• Graded • Mixed Messengers

Part II of The Global

The Misty Miasma is known best as a dark bedtime story, but others know all too well that the stories of this mystifying, deadly place are undoubtedly true. Adventurers keep wary eyes upon the horizon, wondering if and when they'll run into the stanch waters of the misty miasma. No one knows when they'll come across it. All they can do is hope they are prepared and pray they never find themselves within this place...

• Graded • Mixed Messengers

Postby Maltruism » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Image

Mixed Messengers (Global, part II)
121 Vhalar, arc 717

It would probably strike the involved mortals as unexpected...

It was true, they had all been given strong hints that their next task would be of a certain style and location. And although none of these hints suggested that the same arena was to be provided to them all. What presented itself to them now was not anticipated, even though it was largely the same in some aspects.

Those that had previously been tasked by Thetros, did find the same richly furnished room awaiting them when the singular blend of aromas piqued their collective awareness. It was the "trigger" they'd been told to expect the season before. And they responded now as they'd promised. But they were not together, as had been the case last time. Each had an identical such room all to himself.

Those tasked by Delroth found a greater degree of difference in their current environment than the "Thetrosian" group. That was most likely due to the fact that Delroth had never given much indication of what setting would be expected at this point.

His daughter, Zana, found herself simply waking up in her room as always, her lovely visage in the vanity mirror inspiring an unrepentant surge of narcissism and conceit. What else could honestly be expected from the child of greed and vanity? No doubt, her first waking awareness was the need to correct the imperfections in her appearance, few as they were. Her father had never said there would be any change in where she would awaken on this trial.

Nor had he told Navyri to expect any particular starting point for her test. She'd been in Etzos when he'd charged her with tracking down a carving of a Raven that apparently meant a lot to him. The chamber she found herself in was not unlike a rental unit in The Second Story Inn in Etzos, save for the complete lack of the sort of din one would expect from a boisterous common room below.

But like Zana, if she turned to face the door, she would see a semi-pastoral setting right through the doorway, as if no door existed. Something did though, for no sound or smell came into the room from beyond. There was a curiously unsettling feel to this awaiting hillside forest. Visibility was poor, due to a slow-moving mist, what trees could be seen were occasionally dead-looking, and there were odd green sparkles in the air, that were not bound by whatever air current guided the mist. They flitted irregularly. like insects.

Davic might have swatted at these annoyances, had any of them buzzed close. He alone believed himself to already be "outside". It may have gone unnoticed, however, that he was in a narrow niche formed by a steep hillside and some fallen logs; and that he too would have nowhere to go but forward into the scenery.

Tio Silver may have been looking from his generic Scalvorisian unit in hopes of seeing Delroth's magnificent chariot. The fact that there was no sign of it might be motive enough to creep from his room into the adjoining landscape. But if not, the sudden appearance of a beautiful orb may have been. It matched the appearance described to him by Delroth himself.

One such orb appeared before all of these mortals, just beyond their little "safe-zones". Each orb would suddenly turn jet black, sprout wings and launch into the air before any of the mortals could prevent it. All of them turned sharply, once airborne, and whisked out of view of the narrow scope of the doorway's visibility.

If they left their "room", the sounds of nature would suddenly be heard clearly, though no sources would necessarily be seen. If they looked back, they would see a round, wide structure, with doorways suggesting a "pie-sliced" room array within. They may recall that their rooms actually accommodated this build, being wider at the door than at the other end. Though their own doors appeared open to themselves, every other door looked closed and would be locked to them. Davic would only see a wide, flat-topped hill, with a single cave-like entrance from where he'd emerged.

It was upon the gathered mortals to respond as they chose.

