• Solo • The Skittering Mind

Vera receives a letter from her mentor

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.

Moderators: Basilisk, Pegasus, Plague

• Solo • The Skittering Mind

Postby Vera » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:49 pm

1st of Saun 716, Mid-Day.

Even in broad daylight, Vera chose a different route to her home every single day on her trip home to her apartment. There were a number of roads - one never knew when they were being watched! She stopped by store after store, going inside and checking the wares - from hat shops to farming implements … hah, old past-times. It’s been so long since I cut ties with my family … I wonder if I even have any still. It’s probably best to disassociate myself from such attachments; they’re not couth.

After about an hour of meandering, Vera arrived at her canal-side hovel. It was a very convenient place, but sparsely furnished … she mostly sat within by herself and contemplated her problems from elsewhere. She opened her door and stepped inside, surprised to find paper tapping against her feet as she stepped inside. She leaned down and picked up the letter, eyes widening slightly in intrigue when she saw who it was from.

“Dear Vera,

My little birdie flies,
Never lands,
My lovely birdie,
Please land and sing,
But fear the cage,
Stay free,
Stay sane,

Oh, sparrow! Serve the faith, serve the family,

-Attics”

It was a peculiar note, but Vera didn’t see anything off about it - the name on the bottom was one she knew well - a letter alias used by S’ketta. Why send a pointless letter such as this one? Vera pondered over it, looking around the apartment suspiciously in case someone was there waiting for her. One never knew what sort of web a webspinner spun.
Vera
Approved Character

Race: Human
Profession: Webspinner
Renown: -47
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Medals: 3
Peer Reviewer (1) One Arc Later... (1) Survivor (1)

The Skittering Mind

Postby Vera » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Finally, she sat down upon her simple bed and started to look at the letters, the words, trying to make sense of it all. Bits went by like grains of sand. She looked at it from all angles - font inconsistencies, stringing words together. My Never, My Please, But Stay, Stay…. M, N, M, P, B, S, S… … this had to be a hidden message of some sort. Flies, lands, birdie sing, cage, free, sane…

Was she reading too far into it? Was this a simple piece of shoddy poetry? Stress made her heart beat faster, and she set it aside, laying down on her side and staring off at the wall. Please land and sing … stay free … stay sane. Am I working too hard, does she want me to relax? I’m not like you, S’ketta … I never have been.

Vera pulled the blankets over herself, shutting her eyes and thinking back to the events of the prior night - her patient, the psychotic man. She’d been working herself hard, long hours overnight … her skin had grown pale. She was quite the night creature despite the sunlight. She sighed … Vera was no codebreaker, and S’ketta knew that. Perhaps the old woman knew she would fall into examining herself?

Oh Sintra, Labrae … this world I know not yet. I pray I stay sane to help you...

Her tired mind was restless, always processing something - insomnia was her crux. She knew the cause … an overactive imagination, excessive introspection. She paid the price for her talents in mental exhaustion quite often … S’ketta must be asking her to let go. But how did she understand her struggles even when she was so far removed?

She lay awake in bed for a time, mind puzzling out her existence and relationships before it was expunged of energy entirely. She was out like a light, crumpled letter falling to the wooden floor where it began to glow a green light in the darkness when the sun finally set. Letters in an invisible font soon emerged alongside the poem as the moon touched the paper.

All is well, Llewsi Lla.
Keep up your work, my dear.
I hear good things, good things indeed.
My love to you is only surpassed by She.
But I fear my days are short.
Should I vanish to the wind,
know that I thought of you in my final moments.
Vera
Approved Character

Race: Human
Profession: Webspinner
Renown: -47
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Medals: 3
Peer Reviewer (1) One Arc Later... (1) Survivor (1)

The Skittering Mind

Postby Kingdom » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:54 pm

CASSANDER
King of Rynmere

Vera

Knowledge:
Basic
Attics: A strange letter with a hidden message

Loot: 1 x strange letter from Attics
Injuries: n/a
Fame: n/a

Story: 3/5
Collaboration: 0/5
Structure: 5/5

Comment: Super short? Can’t say there was much in the way of plot or character accomplishment, but it was well written.

A N D I T' S A L L J U S T S M A L L S T U F F, B A B Y.
Kingdom
Prophet of Old

Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 21
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1)
Painting With Words (1) Dungeon Master (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1)
Ambassador (1) Supporter (1) Alpha Testing (1) Review Master (1)
Pioneer (1) Addict (1) Scandalous (1) Puppet Master (1)
Survivor (1) Holy Tax Accountant (1) Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)
Winner Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

Return to Andaris