• Completed • The Orb Game [Tio, Navyri, Zana]

Global round 2 roll-off

The Misty Miasma is known best as a dark bedtime story, but others know all too well that the stories of this mystifying, deadly place are undoubtedly true. Adventurers keep wary eyes upon the horizon, wondering if and when they'll run into the stanch waters of the misty miasma. No one knows when they'll come across it. All they can do is hope they are prepared and pray they never find themselves within this place...

Moderator: Staff

Maltruism
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Profession: "Mastermind"
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

The Orb Game [Tio, Navyri, Zana]

It seemed that where Tio, Navyri and Zana had originally had separate rooms within this odd structure, they had all been mystically whisked away to a room that combined the elements of all three. No doubt some of them would find those unfamiliar elements distastefully mundane or frivolously ornate. But there was one element unfamiliar to all three of them...

In the center of what was now a round room, as opposed to the roughly wedge-shaped accommodations originally provided them, there stood a pedestal, with an flat top of oval form. Smoothed in a row into the top were three depressions. It would not take long for them to see that the depressions were shaped to allow an orb to be placed securely within.

Three contestants, three orbs, three depressions. Simple enough. But who would go first? And did it hinge upon only one of the orbs being placed in the right depression? Or did all three need to be set in some exact pattern. The orbs now contained no images, nor did the pedestal top.

It would perhaps only now occur to Zana and Navyri that they were each holding onto an orb. They had not gotten hold of theirs out in the Miasma, but they each held one now. With no glimmering images inside it was impossible to be sure that they held the orbs originally designated for them, but there was no real reason to think this would change; nor was there any real reason to think it mattered now.

There was no indication that there was any hurry, just as there was now no indication of a way out of this room. Speculation was most likely unanimous that completion of this next contest would allow the declaration of a "winner", as well as unlocking some means of departure.

One could hope so anyway...
 ! Message from: Maltruism
Okay so this will be the "final cut" regarding who advances to round 3. One of you has an advantage this round, in that they possess the "right" orb. It must be placed in the "right" depression to win, so there's a 33.3% chance of this ending after a single post. After that though, the contestants cannot retrieve the same orb they had the first time, but they will then place them again...and again...and again...as long as it takes to suddenly destroy the univ-...uhhh...I mean, win the game and go on to round 3.
I'm not initially treating this as a thread, since it might technically end after only one post; more of just enjoying a bit of fun at your expense. :lol: So don't worry about a word count. If it should "drag on", however, I may change my mind about that. There is no posting order.
Good Luck. 8-)
word count: 468
Tio Silver
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Race: Immortal
Profession: God of Curses
Renown: 665
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

To Tio, the moment when the orb he held grew to engulf him, and when it shrunk to reveal that he was in a new location, seemed only a moment apart. The room he now stood in seemed to be an amalgamation of his room and a couple of others, and the question of who's rooms answered itself when he noticed the two ladies from the previous game in the room with him. So they'd managed to catch their own orbs too had they? Then was their bringing here supposed to be the next round, a test to decide who alone would be the victor of the orb game? From the orb in his hand and the three indentations on the plinth Tio could guess as how this game was supposed to go, and frowned as he realized this game was entirely dependant on luck. Was there some way he could stop the other two while he figured out which indentation his orb was supposed to go in?

Not that he could immediately see. The best chance he had for winning this round was to take a chance and pray he got lucky.

"I suppose the gentlemanly thing to do would be to ladies go first wouldn't it? Too bad..." Tio walked briskly forward and put his orb in the left indentation, "that gambling brings out my competitive side.
[/align]
word count: 233
Fast Facts
Noticeable quirks your character can see when threading with Tio.

Floats

Tio floats in the air, usually just a foot off the ground.

Explodeibur

Tio wears a scary looking gauntlet on his right hand that is clearly magical. It creates explosions.

Mercury

Tio has a masked alter ego who leads The Court of Miracles.

Enchanting Voice

Tio's voice has hypnotic properties.
Navyri
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Thief
Renown: 348
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

"What if I fall?"