 ! Maltruism wrote:
So, here we are! I am sorry I was slow to get this going. RL can suck sometimes. But that is my problem.
YOUR collective problem is catch "your" orb. Catching someone else's orb will gain you nothing. You may simply get lucky and stumble across yours, but each orb will try hard to elude its chosen mortal. Help may come from unexpected sources.
For the sake of argument, since the structure itself will block some contestants from others at first, lets say that clockwise from due north, the PC's doors are as follows:
Tio Silver
Nir'wei
Navyri
Robin Stark
Davic
Zana
Finn O'Connor
This does not imply posting order. You are free to post as you will, once each round.
And I hope your decriptions are up to date on your CSs, for everyone else's sake.
I am not bothering with your descriptions. :lol:
I will post Sunday each week, each of you posting once in the interim. That should give us five rounds, six if we bleed over to Dec. 3rd (Zi'da).
If everyone hurries, we may be able to squeeze in more.
Two missed posts, with no advance notification, will be taken as your PC giving up and going back his "room", where he will awaken wherever he is in the real IC world.
User avatar
Maltruism
The standard against whom all others are judged.
Storyteller - Rank 4
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 pm
Race: Prophet
Profession: "Mastermind"
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Player Review
Personal Journal
Medals: 23
Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1) Painting With Words (1)
Dungeon Master (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Alpha Testing (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (2)
Scandalous (1) Puppet Master (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Storyteller (1) Holy Tax Accountant (1) Keyboard Monkey (1) King Kong (1)
Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

Mixed Messengers

Postby Tio Silver » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Image


There were some people who had an innate sense for when things were wrong. They were the kind of people who talked about a foulness in the air, a prickling on the backs of their necks or some other such sensation when danger was nearby, and who could wake up after being magically transported to an unusual place and instantly know that something strange was afoot.

Tio was not one of those people.

The room he woke up in looked exactly like his room in the Scalvoris Sapphire, and so the Yludih didn't suspect that anything was wrong as he carried out his morning routine. He did some stretches, ate an apple and a handful of gold coins for breakfast, and washed his face blissfully unaware of the strange circumstances he was already caught up in. It was only when he opened the door to listen for any signs of Element soldiers in the tavern below and was met with the sight of a strange spherical object floating up into the air above him that he clicked that something wasn't right.

For a few seconds Tio stood in confused silence, vacantly staring at the levitating ball. The mysterious object wasn't doing anything special, just hovering there about as far away from the door frame as he was, as if it was looking back at him perhaps and waiting for him to make a move. Then with a flash that felt oddly cheeky the sphere turned a jet black colour, sprouted wings and flew off down the hallway.

Tio raised an eyebrow as he watched the object zoom off. What was that all about? And what was that object anyway? Some kind of...

"Orb..." He muttered to himself. Saying the word out loud caused a nagging sensation in back of his brain to start up, as if he was forgetting something important but couldn't quite place his finger on what it was. "Orb?" He said again, the word dragging something from his memory. Suddenly in a flash of revelation it hit him, and the scene from one hundred nights ago when the Immortal of greed had appeared before him and demanded his service played out before him.

"Orb! ORB!" He yelled, realising with a start what was happening! That was the orb Delroth had been talking about, the one that he needed to get in order for lord peck-and-preen to remove the curse he'd placed upon him! Eating gold for the past season had not been a pleasant experience. The metallic taste become strangely appealing recently, that was true, but the discomfort he went through in order to get it out the other end was not worth it! When he'd claimed that he wanted to be so rich that he would shit gold bricks one day he hadn't meant it quite so literally! And right now the only chance he had to escape from his suffering was flying off into the distance!

It would have been best for him if he'd had stopped for a moment and thought things through at this point, but in his blind panic Tio couldn't think of anything but the orb. He threw on a pair of shoes and grabbed his cutlass, forgetting that he was still wearing nothing but a pair of grey satin pajamas, and charged out of room down the hallway the orb had been in.

Moments later he burst out of the door at the end of the hallway and into... a swamp? Had he been a bit calmer he would have assessed the strange forest he now found himself in, and the building he'd come out of, in greater detail. But he wasn't calm: the orb was flying away, and for all he knew he might never see it again!

"OOORRRBBB!" He bellowed at the top of his lungs with furious determination as he sprinted off into the forest, heading roughly in the direction his orb had flown off to.
Unable to post much (if anything) until the 21st.
User avatar
Tio Silver
Bad in all the Good Ways
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 am
Race: Yludih
Profession: Pirate Captain
Renown: +357
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters
Medals: 5
Story of the Month (1) Helper (1) Painting With Words (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Event Medal (1)

