• Memory • No Good Deed Goes Unpunished (Celeste)

When doing the right thing is hard

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Torqin
Race: Lotharro
Profession: Bodyguard
Renown: 10
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished (Celeste)

Vhalar 26, 706 - Age 15

Torqin awoke before sunrise, as he did every day now for as long as he could remember. Crawling out of bed, the Lotharro boy settled into his usual routine. He crept from his bed, stood up at his full height, growing like a reed these days. He was already as tall as his father, and it seemed as if there was still more to go. The boy stretched, enjoying the cracking in his joints, groaning in satisfaction. He was always a morning person, and immediately settled into bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet, getting ready for his chores. Stepping out of his room, he saw his dad's door was closed. He must've gone out early. Likely to travel to another city and pick out some new steeds to bring back. When Torqin was too young to handle the animals on his own, he'd go with his father on the travels, but now he did his father's job instead.

Torq ate a quick breakfast of cornbread, fried fish, and pear cider. Then he moved out into the yard, enjoying the crisp foggy air. They kept their yard minimalistic, though gardeners and the like might call it barren. The grass was long since eaten and trampled away, leaving dirt. They had a few small trees and shrubbery, to maintain some semblance of privacy. No one enjoyed a nosy neighbor. Or at least this pair of Lotharro didn't. Clad in just a pair of cotton breeches, he felt the cool dirt between his toes.

He walked up to the ash tree at the corner of the yard, and began the morning work out routine. He jumped up, grabbing the lower branch, one he used to not be able to reach until recent arcs. He swapped one of his hands around so that the palm faced him. Then from completely extended arms, he slowly lifted himself up, beginning the first of his dead hang, neutral gripped pull ups. He made sure to keep his ankles crossed, his core taut, and use only his arms, shoulders, and back to pull himself up, using no momentum from swinging. Slow, arduous work, as he raised himself up and down, intentionally lowering himself as slowly as he raised up. Over and over he lifted and dropped, his arms and back bulging, and now glistening in sweat.

Once he finished, he dropped down, and finished the rest of his work out routine. He then walked down to the shore, picking a secluded spot, which wasn't so hard this early in the morning, just as the sun was rising. He bathed quickly, enjoying the slight chill that was beginning to come with the wintry waters. Once dried, he dressed once more, returned home, pulled on the rest of his clothes, laced up his boots, and grabbed his father's pack of tools. He stuck in a lunch, same stuff as breakfast, wrapped in paper, and left the house.

He made his way through town, nodding and smiling at each person he passed, but not stopping to speak to them. This day was like many others, a nice, comfortable routine. And just like any day, the local baker's daughter was tossing dishwater into the gutters in the streets, and as usual her gaze lingered on the teenage boy. He returned a confident smile, and a slightly more personable nod. And just as usual the night fisherman were hauling past, wagons laden with their catch. Everything was nice and normal. The guards at the Aestedia Barony waved him through, no need to stop or search the boy, he'd been coming here since he was knee high to many of them. It was hard to believe he'd grown taller than the lot of them.

Torqin made his way to the stables, stopping before it to stare at it, always impressed by it. They weren't the largest stables in the kingdom, nor the most elegant. But the way their white stone was crafted was efficient, with incredibly focus on longevity, and showing the skill of the sculptor. It was sturdy, strong, clean. And one day, he'd be running them for the Andaris family. He walked in the back entrance, dropping his gear off in his stone locker space, and stepped out into the main thoroughfare. As usually Toddy was there, the newest stable boy. Torqin wasn't sure how he'd gotten the job, but he sure was eager to please. He was always the first one to arrive, and last one to leave, despite being a mere eight arcs. He was busy sweeping the floor, despite it still being nearly pristine from the sweeping he'd given it the night before.

Torq walked up to the boy and rustled his hair, and walked over to the first stall. Before he started any of his chores, he always greeted each steed by name. A pat on the nose, a scratch behind the ears for most. Some of the more irritable ones got a look and a nod, but Torqin figured they'd come around too. He just needed to get to know them better. Once he'd done all of that, he went and raised the dam-lock on the water troughs, and the water poured through, giving all the beasts a crisp drink.