Oh but darling
What if you fly?
Time Unknown
  • Getting pushed from the nest.

Likely the most accurate description Navyri could use to explain her experience thus far - catching her orb with (an unexpected, but pleasant surprise) only to blink and suddenly be whisked away again once more, the wind rushing through her hair and blowing away loose feathers as she settled unsteadily in a strange... bedroom?

The winged Naer looked up; first at the blond duo and then to the dark pedestal. Made of smooth stone with no other discernible markings, it looked rather... well, unremarkable. Turning her attention to the space around her, Curio began to regain his footing on her shoulder and stopped beating his wings in an effort to stay put. She lifted a hand to stroke his neck in comfort but remained silent as Tio stepped eagerly forward, his personality more confident than when he had aided her. (So,) Navyri mused, (This is who you are?)

Zana caught her attention next, but it was brief. Navyri was still assessing her situation, calculating their reality. Was this too, the Miasma? What new dangers awaited them? Looking down, she felt the weight of the orb in her hand and idly moved away from the group and peered into the glass. After a trill, she proceeded to lift it up before a nearby lantern to try and discern any missed details. This was what she had been flying for? Frowning, she cupped the ball and then blew upon it, tapping the surface lovingly with sharp nails, "Hmm."

Stretching her wings out like one might extend their arms after a long night's rest, the great downy folded once more and she circled behind Tio, eyes fixating on the three indentations. A puzzle? Keeping a distance from the ominous plinth, Navyri bent at the waist and let her eyes roam over the substructure. She assessed its leveling and the shape of each valley, idly tossing her orb between her hands. Didn't one need to understand the lock before one could pick it?

When Tio did not fall into an immediate trap, Navyri's paranoia subsided minimally. Zana still held orb, and while waiting could give her a better chance... It could also be the key to something much more. She raised one of her hands and Curio stepped upon her straightened fingers. Looking into the familiar's depth-less eyes, she kissed its forehead and smiled, "May I?"

(Now.)

Curio dove from her hand, talons sinking around Tio's key as his wings lifted him high and circled overhead. Her smile turning into a delighted grin, the thief extended her palm expectantly just as the stolen orb was dropped into her outstretched hand, "Are you trying to compete with me?" She arched a dark brow took a decisive step forward. Dropping Tio's orb opposite - into the right arrangement, she threw her own into the middle opening, giving a slight spin. It rolled around the edge and came to rest in the center of the three. After all, where else did she deserve to be?
word count: 521
"At last. It has been too long since I have walked the face of this world. Too long have I been locked there, awaiting my champion to release me. My champion... This is you, daughter of Audrae. You have, whether knowingly or not, released me from my self imprisonment, and are here to fulfill the destiny I have seen written in the tapestry of nature. You, daughter of Audrae's daughter, will be my foothold in this world." - Belaera to The Nightingale, after the 600 arc imprisonment
Maltruism
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Profession: "Mastermind"
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

There are times that a creative take on some set of rules serve to deliver a brilliantly self-serving subversion of the intent of the game.

Then there are other times...

Delroth would undoubtedly be proud of Navyri's unexpected interpretation of the rules. It was true that the understanding had been that none of the orbs' positions were to be switched before all three were placed. But it had not been specifically worded that way. It was only said that no contestant could retrieve their same orb they'd had for that round.

Since Zana had not yet placed her orb, the round was not yet completed. So any restriction on picking up an already-placed orb had not yet come into effect. While it was true that Tio Silver had been teleported here possessing the "right" orb, the maker of this contest, some believing it to be Cassion, had played no favorites. Either of the two females could have placed theirs in the depression that his had needed to be placed in for victory.

But it shouldn't have mattered...

For the fact was that Tio had not initially placed his orb in the correct depression. Had he done so, he'd have been instantly teleported away to some unknown location to compete in the next phase of the great game. Cassion had not even considered that a second contestant might lift his and move it before placing her own. But once he was to discover what Navyri had done, undoubtedly in some greedy attempt to follow up on some hunch that would gain victory for herself, he was sure to burst into uproarious laughter over the irony.

