Turning the tables

Yana

60th of Vhalar 716

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Elyna
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Official Troublemaker
Renown: 231
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Turning the tables

It was probably best to move away from the dilemma of science versus childcare. The skyrider was growing convinced that there was going to be no science to it, only hearsay. Sinking back in the chair, Elyna focused on the words. Her initial reaction was one of frustration. The suggestion that her noble name was the reason for her promotion was an irritant. Hadn’t she worked for the best part of a decade within the Iron Hand? Hadn’t she devoted all the spare time of her youth to training and learning her craft? Her promotion had taken sweat and blood and toil and…she caught hold of her thoughts and tempered them. Mouth pressed into a thin line, the woman bowed her head and continued to listen.

What the woman expressed, was an alternative point of view and one that Elyna couldn’t say she had previously considered. What would of happened if it had been Faith who dealt the blow? A slave without station…a loose end? A shiver caused the woman to jolt. With her head bowed she could truly focus on the words and think. She found it easier to concentrate without the bright colours in the room, the gentle sway of billiards rolling on the table or the reflection of light in the glass. The thought of being made untouchable in the eyes of the populace was enough to make her move with discomfort. Her hand pressed to her belly and the shifting child within. A shy person, she detested the thought of being the topic of rumour and casual conversation. She was a skyrider, she loved her work and she could only hope that once the baby was born, she could return to it and meld back into obscurity. Slightly unkempt, dusty, unremarkable obscurity. The skyriders that she’d worked with, that knew her well were likely to be surprised when reminded of her noble heritage, or so she’d thought.

She smoothed her fingers over the soft fabric of her dress and looked up. The woman had given a careful and considered answer and Elyna offered a smile in response. “As you say, your judgment must be made on speculation. I like to argue, to believe at least that a promotion was given after nine arcs of service. I’d be lying however if I said my time with the Iron Hand had been in any way extraordinary or exemplary until this point,” she lifted a shoulder in a shrug. It was then that she drew a breath, holding the air in her lungs, “another solider, an unknown man was also granted an audience for his deed. He could have been…dealt with as you say, tied up. I think most would have already assumed he was dead after he crashed with a Volareon atop that beast,” her brows drew in a frown. She knew very little about the creature that had attacked. What was a true miracle though, was that Aeon had lived.

There was much to answer in the woman’s reply, but the night was extending and Elyna felt the weight of her pregnancy as she sat. A sip of cold water revived her energy for a moment and she sat forward. A spy? The blue skinned beauty before her was fishing and the cautious smile turned into a grin. Details that would be revealed over her head body, if she ever had a choice. About to excuse herself, she paused.

“And if I told you, that I’d been held prisoner at my Uncles command and that my actions were purely selfish?” She asked, voice light as she stood. The action taking more time than it should. The woman before her could see the pregnancy, she knew when the battle had taken place and surely she could work backwards. For any fool with eyes it was clear that Lady Burhan would have been very obviously pregnant at the time of the rebellion. “What if they were had simply been an act of self-preservation, with an additional outcome of curtailing the war. An outcome that I will remain grateful for, until my very last breath,” it was her turn to offer an apologetic look, realising that she’d left on a tangent, “I dislike a waste of life,” she admitted, “any life.”
word count: 724
Yanahalqah
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Knight Captain of the Iron Hand
Renown: 341
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Turning the tables

Yana could see the woman in front of her did not want to agree with what she had said. Admittedly, there were no facts to support her argument, making it no more than just a theory, a hypothesis. Yet, it wasn't speculation without foundation, as Yana had thought about what she would have done if she had been in the top brass. The war itself was detrimental to the country, but that did not mean it couldn't be used for beneficial purposes. Using it to establish the King as a wise and powerful man was a smart move, one that would tighten his grasp of the populace. If he could show that an uprising was nothing to him, that he could stand victorious in both negotiation and combat, his validity as a ruler would be underlined. Moreover, it would serve to make other nobles thinking of starting a coup think twice before attempting.

None of that had even to have happened at all. History was written by the victor, and if the king was hailed as the savior, as a powerful and wise monarch, then that was correct. No one would be able to dispute it either... or at least, they'd make sure there wasn't any who would. That is what Yana would have done. Lady Burhan had effectively thwarted all of it however. Instead of Cassander, she was now hailed as a hero. And there was nothing he could do about it.

The false Eídisi gave a thin smile as the noble woman echoed that her judgment was based on speculation, seemingly to reassure herself that it wasn't necessarily true. That perhaps it had been her hard work that had gotten her her promotion, and not her name.
“Of course. It is all purely hypothetical.”
It was only natural Lady Burhan did not want to hear such things. People did like to think they were special. That they had earned promotion through hard work and determination. The pregnant woman had explicitly admitted as much with her words. She tried to make some arguments to disproved Yana, or so the Eídisi believed, mentioning another who'd gotten promoted.