He went and checked the day's list to see who would be getting trained today. Starlet, Corvick, Butter, and Helga. Nodding, he grabbed a bag of grains, and began to pour them into the feed troughs for those four. This would give them more than enough energy for their training. Once that was done, he fetched the first bale of alfalfa hay, carrying the bundle against his chest, as he walked back into the stables, wondering how long until the first owners started showing up, as well as the other workers, such as the horse specific trainers. Some of the Andaris preferred to have a single trainer for their horse. Whatever made them happy, Torqin supposed. Not his place to judge.
word count: 1022
Celeste Andaris
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Vixen
Renown: 138
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Aged: 10
Peake, Quincey and Leeson were all being unkind to her and Celeste Andaris was sulking. Not that they knew that - she'd laughed along with their unkind jokes, teased them back. But she'd get them. Each one of them and at some point soon. But still, she had grown tired of their teasing long before they had and so the youngest Andaris had made her way into her room, where she planned on spending some time playing with the new doll that she had. She'd asked for it because it was so pretty, blonde and beautiful with bright blue eyes. Not like her, with her brown hair and dark dark brown eyes. Father and Peake told her that she was the most beautiful girl in all the world, but she didn't quite like it when they did and she knew that they said it because Celeste looked so very much like her mother.

Her poor mother who had been dead two arcs now, nearer to three. Celeste missed her, every trial. But at the same time, although she never told anyone, she had been a little afraid of the woman by the end. She didn't look like Mama any more, she was so thin and in such a lot of pain. Her skin had looked so frail that Celeste had worried it might all flake off or just crumble there in front of her.

Sometimes, she still dreamed that had been what happened.

It hadn't been, of course, but the traumatised younger Andaris knew better than to speak about it. She didn't ever speak about it and she was Naughty for thinking about it. It had a capital letter in her young mind, that word. It was different, the way Father said it. Sometimes she misbehaved, but other times she was Naughty and she knew the difference. She just couldn't work out what it was until after she'd done it.

Still, she sat on her bed and she picked up the doll, smiling down at the blue glass eyes. "Hello," she said, quiet voice but happy. "I'm going to brush your hair until it shines. My Mama used to do that to me. Brush, brush, brush. I'll be a good Mama to you, I promise."

She liked it when she was here, alone with her dolls. None of them looked like her, or her mother. None of them asked anything of her, demanded anything. None of them. They didn't give her perfume to wear which made her smell like Mama used to, or get her to wear her hair in ways that Mama had. No, they just liked her for her and they made no demands.

"My lady," there was a knock on the door and one of the maids was there. Anna, Celeste thought her name was, but she didn't know for sure. "Your father sent me. He said that you are to get ready to go riding, he thinks you will have forgotten." Celeste frowned and considered it. She must have forgotten, she thought, although she didn't remember anyone saying anything to her and she loved riding so that was unusual. Standing, she moved to her wardrobe and then looked at the servant, who moved and helped her. Celeste took her time getting dressed, then she made her way downstairs and out, to the stables.

Dressed in proper riding gear, the youngest Andaris child was the first to arrive. That was odd, she thought, but there it was. And come to that, why hadn't her brothers mentioned riding? "Is my father here?" Celeste asked the nearest person. The slave boy, a Lotharro, he was there and so she asked him and he might notice that the young girl looked a little nervous, uncertain. But then, he was easily twice as tall as her, so it might well be that.
word count: 657
Torqin
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Torqin saw the young Andaris lass arrive at the stables before she saw him. Odd, she was in her riding gear. Her steed wasn't on the training list for today. Not that it mattered much, her family owned the place, they could come and go as they pleased. It just meant good old Sparkle wasn't quite ready yet. He'd need the high energy feed he'd passed out earlier.

He watched as the girl, a mere ten arcs old, came up to him. She looked a bit nervous, shy. She asked about her father. Turning to fully face the girl, Torqin smiled the broad Lotharro smile, he bowed at the waist to her, a sign of respect to her and her family. "My Lady Celeste, I was not expecting to be graced with your loveliness today, but it is a most delightful surprise. Unfortunately your father has not yet arrived, nor have any of your brothers."

As a commoner, he felt he was giving the proper respect as his father taught him. Though most nobles may think he was laying it on a little thick. Torqin squat down to Celeste's height, still smiling at her, "My lady, I was just about to go get Sparkle ready. Would you like to join me? We can wait for your father together.

He could hear his father's words in the back of his mind. To always treat Andaris noble children as adults, to show them the utmost respect and to always care for their safety first and foremost. If a noble child gets hurt and you're around, odds are its your head that will roll. There are none more important than the royal children.