For the winged Naerikk had done what Tio had failed to do. By placing his orb, the 'right" one, into the correct depression, she had won this round!

But she won it for Tio...

Even as her orb spun in the center depression, the room spun for Tio. The only thing the two women would feel, however, was a slight pop in their ears, and a slight rush of air pressure adjustment, as the spot where Tio stood was suddenly made vacant. Zana and Navyri stood in shocked realization that the game had just ended for them.

It was hard to say just how Zana would react to having had her chance to place an orb snatched away by Navyri's tricky move. With some consideration, she might come to the conclusion that she would not have been able to win the first round anyway. But it was only Navyri's move that prevented them all from starting on equal footing for a now non-existent second round.

Would her anger provoke the kind of aggression that could ruin her hair?
 ! Message from: Maltruism
Okay so I swear to God I had no idea Nav was going to do this. :lol:
I'm absolutely delighted by this unexpected turn of events. Love you, Nav, and don't worry. I had already been reached by Zana, who was genuinely worried about winning, due to unforeseen complications.
But I think it would be awesome for the two of you to get into a wonderfully vicious girl-fight!! ;)
word count: 533
Navyri
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Thief
Renown: 348
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

"What if I fall?"

Oh but darling
What if you fly?
Time Unknown
OOC
Since Zana retired, I'm posting again and I hope that's okay. I didn't want to take any liberties with her PC, so sadly no cat fight. Also, thanks for the Pioneer medal nomination! Navyri's making moves. lmao

Confidence was key.

And it was. Navyri in her infinite wisdom had known the risks, but had hoped - as anyone would - that without the pictures swirling within the orbs, perhaps they could be claimed by anyone now. By stealing Tio's orb, she looked upon the indentions with careful examination. Assuming it had to be the first correct one placed and not a perfect combination of all three, his own choice must have been wrong. She now had a good chance of choosing correctly and Navyri was a believer of big risk, big reward. A gambler with a growing ego and wicked intelligence, surely the stars were aligned in her favor!

(You think you can compete with me?)

Navyri blinked and Tio was gone, the silence that followed the popping departure stunning the two women. And then staring at where he stood, the beautiful brunette burst into shocked laughter, manicured hands rising to cover her face. A red flush rushed to her high cheeks and then the tips of her ears. The response had been unplanned - oh the irony. Even Navyri, as suddenly embarrassed as she was could see the humor. Had it been anyone else, she would have been doubled over in delight.

Curio, who had felt the Naer's readying expectation of success through their mental connection, landed upon the pedestal and turned his head till it was almost upside down. She could feel his curiosity and confusion mingling with her own vibrant emotions, "A youthful misadventure, darling." Navyri announced to her feathered friend, glancing at the blond woman on the other side and returning the avian to her shoulder, "Happens to the best of us who are too clever for our own good."

A coy smile now on her lips, she extended a sharp nail and touched the middle orb, finding that it did not shift in its place. Ah, just as she had expected - a catch. "Now..." she tapped a sharpened nail to her bottom lip, contemplating her next move and honing in on the feathered markings lining Zana's arms. A Delroth marked? So, this was her competition? Who had the other one been? "Where do you think he went?" The mirth slowly fading from her eyes, Navyri knew she had lost whatever game this was and the disappointment that would follow shortly was inevitable. Would she be punished? How could she have failed?

She reached out a hand and tried to touch Tio's claim, wondering if it too as now unable to be shifted or if there was still a sliver of hope.
word count: 484
"At last. It has been too long since I have walked the face of this world. Too long have I been locked there, awaiting my champion to release me. My champion... This is you, daughter of Audrae. You have, whether knowingly or not, released me from my self imprisonment, and are here to fulfill the destiny I have seen written in the tapestry of nature. You, daughter of Audrae's daughter, will be my foothold in this world." - Belaera to The Nightingale, after the 600 arc imprisonment
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Misty Miasma”