“Someone actually tried fighting that monster?” Despite the vagueness of Lady Burhan's mention of “the beast”, Yana knew immediately what she was talking about. She'd witnessed that monstrosity with her own eye, albeit from afar, safe and out of range. “I am surprised he made it out alive. That thing tore through plate as if it was wet paper. Arrow nor sword seemed to have any effect.” She fell silent for a brief moment, brow creased as she recalled the events as clearly as she could. If memory served, someone had drawn the beast away from the front lines. But it hadn't been an ordinary soldier. The armor had suggested it had been a Royal Guard. She had assumed he'd just drawn its attention, and had ran as fast as possible, choosing not to fight it. Though it was possible he'd had no choice but to defend himself. She could not imagine him having survived such an encounter though.

She made a dismissive gesture with her hand then, bringing herself back into the present. “That aside, I do wonder if there was a need to consider him a loose end. His and your situation are nothing alike.” A pause. "There is a difference between stabbing a man during negotiations, and fighting a monster by yourself, Lady Burhan," the false Eídisi smiled, "It is the same difference between using a poisoned goblet to kill a rival, or killing them during a duel to the death." One was considered honorable, the other not so much.

Lady Burhan stood then, informing Yana of her motivations back during the war, though veiling them behind some “what if's”. “I would have no problem with it at all,” the Yludih stated, “I can understand a selfish motivation like that far better than one that stems from altruism.” She rose from her seat as well, feeling the debate was coming to an end. It was unfortunate, the Yludih had actually enjoyed it, contrary to her expectations. She'd thought that stupid game would have been more entertaining, but she'd been wrong. “Well then, Lady Burhan, I will have to excuse myself. I am afraid Hannes has indulged in the festivities a bit too much, and is causing trouble somewhere. Or will in the near future.” He always did when he'd drunk too much. Though with “causing trouble” Yana meant he was annoying other guests with his self-pity, and that he was throwing up everywhere. “I hope to find him before that happens, if possible. Or get to him before things get out of hand.”

She dropped a shallow curtsy, then marched out the room, deciding to head to the buffet first, as Hannes was most likely to hang around the table with drinks. She sighed. He'd be impossible to deal with, again.

word count: 841
"Speaking" - Thinking - "Others speaking"
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Turning the tables

Elyna

Points!:

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 5/ 5
Structure: 5/ 5
Knowledge:

Detection: Sometimes, you're happier not seeing the small details.
Detection: Small details on clothes can make a big difference.
Politics: Mingling nobility and military politics is complex
Game: Skittles
Hannes Gudhelth: A knight
Hannes Gudhelth: Seems to not like meeting his own standards
Hannes Gudhelth: Quite a sensitive soul
Hannes Gudhelth: Enamoured with Saeri
Saeri LaChasse: Eidisi
Saeri LaChasse: Believes ignorance is a flaw, not a crime
Saeri LaChasse: Born in Etzos
Saeri LaChasse: Never been to Viden
Saeri LaChasse: Wonders if the baby is Tristan Venora's
Saeri LaChasse: Very clinical
Saeri LaChasse: Thinks you got promoted because of your family
Saeri LaChasse: Believes the way you killed Velijorn was efficient and cowardly (but no offence!)

Loot:
NA
Fame:
NA
Devotion:
NA
Magic:
These points may NOT be used for arcana
Yanahalqah

Points!:

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 5/ 5
Structure: 5/ 5
Knowledge:

Elyna Burhan: A noble
Elyna Burhan: Pregnant
Elyna Burhan: Recently promoted
Elyna Burhan: More comfortable with a bow than a billiard ball
Elyna Burhan: Has always wanted to travel
Elyna Burhan: Would rather bed a gorilla than Tristan Venora. Thinks the feeling is probably mutual.
Game: Skittles
Etiquette: the curtsy
Physics: Rolling objects on curves surfaces
Detection: Minute details in non verbal communication can give key information.

Loot:
NA
Fame:
NA
Devotion:
NA
Magic:
These points may NOT be used for arcana

Overview:

General comments. What an intriguing thread! I loved the interplay between the two of you and the juxtaposition of their viewpoints was beautifully portrayed by you both.
Story So many layers to this story! The meet and greet nature of it, Elyna's anxieties about pregnancy and motherhood, Yana's relationship with Hannes, and then the two pcs themselves, almost circling each other. Lovely!
Structure Great - no problems at all.

Please do PM me if you think I've missed anything or you have any questions!
word count: 325
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”