• PM To Join • So You Think You Can Dance?

Auditions for The Forgotten Gift

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.

Moderators: Basilisk, Pegasus, Plague

• PM To Join • So You Think You Can Dance?

Postby Val Valencia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:50 pm

60th of Ashan, 718
*Common*

She'd wandered the city since she came from Venora and though Andaris was on the same lands they seemed entirely different. Crowded streets, less fluid and she missed the lushness of the Venoran lands but she'd been curious, too curious to stay away from the new sights. Still, it was to work in her favor it would seem, a giddy thrill running through her as she tugged on the person beside her. She would have clapped her hands in childish glee but instead her free hand fluttered to the board exaggeratedly.

"That! It says auditions, doesn't it?"

"Can't you read?"
Comes the irritable reply but Val does not move her gaze from the words, recognizing some but not bothering to pick out the rest among the limited shades of gray.

"Not really. So, does it? And where are they? Is there a time?"

Almost guilty the stranger coughs, having realized the woman was serious and not just a pestering street worker trying to be cute, "The theater, its in midtown—big dome building so you can’t miss it. Now let go."

Its stern enough to garner a half-assed apology from Val before she flitted away, forgetting to ask how and where midtown exactly was. Where was she at anyway? The dancer cocked her head before she wandered forward with a shrug, she'd get there eventually if she kept heading the way she was, at least she thought so. Its not like going backwards would lead to anything other than her tent. But she needn’t have worried. It wasn’t hard to see the moment she stepped into midtown.

The building was taller than most she could see, the bright yellow hue shinning like a beacon that beckoned her like a sailor to the sea. Uncaring of any judgement Val broke into a run, half stumbling when her bare feet hit rocks, skirt and hair sailing behind her in her excitement. She near toppled into one of the guards at the door, who looked highly unimpressed with her, if his scowl was anything to go by.

“Can I help you?” If his tone was unfriendly, and it was, the dancer took no notice. She peered around the larger man to stare at the doors, eyes wide.

“There's auditions today, isn’t there?” As Val finally met the mans gaze she took a two quick steps back. It wasn’t often she apologized with any sincerity but the mans gaze was too hard for her not to feel like a cowed child, “Sorry, didn’t mean to crowd you.”

“You’re going to audition.”

It wasn’t a question but a coarse incredulous statement with the tone flying right over the mussed woman’s head as she clapped her hands and bounced on the spot, “Of course! Its so exciting, I’ve never been in a play before, I’ve never danced in a theater before either!”

“Then you want in the theater.”
Again, it wasn’t quite phrased as a question but this time the note of disgust in it did not go unnoticed by Val.

“Is it not open to everyone?”

“…it is.”

Her face split into a grin, “Can you show me in then?”

Without a yes or no or even so much as a nod the man turned and stormed towards the doors, Val trotting a reasonable distance behind.
Val Valencia
Approved Character

Race: Human
Profession: Dancer
Renown: +35
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

So You Think You Can Dance?

Postby Val Valencia » Mon May 07, 2018 4:14 pm

60th of Ashan, 718
*Common*

The inside of the theater was like something out of her childhood fantasies. From the chandeliers to the balcony of velvet above her head, even the wooden seats on the floor did nothing to detract from the wondrous view of it all. Days of dancing on the street rain or shine, snow or clear weather, none of that would affect anything in here and Val had the fantasy of dozen of people watching her. No competition, friendly or otherwise, just her, music and a stage.

Vals’ nose smashing into her guides arm sent those imaginings away in a flurry of brief, eye-watering pain. “Go stand over there.”

“Thanks…whats your name?” Val questions as she rubs her nose but the guard refuses to play the part of distraction, stomping away back the way they’d come. It leaves the dancer to assess the the line of people, some sitting, some standing, in line for the stage. On stage is a gorgeous woman, reading from the page with a face of minimal expression but her voice breaks like she is truly a woman professing her love in front of all. It tugs at Vals heart but she makes sure to listen and get an idea of whats going on as she practically floats her way to the back of the line.

But as much as Val loves the glamor of the room, the monotony of her fellow auctioneers gets to her and its not long before she’s tapping on the shoulder of her nearest companion, “So, what is there play about? Will there be dancers? And singers?”

“You’ve never heard of ‘The Forgotten Gift’?”

“No. Should I have?”

The woman sighed, “Its a new play, we only know its a drama. Civil war plays a part and its caught the eye of a lot of people, considering all the…you know. Didn’t you read the flyer?”

“Nope.”

“Well, break a leg.” The other woman said with an incredulous expression, eyes returning to the script in front of her. Val watched her for a moment and cursed mentally. The dancer couldn’t read so a script wouldn’t help her but she wanted one, if only to look more professional but she didn’t really need one, she wasn’t even an actor.

Her thoughts circled round and round like this as stretched, rolling her ankles, shoulders, neck, trying to keep her body occupied while her mind wandered. She hoped it would help with the stiffness of nerves. She’d never had to do this before, what if she—

“Next!” The word cuts through, the annoyance clear though the dancer is non the wiser to the fact that this is her third call to the stage. She skips up with a wave, smile easing onto her face at the prospect of finally dancing.

“Me!”

Theres a slow blink from the people in charge, “Name?”

“Oh! Of course, it’s Val.”

“Just Val?”

“Yup.”

“And what have you prepared for us…Val?”

“Prepared?”
Val cocks her head then shrugs, “Nothing but I can dance!”

“…I see, then go on.”

“Can I get some music?”

“What scale?”

“All of them?”

Theres some smirking that she can barely make out in the dim light and its not her concern, whether she gets a part or not doesn’t matter anymore because she is in a castle. A castle for dance and art and theres no where she’d rather be in that moment. She’s on a stage! Its the smallest adventure she’s had but it makes her heart swell.