Mixed Messengers

Postby Nir'wei » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:41 pm

Image
He could remember going to bed, but he couldn't remember waking up again. It wasn't normal to wake up standing upright either, in a room that wasn't his but remained vaguely familiar. He blinked away some faint dizziness, but if anything it just made the room spin even more as he groped for a grip on his senses. The moment his eyes laid on the faintly flickering candle, everything sharpened and fell eerily still. It's the same one that Thetros spoke of. The one that would guide them to this same room, he guessed it was a small part of his realm, or something similar. Only, the whole point of the candle was that he was supposed to consciously think about it before he went to sleep - that was the mechanism he'd been told. Honestly, he'd completely forgotten about it. Nearly an entire season of nothing, not even a peep from the Immortal had slowly hammered home the thought that perhaps all of it really had been nothing more than a crazy dream brought on by delusions. Faith had stuck needles into his brain not too long ago - who knew what that could cause in the long term?

In dreams, Archailist always appeared materialised, resting on his shoulder... but this time he had that same sword thrown over his back, a long handle wrapped in leather strips thrusting over one shoulder. He still never told the reason for that, or even where he'd found such a thing... or why he could wield it, even. Yet more questions; though Archailist's presence alone answered at least one of the most pressing ones. "It's about to begin." He crouched low, as if readying himself for a sprint.

This was Greyhide's first time visiting the room, since Thetros' appearance had come marginally before Karem's, but he took it in his stride and planted himself firmly at Nir'weis side, nearly matching Archailist's pose. The two must have talked at some point. Some unknown channel of communication that they must've known about, bypassing him entirely and preventing him from hearing what the two spirits spoke of. Hell, they could have done it late at night while he was asleep and he'd have never known... but what was so important about the Misty Miasma that Greyhide could be trusted with it, but not Nir'wei himself?

The 'orb' appeared, hovered in front of his face, sprouted black wings and flew through the only door, an open door at the narrow end of the room. They had only moments to respond - every moment spent deciding was another foot of ground added between them and the orb. Thankfully, Greyhide held none of Nir'weis hesitation; he sprinted straight out the door after the orb, leaving Nir'wei no choice but to follow close at his heels. Straight out the open doorway without a glance back. Into the Misty Miasma. Nothing but cold determination flowed through Greyhide as he sprinted, lost in the thrill of the hunt, struggling to pick up the scent of the flying black orb. From Archailist came an odd mix of excitement, mixed with equal part ironclad discipline and fear. Nir'wei didn't need to look to his shoulder to know that Archailist gripped the handle of his sword in a white-knuckle grip.
User avatar
Nir'wei
Disney Princess-in-training
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:38 am
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Animal Handler of The Menagerie
Renown: +136
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 10
Story of the Month (1) Painting With Words (1) Mentor (1) Beta Bot (1)
One Arc Later... (1) Right In The Feels (2) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

Mixed Messengers

Postby Finnegan O'Connor » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:52 pm

Image
Finn O'Connor :: 121st of Vhalar, 717
His eyes fluttered open. There was a moment of trepidation in which the entire, puzzling circumstance of his surroundings washed over him, but then he remembered he'd been to this place before, and he relaxed. The scent of oiled wood, of sweet cigar smoke, even the subtle creaking noises of the comfortable leather chair he found himself in, all were familiar to him. For a while he remained sitting cross-legged in the chair, at ease in the dream bubble and without inclination to move. But as he became aware of a dark orb hovering in the room, suspending itself with freshly sprouted wings, he stirred and lazily reached out. Well before his stubby, dirty digits could ensnare the mesmerizing orb, it had moved and teased him to try again.

Having grasped nothing but air, a look of determination came over Finn's features as he jumped up from his seat and reached for the orb again, but by the time his feet hit the floor, it had long vanished. Instead, a doorway beckoned and he spotted a hillside beyond, dotted with ancient-looking, gnarly tree whose roots sunk like veins into the skin of the land.

Slowly but surely the groggy fog that lingered over his mind began to lift. He rubbed his eyes as he edged closer to the doorway, unsure if he'd really taste moist air on his lips, or sense grass tickle his lower legs when he would step through.

His caution wasn't shared by others. No sooner than he'd carefully placed one leg through the entrance did he hear a lively scream to his immediate right. There came a man in naught but his loose, flapping nightware, charging forward like a blood-crazed pirate while screaming his lungs out. "Oooorrrbbb!"

