Destiny, or as it's otherwise known, Luck

Nir'wei and Uiyaejn dream together.

14th of Saun 716

Here are all threads from before the Fall of Emea in 719 and all threads pertaining to the Fall. As of Ymiden 719 (1st June 2019), this forum is locked for new threads and is a repository for old content.

Moderator: Staff

Nir'wei
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Councillor of Natural Affairs
Renown: 897
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

14th of Saun, 716.

Above and all around Nir'wei, there was nothing. Blue sky unblemished by clouds, a hot white sun hanging high in the sky directly in front of him, bathing his body in intense heat that would have boiled any other man, yet only filled his own with a pleasant tingling the likes of which he never wanted to lose. Wind buffered his face, a cool yet dry breeze that brushed strands of hair from his face and brought it whipping down against the backs of his shoulderblades. For as far as his eyes could see there was nothing but sky and horizon... it was only until he looked down, could he see a familiar coast surrounded by dark blue waters.

He was flying high above Rynmere. There was no mistaking the shape, even from such a radical new angle. As the Jacadon between his legs bent wing and swooped lower, he could even make out its capital, Andaris. Strange, how although he couldn't make out the individual people from such a great height, the specks seemed to almost merge together into a blur of activity running through the tiny streets, like blood through branching capillaries. From so high, it was so easy to forget about the individual niggling problems that could pop up here and there... and just sit back and enjoy the general life-force of such a bustling city. Not even a city, an empire. Further back, along the rest of the island, he could make out the distant blotches of the other regions and their respective forts. Although he couldn't pick out the forests individually through any known landmarks, their relative geography meant he could tell which was which as they dipped lower still, swooping down almost until he swore the Jacadon was going to land... and then, at the last moment, it pulled back up again and with a sparse few wing-beats they were ascending again, back into the heavens.

He wasn't actually controlling the Jacadon - which was admittedly comparable to a great bear in size, if not larger - he was just along for the ride, watching as they dipped and climbed with the changing slipstreams and currents high in the air. Watching the islands and oceans pass along by underneath, blotches of green and brown breaking up the endless cycles of sky- and ocean-blue. There was definitely a destination in mind, though - the air was becoming hotter, trees and forests more sparse, green replaced over time with... yellow sand. Nir'wei tried to lean over a little farther and get a closer look. Then the Jacadon tipped over. It wasn't just a regular tip this time, he could feel the beast rolling over upside-down and his grip around its sinuous neck faltering. Then he was falling.

And a trill later, he landed. Wait, they'd not been that close to the ground, surely?

Where was he, anyway? When he turned back to search for the Jacadon, there wasn't any sign of it in the empty sky. As if it'd never existed. Instead of open sky and ocean, there was nothing but bleached sand. Were these the Hotlands he'd heard so much about?
word count: 541
We return to where we started, and pass onwards into history.
Uiyaejn
Approved Character
Profession: Healer
Renown: 42
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Desolate in the centre of the desert Uiyaejn looked up to the moon, her hands lifting to the sky as she embraced the blue skies with contemplative appreciation and starred longingly at the moon. With each passing moment the planets shifted and the sand rose to sky, shifting in spiralled fissures into the space.

Boom, boom, boom.

The drums of thunder coursed through the ground and from beneath the surface a large palace of buildings emerged from beneath the surface... and with it a creature. Majestic and beautiful with wings that spread across the sky like a bat the little healer watched with awe as it lowered itself to the ground. With teeth sharper than a carved tusk and hungry looking eyes. Filled with childish excitement the barefooted and fragile looking healer slowly edged towards it in the hope of discovering the nature of such a thing.

Silence.

Everything had changed.

Almost like the echo of a ghost the creature disappeared before her eyes and what she reached out to touch, was the back of a man. A man of her own kind. Shocked, her eyes drifted to the ancient white tower... thing that grew behind him. There was no doubt that this was a place she had never seen before and she was uncertain of what to make of it.

This man, she wondered if he knew of her presence. She could not tell.

"Are you the creature, stranger?"
word count: 240
Nir'wei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Nir'wei was trying to get a good bearing of his surroundings when a faint breeze touched his shoulder and a voice spoke. He didn't turn around immediately. "You know that's a rather rude thing to say." He'd never been called creature before, although he suspected he looked bad enough to pass for one. Greasy and unbrushed hair, dirty skin wrapped in clothes marginally above the sacks that regular beggar-folk wore. Even in his dreams he looked positively unloved, but then again, he'd never really known what it meant to wash regularly and pay proper attention to personal hygiene and appearance. Still, that was hardly an excuse for the outburst. "Don't they teach you proper manners on this side of the world, hmm?" Speaking of which, where exactly was that side?