Torqin rose back up to his full height. Had it been another child he might've offered his hand for them, but this was not any other child. He waited on her to go first, for he knew she knew where Sparkle's stall was. It was the middle most stall on the left hand side, and was the biggest stall. A princess's horse must have the most lavish of conditions of course.

Sparkle was a brilliantly white horse, a Warrick Whinny. Torqin remembered being with his father visiting the Warricks to purchase the creature for the Andaris. He was a purebred Whinny, with documentation to prove it, all the way back to the start of the Warricks' breeding program. And thankfully, Sparkle was a very calm stallion. Torqin's father, as well as Celeste's riding instructor, had raised the creature, trained him will. He was a very sociable creature and would approach anyone that walked up to its stall. And he knew that he belonged with Celeste. He always greeted her with a snort and a rub against her cheek.

Torqin stood near the stall, but away from it, to let Celeste approach him first. "My lady, before you two can begin your training, I must feed him his alfalfa hay. It gives Sparkle the extra energy he needs. Would you like to help feed him? He loves it when you do." Torqin looked down the hall, and saw Toddy staring at him blankly. Waiting to make sure Celeste wasn't watching him, Torqin pointed at Toddy, then to the feed storage, then to the other stalls. The eager boy quickly set to work, glad to be doing more than sweeping.

Torqin walked over to the alfalfa hay bale he'd brought in, and carried it over to Sparkle's stall, setting it down next to it. He grabbed a handful of the hay and offered it to Celeste, with a slight bow of the head and waist. "My lady?"
Last edited by Torqin on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 620
Celeste Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

He was nice to her, this stable boy. Celeste thought he was a slave because he wasn't human and everyone in Andaris who wasn't human got enslaved. Leeson had told her that and he'd done it with a very serious face so she believed him. But then, he was a dreadful tease, sometimes. Yet, even at 10, Celeste Andaris knew better than to ask someone if they were a slave, or not. "I don't think my brothers are coming," she said in a very quiet voice. Her father had said that she'd forgotten, but she didn't think she had. Maybe Father had got it wrong, but she would not, could not ever admit that to the stable boy. He was the Baron Andaris and she must remember that. "I believe it will just be me.. me and father." Father hadn't said anything to her, she was sure. So, the youngest Andaris lifted her chin and smiled, like a Lady should.

"Yes, I'd like that. How are you to-trial? Are the horses behaving themselves?" It was good to know the staff, she knew, and it was even better to make sure that she knew the staff more personally than just in passing. Showing an interest in this servant (or was he a slave? She couldn't see a collar on his neck, and slaves wore those like the dogs) was a Good Thing. So, she went with him with a nod. "Is Sparkle a well behaved horse?" Celeste asked, genuinely interested in that.

He let her go first and didn't offer her his hand, which was good as far as Celeste was concerned. She was the youngest and she was small and they worried about her because she was the only girl, but she was very sure that she was Not A Baby and didn't need any hand-holding, thank you very much. So, she went in, trying her best to walk like a grown up and not scamper forward to Sparkle. She loved her horse, and she had insisted that Sparkle had the very best stall; the middle one on the left. It was the biggest but that wasn't why she liked it so much. Because of where Sparkle was, he wasn't able to be picked on by any of the other horses. He was right in the middle, no one could ignore him. All of the horses in the right hand stalls had to look at him and the horses in the left hand stalls? Well, he was in the best stall on the left so she thought they all knew that he was the Most Important Horse.

As they got there, Sparkle did what he always did, he said hello in Horse and he rubbed against her cheek. She did what she always did and put her small hand on his cheek. "Hello Sparkle. How are you to-trial?" To Torqin, she nodded her head. "Yes please, I would like that. I think Sparkle would too." And when he offered her some feed, Celeste smiled at the stable boy. "Thank you, that's very....."

Whatever it was, she did not say it for her gaze was drawn to the figure who was making his way into the stables. Her father. The smell of alcohol was rife on him and Celeste felt herself tense. She was trapped here. Her grandfather wasn't here, he wasn't arriving until the morning and Celeste knew that her grandfather was safe. Her brothers? They were afraid of her father, except Peake and she didn't really know what he was. Except dangerous. She had to love her brothers, she did love them, but in that moment the little Andaris felt very alone.