Finn shot a hand up to his chest to calm his palpitating heart, but didn't remain surprised for long. He smiled after the dash of waving blonde hair, storming further into the mist, admiring the man's infatuating enthusiasm.

A presence emerged to his immediate right. He recognized the man from the shared dream he'd had, almost a season ago and wondered if perhaps it meant Robin was around too. He looked to his left but couldn't yet spot the brisk element-lover, and when he turned back to face Nir'wei to ask the gruff-looking fellar if he'd seen Robin, the man had already departed, chasing after his orb like a dog going after a ball.

For a trill he contemplated following Nir'wei's example, but then thought better of it. Not only would it be tiring to do so, but he wasn't even sure if he was supposed to go after the winged orb to begin with. As far as he recalled, Thetros hadn't specified what he wished to see retrieved from this misty realm. As Finn plodded slowly ahead, stopping only to pick up an old branch for a walking stick (and to ocassionally glance over his shoulder), he remembered the telling look Thetros had fired his way when he had doubted his own usefulness to the quest. Unobtrusive, that was what Thetros needed him to be, and so he ventured into the misty woods, swinging his stick idly by his side as he set out to explore his surroundings. Thetros' had alluded to the existance of other people or beings in this realm, but hadn't given Finn any reason to fear them or be on his guard. In fact, Finn rather hoped he might come across a lone dweller or a settlement of sorts, for he had many questions he wanted to ask.
User avatar
Finnegan O'Connor
Approved Character
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:24 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Mischiefmaker
Renown: +71
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Medals: 4
Helper (1) Painting With Words (1) Guild Master (1) Legend In Waiting (1)

Mixed Messengers

Postby Robin Stark » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:45 pm

Robin woke in a four poster bed. The curtains were drawn exposing an unfamiliar room. There was a haze of smells. He sniffed. Things like sharp ginger and dusty cinnamon.

Licorice, he remembered.

His eyes flicked to red-brown end table. His eyes flicked to a single candle. It was stark white and it's flame weak and mute. He remembered.

His feet were bare against the thick carpet. It was brown like dirt. Robin stretched, leathers on and weapons strapped to his waist. His fingers danced over his longsword before counting his daggers. Five to throw and two to stab. He cracked his fingers. The candle flame flickered. Robin's eyes lingered on the door that wasn't a door. He wondered if this was a dream, like the last time. It felt real.

And then there was the orb.

It floated, despite there being nothing to float on; there wasn't a wind. Still, it hovered. He caught his reflection on it's surface. Something bit his insides. He wanted the orb. It shined in decadence and he reached out and --

Darkness bloomed.

Robin frowned.

Jet black and ink wings sprouted.

A panic caught his chest. Felicia and he had spent summers chasing jays and crows. Things with wings never stayed still for long. Robin moved faster, pushing his arms farther, his fingers sprawled, and --

And it flew.

Because that's what things with wings do.

He heard a scream in the distant. A battle cry. Orb.

Robin breathed in, holding his breath as he jumped outside. Spinning, faster and faster, his arms limp as he called wind. His ether leaked, spilling from his fingertips and toes. It floated. It sank into the earth. A team of three was better than one. Robin smirked as the wind answered with a gale, almost knocking him over. The earth rumbled below him, awake and ready.

"You're faster than anything, aren't you?." The wind answered him with another gust. It was a proud wind he'd summoned. "I'm supposed to find something in the earth," he paused, a quick foot into the dirt to get the ground listening too. He didn't want either element asleep, not now. "I want the orb. The black thing? It's flying because it thinks it's faster than you," It wasn't a lie, technically. Robin could hear the elements, but he couldn't hear the orb. Immortals knew what it was saying. "Bring it back. Teach 'em why the wind rules the skies."

He fed his spell into the wind, his wants, his desires, his thoughts. He helped it know what he wanted it to do.

"As for you," he said, bending down to the grass and soil. "Thetros said you would be hiding something. Any ideas?" He asked, waiting for an answer.
User avatar
Robin Stark
rock my body
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 pm
Location: Ne'haer
Race: Human
Profession: Guard
Renown: +5
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 5
Painting With Words (1) In Your Favor (1) Right In The Feels (1) First Kiss (1)
Lol Worthy (1)

Mixed Messengers

Postby Navyri » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:23 am

Image
"What if I fall?"

