he made his desperate foray to return towards Alistair.
It was a surge of the undead that split them in the end, combined with the blasts of power that Elyna could only describe as magical. The horse she and Faith rode had pulled up short and threatened to rear if they forced it any longer. The mass of attackers swarmed between the women and Alistair and Duncan. Before they could get trapped, Elyna pulled the horse sharp to the side, wrapping her free hand around Faith’s middle to try and steady the slender person and hopefully prevent her falling off. It was then that the Skyrider surprised herself, “Duncan! Get Alistair out of here!” If you can, she finished under her breathe, with no idea if they could hear her or not.
Then she nudged the horse into another run, charging down the final attackers that had surrounded Marucs. Maybe he deserved an ugly death, but he was still Malcolm’s son.
User avatar
Elyna
Approved Character
 
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 am
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Official Troublemaker
Renown: +231
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Partner
Letters
Medals: 30
Story of the Month (1) Reviewer's Choice (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1)
Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Ambassador (1) Alpha Testing (1) Beta Bot (1)
One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1) In Your Favor (1) Pioneer (2)
Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1) True Love (1) Married (1) First Kiss (1)
Heartbreaker (1) Starting A Family (1) Murderer (1) Scandalous (1)
Dreamer (1) Puppet Master (1) Legend In Waiting (1) Ymiden 716 (1)
Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Winner Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)
Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Next

Return to Duchies