"CELESTE!" Baron Benji Andaris yelled and he saw her, there. She could not help that she had taken a step behind Torqin. "Come here, girl! Now!"

She let out a slight whimper, but then whispered to Torqin, "I.. I'm sorry. I don't think.. think I'm allowed to ride Sparkle to-trial." Her father evidently did not appreciate the delay, or her speaking to the stable boy and he lurched forward, grabbing at the young girl.
word count: 713
Torqin
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Torqin could see the sadness in the young girl. He didn't know what it was like to be the forgotten or ignored child personally, but he knew it happened. He wasn't surprised to see it happened among nobles, since it happened among commoners. After all, at the end of the day, nobles are people too. He smiled as she asked him how he was totrial, like a proper lady. "I'm quite well today, my lady. The sun is out, the air is clean, and I get to be here at your lovely stables. Even better now with pleasant company. And yes, all the horses are getting along famously. We have a few new young colts that are being a bit stubborn, but that's expected of them. They will get along well soon."

Looking at Sparkle now, "Oh yes, Sparkle never provides us any trouble. He's very sociable and polite about it. Some of your other horses here are sometimes a bit pushy with their need for attention. But Sparkle here is a prim and proper lord. And he knows how to have fun as well. I do believe he is making friends with a duck that has been coming around lately."

As she moved to take the alfalfa hay from his hand, he could see the dramatic and sudden change in the young girl's demeanor. Torqin followed her eyes, and saw the reason for her growing terror. Baron Benji Andaris was marching, no, was storming, his way over to her. Torqin could smell the stench of drink from him from an unreasonable distance. Everything about his body suggested aggression. His eyes were fixated on the girl, and Torqin was fairly certain the Baron didn't even realize the Lotharro was in the same building as him.

When the man yelled, Torqin watched as the girl feigned a shut down by being polite. A proper lady even in the face of fear. It was brave respectable. Torqin watched as the Baron grabbed the girl around the wrist with wide eyes. He watched as she was jerked toward the baron violently, in a way that Torqin knew would be quite painful to Lady Celeste's shoulder.

Torqin gritted his teeth. It was hard to watch. If anyone else had dared to do that to the young Lady, Torqin would've already been intervening bodily. But this was the Baron. This was his realm, his barony, his people, his daughter. Torqin's fingers dug heavily into his palm, a tight first, driving his knuckles white. The Baron lifted Celeste off the ground by her wrist, so that her face was at his height. Torqin watched as he brought his face uncomfortably close to the girl's, staring her in the eyes like a hungry beast.

Torqin didn't see what caused it, if anything did, but the Baron open hand slapped Celeste across the face. Then he dropped her to the floor, turning away from Torqin as he towered over the young Lady. In a swift motion, the king pulled his rope belt from his trousers, and folded the thick cord in two. Words were said but Torqin didn't hear any of it, not from this distance. But he could see the girl's face.

But the moment Torqin saw that arm raising up, to strike down at the girl with that heavy rope, the teenaged Lotharro was already moving forward. Thinking was out the window, instinct was all that encompassed the stable boy. His hand shot out, grabbing onto the rope before it could be swung down. He jerked backwards on the rope, wrenching the Baron's arm, causing him to howl. But more importantly, it pulled him away from Celeste, even if only two steps.

The baron turned around in surprise, having not been assaulted in so long, that he couldn't even seem to fathom that such a thing could occur. And as soon as he did, he was met with a powerful shove to the chest. The Lotharro boy was big, tall, strong from his work, and working on adrenaline. The Baron was tossed backwards over his feet into an empty stall. He landed hard on his ass with a pained howl, and Torqin found that he alone held the corded rope the Baron had planned to beat the young Celeste with.

He stepped forward, his face hard and determined, looking down at this worthless man that dared call himself Baron of their land. If he treated his own daughter like an animal, he was not fit to rule. And so, the rope was swung down at the leader, striking his arms that were held up defensively. Over and over Torqin whipped at the Baron.

Once the immediate thrill of the fight wore off, Torqin realized the mistake he'd made. He looked around the stable and was thankful Toddy wasn't there. No one was. He threw the rope down atop the Baron, stepped out of the stall. Then he shut both halves of the stall door, and slammed down the bars, and locked the padlocked that hung from them. That would buy them some time.