Oh but darling
What if you fly?
121st of Vhalar, 717

    Navyri hated mist.

    She hated the ominous foreboding it brought with it and the strange, otherworldly feeling. Nothing was as it was supposed to be, and it was then that the Naer frowned, kicking the blankets from her and staring at the opening that showed an ethereal forest just beyond. The last time she had awoken in a bed that wasn’t hers, Delroth had taken her to the Misty Miasma and well… Navyri wasn’t excited about going through the door. The fog was familiar, and the similarities were enough to make her hesitant.

    It wasn’t that Navyri was particularly keen to these types of things, but experience had taught her well and she paced liked a trapped animal. She was being summoned again - always, and reached for her boots, tugging them on and looking for the backpack that should have been at the foot of the bed. Peeking beneath the bed frame, she found it and slipped it over her shoulder, marching towards the exit, waving to Curio, who sat perched on the bed frame.

    She could do this. If this was the place she remembered… Was Belaera still here? What of Garizma? What of… the terrible Anak?

    The Naer watched the speckles of green flit randomly in the air, lifting a hand a reaching outwards, distracted only by the black orb just out of her range that started to stir. Navyri braced herself, watching as wings sprouted from it and it shot into the air. Her blue eyes widened and she took a deep breath, gripping the straps of her bag tighter and began to chase after it. The soles of her boots dug into the spongy ground, and she powered on, wings unfolding as she kept an eye on the black orb now a dot in the foggy sky.

    Mist shifted as her wings began to beat, pushing air behind her and aiding her speed, the Naer trying to leap into a running start and take into flight. Flying was still a great challenge, and she grit her teeth, continuing to struggle on, gaining a bit of momentum, and rising into the air. It was unsteady flight, hard to control and slower than she would have liked. Pushing her wings harder, they spurred her on and she lifted higher, gliding before going too high and following the orb as best she could.

    This next mission was going to be a challenge, but nobody ever said it was going to be easy.
Image
User avatar
Navyri
Nightingale
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 pm
Race: Lotharro
Profession: Thief
Renown: -84
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Medals: 8
Story of the Month (1) Reviewer's Choice (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1)
Pioneer (2) History Repeated (1) Lol Worthy (1)

Mixed Messengers

Postby Zana » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:58 am

There was very little that Zana enjoyed more than waking up. She curled her toes in delight at the feeling of the silky sheets against her skin and let out a low moan of pleasure at the comfort and warmth which surrounded her. Pointing her feet, she stretched in the bed and her lips lifted in a smile. Sitting up in bed, she let the covers fall from her and she stepped out of bed. As she walked towards the chair in front of her vanity, she examined herself in the mirror, as pleased as always with what she saw. Reaching out, she pulled her light shift dress off the chair, relishing the feeling of it on her otherwise naked skin.

Then, she sat down. The vanity where she prepared each morning was a shrine to her father, the mirrored altar to him as it had always been. "Good morning, Father." she said, ice blue eyes gazing into the mirror where she greeted him each morning. "I dedicate this trial to you, my father, as every one. In your name and for your pleasure." One perfectly manicured hand was lifting a lipstick to her lips when Zana realised that things were not entirely how they had been when she had fallen asleep.

Firstly, there had been a man. With a glance back to the bed, Zana dismissed that missing piece as unimportant. However, where the door was, or should have been, there was... something quite else. Delroth's daughter bristled slightly at that and she allowed herself only a quick brush of her hair and to pin it into a single braid, still careful to ensure that wisps of golden locks caressed her neck and shoulders. Then, she stood up to go and look.

"Oh, that does not look pleasant," Zana said and she examined the vista outside her... door? She did that, examined it with her gaze carefully and with attention to detail. For all that her nose wrinkled, she was keen to observe. The green floating insect like specks were of interest to her and she observed them for a moment or two.

Then, she turned around and collected up her throwing knives and the pistol crossbow Theo had bought her. Theo. That was the name of the man in her bed the night before. As her awareness of who she was and where she would normally be fell in on her, Zana realised that Theo not being here was odd, since it was his house and all. Ah well, she couldn't worry about him right now, there was nothing she could do and so she put him from her mind. Once she had her weapons, Zana almost regretfully pulled on a pair of sensible shoes, her thigh high black leather boots and she stepped outside.