“Music! Begin whenever you’re ready.”
Val Valencia
Approved Character

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

Postby Val Valencia » Tue May 15, 2018 7:19 pm

*Common*

Even when the dancer was still, her body hummed. In the large building the acoustics seemed to reverberate through her, different than spinning her way on dirt floors and have paved roads. It could literally be felt through her toes, thrumming in tune with her rapidly increasing heartbeat until it tingled all the way through her. Val couldn’t stop the grin that light up her cheeks, bordering on manic nor could she stop the way she flung back her arms and head. Laughter bubbled and was barely caught behind her lips. What she wouldn’t give to feel this sort of music all the time.

“Anytime to-trail, Miss Val.”

But the words went in one ear and out the other. Not that it mattered because the dancer began to do exactly what she was there for, dance. It was different than her normal style, not that the judges would know that but Val was improvising on the spot, enjoying the moment she had on stage with a dance that was nothing like she’d done before. To the judges watching it could be described as awkward or beautiful. Most likely the former but none the less eye catching in a sense of watching chaos unfold in ones body. To the dancer it was like posing. She could feel the happiness of the music and in her that same echo.

Though she was no acrobat but the first thing she found herself doing was bending her back in a arch that was almost painful, arms lifting up to praise or reach things she couldn’t see. It was a rising beat, thrumming through her. She stood straight, twirling herself shortly after, first to the left, then the right. The move nearly sending her to her knees but causing the laughter to spill out finally as she caught herself, arms out with one foot in the air and pointed back. Unable to keep still she waved her arms, feeling like a snake slithering before righting herself and continuing as if she’d meant to do whatever it was she was doing.

But the motion through her off sending her skipping over half the stage as the music rose until she was running across it then leaping up into the air, legs spread, arms out. But she hadn’t prepared for such a leap, the suddenness of it making her fall hard, knees hitting the stage even hard as the crescendo broke and fell into something softer. Something that faded yet lingered. She was lucky the accidental move worked for the sudden change of pace, the feel of it hitting her like a punch to the gut with its heavy reverb. It was like it was trying to suck the joy out of the dance, slowing until it would meet its ultimate end. The thought alone was enough to cause the dancer to hug herself, body melding to the floor in an effort to hold what was left of the dance to her and looking as though she was hugging someone goodbye.

The position worked to her advantage, Val channeling her inner child to bring back some glee but instead finding her feet kicking slowly to the beat, a denial of the end, as her arms pushed her up off the stage floor, fingers making grabby hands for things she couldn’t have. It was nearly enough to make her cry, lips wobbling because she could hear the music quieting, fading into the background. It told her her performance was nearly done. Caused her to roll off her back and to her knees, smacking the stage in denial until her arms were heavy, heavier than she’d realized, her legs and knees sore for the new dance. She slowed, until her body simply stopped, head hanging for a beats until the music finally faded away, leaving only the pounding of her heart and the sweat coating her skin.

When she looked up she was smiling, wiping away sweat, tears or both from her eyes. With wobbly legs Val stood and rubbed her knees as a few judges clapped while some just stared, a voice finally ringing out.

“That was…certainly different.”

The dancer took the back-handed compliment, if she could call it that, in stride with a dramatic and terrible curtsey. “Thank you!”
Val Valencia
Approved Character

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

Postby Val Valencia » Tue May 15, 2018 7:29 pm

*Common*

There was several bits of silence before the same voice spoke again as Val stayed non stage, unsure of what she was supposed to do next, “But can you act?”

“Sure!” Anyone could act and they hadn’t asked if she was good just if she could, at the very least she could try.

“Then come get this and read from it.”

“Um,”
Val twiddled her fingers nervously, toes tapping in anxiety, “I don’t think I can.”

“And why not?”

“I, uh, can’t read.”

“I see,”
there was an audible sigh that made Val fight a flinch, “Well, you certainly won’t be of much use for larger parts but your dance and facial expressions were acceptable. We could use you as an extra—“

The dancer could not hold back a squeal of excitement that was cut off sternly, though it did not stop Val from bouncing in place excitedly.

“However, I don’t guarantee anything but if you want any parts you’re required to show up to every rehearsal. Even if you do nothing, are we clear, Miss Val?”

“Of course! Thank you so much!”

“Hm, next!”

Dismissed Val scrambled off stage to watch the rest of the auditions and rest her bruised knees for the moment while her thoughts swirled at the thought of hundreds of eyes watching her dance under the lights.
Val Valencia
Approved Character

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

Postby Whisper » Wed May 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Val Valencia

Awarded Points
These points can/cannot be spent in magic

Awarded Knowledge
Dance: Leaping
Dance: Basics of Improv Style
Dance: Keeping up with Tempo
Acrobatics: Back Bend
Acrobatics: Balancing on one Leg
Endurance: Holding Dance Poses

Awarded Extras
Loot & Losses Injuries
None None
Renown Devotion
+5: Gaining a Role in a Play None

Comments
This was cute - Val's enthusiasm, confidence, and apparent lack of concern for what those around her think of her is infectious! I think we should all be like Val!

One thing, and this is going to be really hypocritical of me since people constantly pull me up for this in most of my posts haha, but anyway - couple of typos I noted, so maybe give your posts another quick glance over before posting? :)

If you have any questions, comments or criticism about your review, feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it.
Thank ye.
Whisper
Challenge Accepted
Storyteller - Rank 3

Race: Prophet
Profession: Storyteller
Renown: +394
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 16
Contributor of the Month (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Ambassador (1) Alpha Testing (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Pioneer (1) Right In The Feels (1) Starting A Family (1) Survivor (1)
Lol Worthy (1) Storyteller (1) Keyboard Monkey (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Return to Andaris