He turned to face the young Lady, "My Lady, we must go. Get you to somewhere safe. Can you walk?"
He offered his hand to help her up. He tried his best to put on a brave face for her. Because he knew that his life was now forfeited. The moment the Baron was freed of his temporary prison, he'd be hunted down and killed. And now the Baron was yelling for help. It wouldn't be long until such help arrived. He was sure of it, by midnight, he'd be dead. But he could at least get Celeste as far away from her father for the moment as possible. For the second thing the Baron would do after ordering his death, would likely be to beat Celeste even worse than he'd had planned to do before.
word count: 1005
Celeste Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Sparkle was making friends with a duck? Celeste looked at him and tilted her head to the side. "Are you being serious? My brothers tease me and sometimes I don't know the difference." Not until they were laughing at her, anyhow. "I think it would be nice if Sparkle had a friend, but I'm not sure that horses and ducks get on. Do you speak Duck, Sparkle? You are a very clever horse..." She adored that horse, there was no doubting it.

It was all so nice and then father came and he spoiled it. It was so embarrassing, he shouted at her in front of the stable boy and Sparkle. Celeste supposed she should be glad that the duck wasn't here too, but still. Then, she remembered what her grandfather taught her. A lady is always polite, even in the face of things and people which upset her, so she whispered her apology to the stable boy, but that seemed to make father more angry and she bit her lip to stop herself from crying out as he grabbed her by the arm and pulled.

Celeste's shoulder lit in pain and she could not hold back the cry of pain which escaped her as she felt muscles and tendons being subjected to behaviour which they should not be. The pain continued, though, as he lifted her off her feet by her wrist and her arm and shoulder all screamed in protest at this treatment. He pulled her close to his face and she could smell the brandy on his breath. Looking at him she tried not to cry, he hated it when women cried she knew, and yet tears fell down her cheeks. "I'm sorry," she whispered, trying to make it better, but she knew that he was angry and she had done something very, very wrong.

The blow to her face caused her to see stars and she lay on the floor with her head spinning. Her father spoke to her then, "I'll teach you. You will learn to mind me and do as I instruct." He was going to use the belt, she knew and Celeste was stuck, unable to move as fear gripped her. He raised his hand, ready to strike and she closed her eyes. But the blow never came and instead she heard her father howling in pain. Something was wrong and the young girl did the only thing she could. She closed her eyes tightly and curled into herself, into as tight a ball as she could make herself. If she could hide, hide here then maybe they would all leave her alone.

And then, the stable boy spoke to her and Celeste's eyes shot open. She sat up and looked around and her eyes widened as she realised what had happened. Or at least, some of it. Her face was bright red, her lip bleeding and she turned her gaze around. "We have to run. My... my grandfather is coming tomorrow. Come on." She had to help him, because if they caught him, they were going to kill him. "We should take a horse?" Celeste asked and she took hold of his hand and pulled herself up. Then, because she was ten and terrified, in pain all down one side and tasting blood in her mouth, she suddenly hugged the man who had saved her. "I won't let them hurt you. We have to go!"

word count: 583
Torqin
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Torqin watched as Celeste's eyes opened. He could see as she took in the situation and immediately understood what had happened, as well as the consequences it would lead to. And as a proper lady of noble birth, she was already a leader. She was taking charge, commanding him, for his own benefit. She even had a plan, it seemed. He gathered that her grandfather would help, or at least she seemed to think he would. And Torqin didn't have a lot of options, so he needed to trust her judgment.

He heard her ask about a horse, and he knew it was a good idea. This young girl, the youngest of the Andaris line, was already ten, no a hundred, times the leader her father was. And while his protection of her was most unexpected, never in a million arcs would he expect to have a noble hugging him. He didn't know how to act, none his lessons in etiquette had prepared him for this. So he just did what felt right. A large hand placed between Lady Celeste's shoulder blades, he briefly returned the hug, likely the last he'd ever experience in his life cut short.

And the moment passed, "Come my lady, I know just the horse." He didn't dare to take any of the noble's precious personal mounts, and certainly not Sparkle. When they would be found, he wouldn't doubt if in a fit of rage, the Baron would order the horse killed as well. And he knew Toddy would've gotten her ready for her training. Helga, one of the newest mares, acquired in a trade from the Warricks, was a fast and strong horse. But most important was her desire to flee and go home. She'd tried, and successfully, escaped a handful of times, and made her way toward the Warrick lands.