Ugh. Nature.

Then, of all things, a strange little sphere-thing appeared in front of her, turned black and sprouted wings. Fluttering away, Zana saw that there were others. Unconcerned with her orb for the moment, she watched them as they ran and flew and generally went all out charging like well trained little circus animals after the flying orbs.

Not her. She was Zana Delroth and she did not chase.

She was chased.

So, she did what she would always do. She ignored the others, uncaring and unconcerned for them. They were those who chased and they were of no interest to her father. Therefore, they were beneath her concern in this endeavor. She stood where she was and she held out her hand. It would come back to her, that orb. It was a test by her father, she was sure - but it was not the test that these peons thought it was. Delroth knew that they would follow him, of course he did. What he needed to know now is which one of them would follow him for him, not themselves. Those who ran and flew around did so in pursuit of glory. To be seen. It was not theirs to be seen, it was his. "In Delroth's name, in his service." The mortalborn was entirely serious when she fully expected this to work. She put all her devotion to her father, all of her expectation into it. The orb was hers to have, it would come to her and the little green specks would help if needed. She was quite certain.



Our love is a bed of nails, love hurts good on a bed of nails.
I'll lay you down and when all else fails, drive you like a hammer on a bed of nails

User avatar
Zana
Trinket of Desire
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:12 pm
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Courtesan
Renown: +9
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Medals: 3
Supporter (1) Living Legend (1) Murderer (1)

Mixed Messengers

Postby Maltruism » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:30 am

Image

There was little to be gained by desperate pursuit of the orbs. It was quickly demonstrated that such an approach only made the given mortal look the fool. Navyri initially looked to have the advantage required to make short work of her chore. But after circling the same clump of tree trunks several times in pursuit, dizziness became an issue. The swirling of her inner ear led to a nasty impact when the orb suddenly shot for a small gap between two other trunks, to lure the morphed Naerikk into an ungainly crash from her off-balance trajectory.

While she had the flight speed to keep up, the orb had an unlimited supply of narrow gaps to essentially "scrape her off" its trail. There was a similar obstacle for the wolf spirit leading Nir'wei in pursuit of his orb. Though the entity was able to pass through remarkably narrow gaps, it did not find itself able to fly.

Tio learned fairly quickly that the best thing he could achieve at this point was to finish donning something a little more dignified. It would help to deal with others if he was to make of himself something other than a laughing stock. All the mortals were now aware that there were others drawn into this same scene.

It would not be unlikely that they might all be equally hesitant to interact with each other. Those that were under pressure to succeed would most likely assume that the others were as well, and would not wish to help rivals. Those that were not under pressure would probably be put off by the hurried, me-first attitudes of those that were.

Still, conversation was very likely; especially now that all seven orbs were lined up high above their heads on a single branch. None of those below had been able to successfully keep track of which had been "their" orb. At their height, the orbs all looked the same to the gathered mortals.

Two occurrences brought new information to the contestants below. The first was that when Robin's wind element dislodged the orb it had been pursuing, the entire clump of them moved with it, swirling and rotating to make it impossible to know which among them had been the "right" one. When the group of orbs was almost within reach, the orbs all suddenly dispersed, except one. Robin would have cause to think that his wind had been able to keep track. But once grouped this way, they'd all embodied the same identity to the elemental entity.

The one orb left in his hand seemed to bring an anti-climactic end to the chaos of moments earlier. But as the man looked the thing over more closely, he saw an image becoming clearer within the depths of the sphere itself. It was an image of a dinner plate with a small stack of gold coins sitting in the middle.

By this time, Tio had returned in something more suited to the situation. When he heard the Stark gentleman speak of "gold coins on a dinner plate?" as though it was inexplicably odd, he realized it was "his" orb. Regardless of what sort of attitude or level of eagerness he displayed as he approached, the orb shot from Robin's hand to take a circuitous route back to the high branch where all the others were now also shown to be.

The second learning experience was when Zana was seen to apparently have some sort of ability to draw her orb to her by beauty and charisma alone. While none would deny her attractiveness, there was something off-putting in the superior attitude she displayed, as the orb slowly floated to her hand. She did not even close her fingers over the thing, confident that it had been nothing more than her innate loveliness that had made the orb unable to resist the desire that all creatures would naturally have to be near her.