Speaking of speaking, he quickly noticed something else. "Oh. You speak Xanthean." Realistically, that meant one thing, and he quickly turned around to prove his point. A Sev'ryn. Granted, very different from him. Her skin was unmistakeably darker, like olive... her clothes seemed much finer, more elegant, but then again so was everyone else's.

Nir'wei straightened his spine and pushed his shoulders back, trying to stand a little more firmly on the shifting sand as it drifted into the air in little spirals that quickly became difficult to pull his attention from. "I'm Nir'wei. From Rynmere." Did she even know of such a place?

"She can't know of Rynmere," Archailist answered his thoughts internally. "She didn't know what the Jacadon was." Well, this was news. He'd never known that his familiar could drop in unexpectedly like this. "I can." He'd never done it before, in all the many seasons that he'd grown to know and occasionally love the squirrel-spirit. "None of them were ever as interesting as this one." Just as he thought to tell the squirrel to materialize already so that he at least had somewhere to focus rather than throwing his thoughts to the air blindly and hoping he caught them, the translucent squirrel popped into existence hovering in the air just a few inches in front of his left shoulder. "Now, where were we?"

The damn spirit's distractions had turned into a long, awkward pause. He suddenly realized he'd been staring endlessly into space at some point over the girl's shoulder, blank-eyed while he mentally communicated with the familiar. Very awkward indeed. "So, uhm. Where are we?" he abruptly asked, as if trying to spur the conversation along in some meaningful direction, instead of covering his own bumbling errors.
Last edited by Nir'wei on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 444
Uiyaejn
Approved Character
Profession: Healer
Renown: 42
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Almost like water hethat quenched the fires of her curiosity, Uiyaejn delicately withdrew her hand from the stranger as she watched him with a understanding and sorrow filled smile, she ignored most of the barbed comments. "Re-in-myar," she tried to echo in the word in the soft, exotic tone of her voice that had been altered after all of her time in Nashaki. "Renmir," she tried and for whatever reason was still not getting it right "I, No. I don't. Was that the dream city with white walls and flying beasts? Is that where you nest?"

Excitement entered the dark blue of her eyes and she closed the space between herself and Nir'wei, her fingers lifting onto his face with avid curiosity for what he was. He looked like her, but how? He was from Renmir, the white tree stone of the skies. Back and forth he spoke to the air, just like she did with Ileyn! And soon enough, the image of little floating squirrel hovered in the air "Hello little guy!" she exclaimed, even happier to see a forest friend after all this time "It has been long since I saw one of you." Uiyaejn extended her hand to pat the squirrels fur and was sad when it flinched away from her.

"Where would you like to be?" she asked, her eyes fixated on the squirrel "Because that is where your heart is." There was something odd about the creature and a strange sense of familiarity between it and the great beast, was this its familiar? Uiyaejn's eyes lifted onto Nir'wei. Could these Jac-cou-dwan have familiars too?

For her, to know of another's familiar was almost to know their own soul. She knew dreams were strange things, but why would a familiar show itself? "You're dreaming Uiyaejn," Ileyn's pure crystal voice echoed across the expanse.

"Yes," she laughed, "This is but a dream."
word count: 326
Nir'wei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

His eyes narrowed slightly. "Rynmere," Nir'wei repeated, a little slower. Granted his grasp on the name wasn't really much better than most of the common folk, given his time in Desnind - and the name itself didn't lend very well to the Xanthean language at all - but her pronounciation was distinctly off-tone regardless. "It's not a dream city, it's a real city, in the north... I live there, I don't roost there." One hand reached up and brushed some strands of hair away from his face so he could at least try to meet the girl in the eyes. "I told you, I'm not a creature." That didn't seem to be enough, the way she seemed so intent to touch his face, so curious, it was like she didn't even recognize a member of her own race. Maybe she was a half-blood with more Sev'ryn in her than anything else, never accustomed to seeing a full-blood member?

He glanced to Arch and threw him a prompt for his opinion, but the squirrel just shrugged its shoulders internally. "If I had an explanation, you can be sure I'd tell you." If he had an explanation, they'd both know about it at the same time. One of the small joys of their join.