Torqin led Lady Celeste to the last stall by the doors, and approached the red-brown mare. He touched her against the neck, and she was a bit antsy, probably could detect their fear and anxiety. Torqin cooed and talked to her as calmly as possible. Toddy had already gotten her saddle and tackle ready. Torqin grabbed her lead ropes, and guided her out into the aisle. He provided an extra hand or two for Lady Celeste to get up into the saddle, before he followed suit, sitting behind her.

He tapped at her sides with his heels, and Helga started forward at a brisk walk. Torqin casually looked around as they traveled. It didn't seem that the alarm was yet raised. They had some time it seemed before workers found the Baron and discovered what had happened. Torqin led the horse to the back gate, at the northwest end of the paddock. It was used for the trainers to take the horses out into the woods, as well as the nobles to go on pleasure rides. A pair of guards stood there, idly chatting.

Thinking from his gut, he whispered down to Celeste, without leaning down so that they didn't appear suspicious. "My lady, you'll need to get us through the gate." He saw that the guards had basket nearby, likely lunch from one of their spouses. They both were armored, with swords at their waist, and cloaks draped over the fence. Once they were past the guards, and into the tree line, they could move more quickly. As they approached, he gave no greeting or signal, as he was with a noble, as a commoner. That meant Lady Celeste was in charge. He was just there as her help.
word count: 611
Celeste Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Celeste nodded when he said that he knew just the horse. She did not look back at where her father was, there was no need to. She knew he was there and she knew what would happen to both of them, should he get out before they were gone. But equally, Celeste knew that all she had to do was to keep herself and the stable boy safe until her grandfather arrived. Later, she would consider that, even then, the stable boy would not be safe for Grandfather was clear ~ protect the family name first. Always. But right in the moment, she didn't think of that and, even if she had, it would not change her mind.

He helped her up on to the horse and Celeste looked at the stable boy with a fake calmness in her eyes. She had to be calm, because she wanted to run into the house and tell her brothers. But they wouldn't be able to stop father, nothing could when he was like this. It was when he was like this that he and Peake fought and fought and Peake said that Father had killed mother, had broken her heart.

As Torqin got up behind her, Celeste took her scarf and wrapped it around her face. The bruise on her cheek she could do nothing about, but she had to hide the blood on her lip, or if a guard caught sight of them they would be done for. So, she wrapped her scarf and looked at Torq and then nodded. He steered the horse, who seemed to be as unnerved as the young girl was, but once they got outside there was no doubting it, there was not trouble yet. So, they made their way in the way that she did whenever she was going out on Sparkle. "I hope Sparkle isn't too sad," she said, and then looked forward. Guards, of course, at the gate. Thank the seven that she had thought of the scarf, she thought.

"The trick is," she said back to Torqin when he said that she would have to get them past, "to always know that I am in charge. Even when I am afraid. I'll try." They came close enough then and Celeste wondered what she was supposed to do. Then, she realised. She should do exactly what she always should. "Good trial, both," she called and motioned to the basked. "Enjoy your food!" The guards nodded and waved and Celeste simply looked forwards and continued to ride in a forward movement. Whilst she was still in earshot of them, just in case they were listening and wondering, Celeste spoke to Torqin, "You're right. This is very different than riding Sparkle. I would not want to get used to only one horse."

And soon, they were through the treeline. Celeste breathed out and pulled her scarf down. "We need to go faster, if we can. But once we're a little way, I think we should get off the horse and set him to run. Because that will throw them off if they track. And we should keep this on the horse, too." she said, about the scarf. "In case they use the dogs."

Her frown was deep and the fear on her face was evident.
word count: 557
Torqin
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Torqin smiled at her concern for her horse. This little girl had more caring and compassion than most adults. And with a far more level head. She took charge of the leadership position that he thrust her into, that she chose to get into, that she was put into by her father. And she did it for him, and for herself. This little girl, fourth in line for the throne, was potentially putting everything on the line, for him. And he would spend the rest of his life doing the same for her, even if his life only lasted another break. As far as he was concerned, she wasn't just the youngest child in a royal line. She was already the queen, more noble, a better leader, a more compassionate person than any he'd met. And if he survived this, he'd ensure she'd live to see herself be the ruler this country deserved.

She was pleasant to the guards. And the two smiled and waved at the little girl, just as they always did. They did find it unusual that she was with the stable boy instead of her trainer, but they chocked it up to a substitution. Maybe the trainer was sick. The guards resumed their post, and watched as the pair slipped into the trees. That was when Torqin tapped his heels against the horse's ribs and spurred her on. Not too fast, just into a bit of a job, putting more distance between them and the stables.

