All Our Fears, All Our Vices

33rd of Ymiden 718

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Alistair
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: 1000
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

All Our Fears, All Our Vices

33rd of Ymiden, Arc 718

"I woke up freezing. I -- I've never felt the way I did. It was wrong. Different; not the same chill as in the depth of Cylus, clung to the quilt. It lived inside of me, not letting go. It was like the frost was growing in my blood."

"Alistair . . . that's okay," the Lich whispered, softly. "You're changing. Strengths - weaknesses. They all mix together. The evolution of the spark is not a true evolution - in some ways, you will decline. The way it manifests upon your body can be equally benign and horrific; you are, clearly, no longer fit for the extremity of the winter frost," he explained. The two of them held a Sundial together, the full length exchanged between their grasp. Alistair laid it upon the floor, gently, as Damien examined the dial and checked for scratches and markings in wrongful locations.

The mage straightened the object, and flattened it against the ground. In the wake of his fear, and great discomfort, the two of them had determined to rebuild his destitute Uthaldrian dial here in Viden - so that he could, at any point, escape the frost.

"It's not even winter. It's Ymiden," he stated, his lips broken into a small scowl - in his own way, he was complaining, simply by pointing out the objective truth. Alistair had found himself, lately, complaining about nearly everything. Life had brought him joy less and less often.

"Is the well properly imbued?" Damien asked, shifting the conversation.

"Yes," he responded. "We just... need to attach the higher scope to the lower bit, and then reattach the flat head of the dial to the higher scope." As he explained it, he acted - the magister brought the two pieces together, twisting and tightening the upper length of the pole and connecting the height of the object to the easily melded pieces. When the two pieces of the pole met, he screwed in a twisting knob to keep them securely connected, and then lowered and spun the head around the object.

Testing the dial with another spin, the room was lit with the scratching sound of a dial slowly shifting to its intended point. As his test was demonstrated to be adequate, it appeared that their Videnese dial was - successfully - functional.

"Do you want to leave, now?" Damien asked.

"No," he responded. "I came here for the Seekers. I won't leave until they know that I'm here - and that I want to see them. I remember the presence they had here; I was once a part of them. Viden, Rynmere . . . they were great bastions in the north. That's changed, but not wholly. With the Videnese Seekers, the presence of my people still remains. That must be maintained."

Alistair was intent on his beliefs. Ideology was all that sustained him, after everything that had befallen his kindred, his dreams. In many ways, he had more reason to be here than Rynmere. The mage wanted only to protect, and secure, what had not yet fallen. The growth of mage-hunting as an international revelry needed to be stifled. He was the agent of that ambition.

Once the dial was built, however, he found himself not wanting too greatly to spend time with the deathless mage. Alistair left the Devil's Advocate - left that corner of the city entirely, wandering the hallways, until he came upon a small and apparently nameless eatery that compelled him with the scent of its interior. Warm, well-cooked meats within. Protein, and sustenance. He supposed food was enough to occupy his time. The Seekers weren't going to simply lunge at him, not without knowing of him. Observing.

He only needed to find a way for them to find him.
word count: 631

Return to “City of Viden”