This scene changed abruptly when an image of a squirrel clarified within the orb...a squirrel with teeth...teeth that sank suddenly into Zana's unprotected pointer finger. Shock and pain brought a common ugliness to her face as she flung the orb away with a shriek, its path leading a small spray of blood. Tears of pain, anger and humiliation were quick to follow.

"It...it BIT me!" she cried in disbelief. The others were not paying that much attention to her lamentations though. Their focus was on the realization that there had now been revealed a way of being sure if one had found "their" orb. The hum of distant insects maintained a drone of sound as the mortals began scheming the means of acquiring their orbs.

The only one not doing so was Finn, who found himself heading ever closer to the swarm of insects, which seemed to be at a consistent distance from the group, no matter which direction you went. The bugs soon noticed his presence and started moving his way. They were all of that initial glowing green color. If he kept on his path he would be bitten, possibly multiple times. One can only wonder what will happen when a mortal is bitten by the critters of the Misty Miasma. One can also only wonder if the bugs were more interested in their initial position, or if they would choose to follow him.

 ! Maltruism wrote:
alright! An almost complete response. I honestly don't know how many of you know each other. I know of a few, but we can assume that everyone has seen everyone else by now. So any grudges or friendships can be fully brought into play.
So now you know that "your" orbs will deliberately elude you, while those not aligned to you, and are of no use to you, will be perfectly willing to let you get hold of them. But will they bite?
Davic, you have missed one round. If you miss another, I will have you giving up and returning to your room. If things go smoothly enough I may give you another round after that to take part. We don't want Faldrun growing angry with you.
User avatar
Maltruism
The standard against whom all others are judged.
Storyteller - Rank 4
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 pm
Race: Prophet
Profession: "Mastermind"
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Player Review
Personal Journal
Medals: 23
Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1) Painting With Words (1)
Dungeon Master (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Alpha Testing (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (2)
Scandalous (1) Puppet Master (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Storyteller (1) Holy Tax Accountant (1) Keyboard Monkey (1) King Kong (1)
Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

Mixed Messengers

Postby Tio Silver » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:07 am

Image



It was becoming immediately apparent that no amount of thoughtless chasing was going to get him nor any of the other people here their orbs. The black haired girl with wings (which looked unbelievably cool by the way) was tricked into crashing into a tree, the hippie looking dude with the pet wolf (also cool, but pretty scary) was just as powerless against the orb's flying ability as the rest of them were, and all Tio managed to achieve by running around in his pajamas (not at all cool) was to make himself look like an idiot.

No, it would take more than speed and maneuverability to catch these things, and by the way that the orbs didn't just fly away separately into the distance but instead stayed near to the group as a whole and just taunted them he suspected that he'd need to work with some, if not all, of the others somehow. It couldn't be a coincidence after all that there was an orb for each of the people here. Assuming that all of these people had been tasked to catch one of these orbs by Delroth like he had then it was technically possible for everyone to succeed.

Now that he knew he had enough time to do so, Tio headed back into his room and quickly changed out of his pajamas and into his regular clothing. In case the other people or some creature from the surrounding area became a problem he also tucked his combat knife and siren marbles into his inner jacket pocket, and hung his cutlass, pistol crossbow and bolts from his belt. Now satisfied that he didn't look quite so ridiculous, the Yludih headed back out into the patch of forest.

It seemed that he'd ended up missing something rather important whilst he was getting changed, because the sight that awaited him when he emerged was the group of orbs all hovering together just a little bit off the floor, all easily within reach. The moment that the lad covered in what looked like flecks of mud got near to them however they all dispersed save one, as as the boy looked into it he spoke of an image of gold coins on a dinner plate. Yes! That meant that orb must be his! No way could that image mean anything to anyone else but himself!

"Hey buddy, hold on to that orb! That image is meant for me!" He shouted, and ran over to him with an eager grin. But before he could reach him the orb shot out of the lad's hand and whizzed back up into the sky again, rejoining the group of other orbs.

"Oh bugger." He muttered loudly, slowing down to a halt underneath the tree branch the orbs floated atop of. Well at least he could now tell which of the orbs was his, and made sure to keep track of it amidst the other identical objects.