Then the horn sounded. Two booms echoed over the land. Two blasts of the guard horn meant forces were to come to the position of the duke. That meant that he'd been attacked. And for Celeste and Torqin, that meant he'd been found. Torqin tapped Helga's ribs again, and put her in a run. It wouldn't be long until the duke's guard figured out what happened. If the pair were lucky, the duke would take out his rage on the guards for a bit before talking about what happened.

Torqin steered with his knees, guiding the horse around the trees, though he suspected she was doing most of the driving. There was a shallow, wide creek coming up ahead. That was good for them, in Torqin's mind. Helga made her way into the waters, and Torqin drove her up stream, splashing in the knee high water. He drove her further and further up river. Once the water started to get deeper, he pulled her over to the bank, "Whoa girl. Easy."

Helga stopped near the bank, a high one, right at their seat level. "Milady, we should get off here, and send her downstream. Should buy us some time." He held a hand out, to help her up onto the bank, before following suit. He still held the reins, "Your scarf, my lady? I'll tie it to the reins."

Once the pair were settled, and Helga was ready to be sent on her way, Torqin slapped her on the flank, "Hyah!" And Helga ran off down stream, following the current, at full sprint. Torqin turned to his charge, "Ready to go?"
He looked to the sky, sun wasn't high yet. It was still morning. Celeste had mentioned her grandfather coming tomorrow. That was a long way away.

"I suggest upstream my lady. Maybe criss cross it a few times, in case those dogs are brou--."

Three booms from a horn rang out over the area, from a good distance away. That meant pursuit. The chase was on. "I'll keep you safe my lady, I promise. With my life, I'll see you to your grandfather." He then started moving up along the bank, a bit eager to make haste.
word count: 633
Celeste Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

It was all happening so fast and Celeste was terrified. Terrified of her father or what he would do when he got hold of her. This would be a bad thing, she knew, and she would be in a Lot Of Trouble for it, but the stable boy had stopped her father from hitting her with his belt. It wasn't even being hit that she minded too much, she'd been hit by him before and he always said it was for her own good and made her better. Better as a person. But no, it was the look in his eye. Celeste was a ten arc old girl and she didn't understand, didn't understand what that look meant from her father, or, more and more, from her oldest brother, Peake. But she knew that she didn't like it. She kept quiet as he got them out of there, trying not to cry with relief and fear and everything else she was feeling. When the horn sounded, she cringed, but she knew that she had to be strong now, because this stable boy had helped her and she owed it to him to keep him safe.

He took them down a wide river and Celeste held on and tried to think, think about what to do. She just had to keep him safe until grandfather got there. Grandfather was safety, sanity. He was austere, distant and did not like too many emotions, but he was safe. The stable boy stopped the horse, then, and explained what he was going to do. Celeste nodded, her eyes wide and showing the unshed tears, but she moved and took off the scarf. Her lip was swollen and blood stained it and her cheek was already turning a vivid purple. Her father had strong arms and he had not held back his blows on her. "I'm so sorry," she said, softly. "You didn't need to do that, and you've put yourself in dreadful danger. I don't even know your name."

Once she knew it, she smiled, ignoring the sharp feeling in her lower lip when she did so. "Torqin. Thank you so much, Torqin. I'm so sorry you're in danger now, but I won't let them hurt you." She was ready to go, though, she said, that was fine. She could keep up, he shouldn't worry. Then, though, the horn sounded and she looked at him with the fear of a ten arc old girl. "We'll keep each other safe." She put her small hand into his and nodded her encouragement. They had to move and quickly.

Up and criss-cross across the water, she went wherever he thought was best. Celeste didn't stop, didn't grumble, didn't say she couldn't. If there was something that she was unsure of, then she nodded and said simply "I'll try my best," and then did just that. The morning wore on and they traipsed through woods, sometimes having to clamber through areas where the brambles and branches left them both covered with small cuts. She was hungry and thirsty, worried and scared, and if it was possible she didn't let go of his hand.

The sun was over and past the mid-point in the sky and was starting its descent into the opposite horizon. They seemed to have left the pursuit behind them, Celeste thought, but she looked at him and asked, very seriously. "Torqin? Are we lost?"
word count: 593
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”