That was when everything got even weirder. It'd taken some getting used to, but Arch never appeared for others. It wasn't because he didn't want to, just a natural thing that apparently happened to all familiars connected with Sev'ryn. There wasn't even a logical explanation, it just happened because it happened and everyone was expected to move along and accept it for what it was in its own right. Sure, it was weird, walking through the street with a squirrel on his shoulder and never being given odd looks and questions, but over time, he'd adjusted. But this girl, not only did she look straight at the floating translucent rodent, she talked to him. For some reason Arch seemed slightly less surprised but still pulled back when she took it a little too far and tried to touch his small body, but that still really didn't make any good deal of sense.

"Uhh." Nir'wei felt disoriented, but, who wouldn't when someone started believing that everything around them was nothing more than a dream - something that he often believed only crazy, deluded or simply barmy people believed as a way to separate themselves from their problems. Something seemed wrong with that assumption, though. She didn't look, nor act crazy, despite her delusion. Better to not think about things. "Guess I'd better just introduce him. To be honest I have no idea how you know about him, how you can see him or think you can touch him, but, uhh. This is Archailist, my familiar," Nir'wei said, gesturing to the hovering squirrel that briefly bowed its head. "My heart is, I hope, lodged safely inside my chest and instead of disappearing inside myself, I'd prefer to know what we're doing in the middle of the desert... and why you're here." This was just all far too confusing to grasp inside a few bits, he needed... he needed a moment to calm himself.

"Not happening," Arch interjected, just before a shadow grew behind him and a large pair of familiar, leathery wings wrapped around both of them, for just a brief moment plunging them both into darkness. When the wings opened, they were in a very familiar place to Nir'wei; the Skye Verath Lodge. Well, she'd said to go where the heart desired. Even if he'd not really intended to come here, this was where his heart lay. A field of grass, large stables filled with Volareon and barns with Jacadon, houses and open areas for the training and healing of animals; even a house for the owners of the Lodge to sleep. The air was gentle and warm in the air with a faint cool breeze passing through occasionally; the stables were mostly empty, with their only company being the giant Jacadon responsible for their arrival.

A long pause stretched out. "... Alright, uhm. This is Jachar." He pointed up at the all-too-familiar Jacadon, who exhaled a small cloud of warm vapour from its nostrils and glared down with one large yellow-ish eye. "Don't know why he's brought us here, but, we're here now. My home. Well, the closest thing to it, really." He gestured around to the Lodge, turned back to see the girl's reaction... but she wasn't there. He glanced around Jachar's wing, but no, not there either. "Did you bring her here with us?" The corners of its mouth turned up into what almost looked like a cheeky smirk - something very un-Jacadon-like. "Oh." It seemed that just like that, the brief brush between them had broken away again, separating their worlds. Nir'wei frowned, but soon went back to doing what he did best; climbing back onto Jachar's back and taking to the skies once more.
word count: 871
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Nir'wei

Points!:

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 5/ 5
Structure: 5/ 5
Knowledge:

In dreams, Jacadons mostly fly themselves. Handy that!
Archalist: Pops up in the most unusual places

Story A lot of beautiful imagery in here ~ well written and quirky, just like dreams should be!
Structure No issues all good.
Uiyaejn

Points!:

Story: 2/5
Collaboration: 3/ 5 (2 x posts)
Structure: 4/ 5
Knowledge:

In dreams, buildings and beings behave most oddly.

Story I have taken three points from story for you. One because of the very limited amount of writing here, and a further two points off story for you, because you very clearly simply "know" this is a dream, which is not what should be happening in Emea ~ a pc does not know they are dreaming and you must be careful not to do that in future threads, please. Other than that, Uiyaejn is a fascinating pc who you write well. I loved how she dealt with the Jacadon and the pronounciation of Rynmere - very well written!
Structure There were a few proof reading errors which, considering the limited posts and words (just over 500 words), did detract from the overall story and were enough to pull me out of what I was reading. Examples include: "Almost like water hethat quenched", "and starred longingly at the moon"

Overview:

General comments.
Shame this so obviously was finished early - looked like it could have been a fascinating thread. Well done on finishing it coherently, though. Good work!

Please do PM me if you think I've missed anything or you have any questions!
word count: 265
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “The Fall & Before”