It was then that another strange occurrence came to pass. The pretty blonde girl, who'd been the only one among them to not make any sort of move except to raise her hand as if beckoning the orbs to come to her, actually succeeded in attracting one of them! One of the orbs that weren't his slowly floated down to her like an animal tentatively sniffing out a hand to stroke it, and then morphed its black coloured surface into the image of a squirrel which promptly bit her on the fingers and flew back off again. Tio couldn't help but stifle a laugh at her misfortune and deliberately faced away from her so that she wouldn't see the smirk on his face, but sobered up as he realized what he had just seen implied. Not only did each of these orbs seem to have an image relating to the person they were intended to, but the orbs didn't mind being held by or interacting with the people they weren't intended for!

"We can swap them!" He said aloud, the tone of realization clear in his voice. "The orbs only run away from the one they're intended for, so if each person can catch an orb that doesn't belong to them we can swap with each other for the correct ones!"

And if all of these people had been tasked to get an orb by Delroth like he had, he knew just how to get them to help him!

"Ten thousand gold nels to whoever catches my orb for me!" He declared. "My family's made an absolute fortune from our empire of restaurants. If you bring me my orb I'll see to it that you're well paid for your efforts."

A lie of course, he didn't have that kind of money even if he truly did intend to pay them. But none of them knew that, and by using the image that'd showed up on his orb to his advantage he might be able to convince them of his lie. Running around in pajamas had already made him look like an idiot after all, so why not play the kind of rich, spoiled idiot who would throw that kind of cash around without a care? If it helped his chances of getting his orb it'd be worth it.
Unable to post much (if anything) until the 21st.
User avatar
Tio Silver
Bad in all the Good Ways
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 am
Race: Yludih
Profession: Pirate Captain
Renown: +357
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters
Medals: 5
Story of the Month (1) Helper (1) Painting With Words (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Event Medal (1)

Mixed Messengers

Postby Nir'wei » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:21 am

Image
The orb was fast. Faster than he gave it credit for, and nimble too. It became rather obvious that no matter how he chased it, the thing could always fly out of arm's reach anyway, if it didn't dart through any one of several narrow gaps between stones or overturned trees. Like a hyperactive child, he just couldn't keep up, and soon enough he drew rein before the same tree as the others, where all seven orbs had lined themselves up of their own accord, floating on the same tree branch. This wasn't going to be as easy as just hunting down the orb, as he'd first thought... this was going to be a puzzle, a game of wits to be thought out strategically. The biggest problem wasn't the puzzle itself, he thought as he glanced left and right, but the other competitors. Perhaps he could find a way to work with the other members of the Thetros group, but he'd not seen anything to make it worth the trouble - and besides, this might just as soon be a test between the members of each group, to see who excelled above the others.

Annoying, to think some had already cracked it. One of them he thought he remembered from the room, though he didn't know his name - they'd never really gotten together at any point to share. He seemed to be whispering, and then the orb came to him. Was that it? Apparently not, because the orb was someone else's, and flung back to its rightful place. One of the women from the strange second group did the same thing, just stretching out her hand and beckoning an orb... but she was met with the same failure, though perhaps a little more violent. He stifled a bit of a laugh. Wait... that orb, had it just shown a squirrel, of all things?

"Greyhide, watch that orb. Don't take your eyes off it for a second. Archailist, watch the others and let me know the moment one of them does something to bring down an orb," he said to both spirits through their mental connection. He had three pairs of eyes to use, to watch everything that happened around him, and the next time someone made a grab for another orb, should it be his, he was going to position himself as close as possible to grab it when a squirrel next showed. He might not know how to bring his own orb down, but it seemed like he really didn't need to. All he had to do was wait for others to bring theirs down, and then catch his when they did all the work for him. After all, if his orb ran away constantly, but that girl could summon it just by fluttering her eyelashes... well, evidently, he was going to need someone else's help to bring it within reaching distance. "Awww, too bad," he said to her, chuckling. "Maybe you should try again."
User avatar
Nir'wei
Disney Princess-in-training
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:38 am
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Animal Handler of The Menagerie
Renown: +136
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 10
Story of the Month (1) Painting With Words (1) Mentor (1) Beta Bot (1)
One Arc Later... (1) Right In The Feels (2) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

Next

Return to Misty Miasma