• Solo • Behind Closed Doors

Virikai plots to keep the escaped test subject a secret...

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Race: Eídisi
Profession: Researcher/Student
Renown: 154
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Behind Closed Doors

11th Day of Cylus
718th Arc

No. We need to find him and capture him. This is now a top priority.” Annelies Layne, Virikai’s supervisor at the Facility of Retrospective Analysis dragged a hand through her hair. She looked far more stressed than the young lordling had ever seen her. “You have recently started working with your father - I am not asking you to do this as a Researcher - your influence, and that of your father’s, in Viden will be required to limit the fallout.

Virikai nodded his understanding. A test subject had escaped from the facility - something that had never happened before in Viden. For the first time ever, Viden’s best kept secret was at risk of being compromised. It could have far reaching consequences for not only the city, but for the rest of Idalos. None of them knew how the world would respond, but Virikai doubted it would be good. “He will be contained.

I’m not asking you to contain him, Virikai. I need to to manage public relations on this. We need a cover story, something to mitigate the damage. The Intelligence Authority are responsible for returning him to our care.” Annelies paused with a sigh. The senior researcher was only half-eídisi: an exceedingly rare employee in the Facility, but she had earned it. the one issue was that she was far too in touch with her human side. Occasionally, her empathy got the better of her. “You must remember that this subject was bor here in the Facility. He has never known anything but these walls. Outside… he is a risk not only to others, but to himself. There’s no telling what he will do.

Fighting the urge to roll his eyes, the Talius scion nodded his head minutely. “I will speak to my father. This… unfortunate incident will not negatively affect the city. I have no doubt that my father will have some plans already lined up for this very moment. He’s always prepared.” Truth be told, he had no desire to speak with Verity Talius, especially after their relationship seemed to be deteriorating more and more with each passing day. But… duty called and he would not pass up the opportunity to show his worth.

Good.” All business again, the moment of weakness had passed. “Check in with me again tomorrow. I’ll need to pass on the Directorate’s plans to the rest of the Facility. Immortals, why did we never think to have a liaison before? I suppose we never needed to even consider it in the past… maybe this is a clear indication that we do need someone…” Virikai agreed. Selfishly, he also thought that he was perfectly placed to carry out such a role. He doubted his father would agree though, so he would not be suggesting the idea himself. “You are dismissed.” Inclining his head, the scion left his supervisor’s office. His shift at the facility was not over, but this far far more pressing. He needed to find his father.
word count: 512
Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Behind Closed Doors

It was a distinctly interesting sensation to be both a psychopath and a Xyph. A dichotomy, almost, for the thoughts of the average person were intrinsically linked to said person’s emotional state. Subtle emotions, of course, could be easily overlooked, and even Verity Talius, in all his skill in the mind arts, could miss them… or he could ignore them. But the more powerful emotions, such as hate, fear, anger or grief, would inevitably be linked to some memories. Even love, though he was loathe to admit it, was something that could not be ignored.

It was the sad curse of a powerful Xyph that some form of magical empathy came part and parcel with the ability to read minds. The fortunate side of this, the Delegate had been quick to discover during his formative years of learning the art, was that he could use these emotions, and channel them much like he would energy. With them, he could influence the minds of those he targeted, and he could do so without any of his quarries ever being the aware. Unless he wanted them to be, of course.

It was infinitely easier with the races he was more familiar with, however. Humans, eídisi and ellune and their half-breed offspring would always be the easiest to understand and manipulate. Anything else could occasionally bring Verity up short, and it was for this very reason that he was glad of his son’s tasked work to develop an appropriate cover story for he escaped subject from the Facility of Retrospective Analysis.

They had been working tirelessly for three bells to come up with an appropriate solution, something believable, but that would not shake the city too substantially. “He cannot come from outside of Viden. The Bay is iced over and the Portals are guarded through all breaks of the day; no one could ever get through them. Use your head, Virikai.

The heir scowled but did not look up from the parchment, which was currently filled with ideas. “Of course, father. I am not suggesting that. I say we fabricate a death. A murder. From a visitor, yes, but this person had already been in the city for some time, we can say.” The student leaned back, twirling the reservoir pen as he tried to formulate the plan properly in his mind. “You are powerful in the Mind Arts, yes? Yvithia’s Champion. I propose we use this to our advantage. We fabricate memories, not just a story. The general population will create their own rumour. We do not have to announce anything to the public before their own stories start spreading.

Verity, who had been lifting a drink to his lips, paused. Virikai did not even realise he had been holding his breath until Verity smiled and nodded his agreement. “Well done, Virikai. This might work.
word count: 478
Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Behind Closed Doors

The Intelligence Authority can be used to support you in this,” Virikai continued with renewed enthusiasm when he realised his father was not going to attack his ideas like he so frequently did nowadays. “A number of them are Xyphs too, also powerful enough to do so. They do not need to know about the Facility if they do not already, only that you, as a Delegate, need them to carry out this task.” The Intelligence Authority was loyal to Viden and Yvithia to the end - there was no concern of their lack of obedience when it came to Verity Talius’ orders.

The Champion nodded slowly as he placed his cup down on the table and stood, starting to pace as he often did when thinking though a plan. “And you expect that this… manipulation with Xypha will be enough, do you? I do not doubt the gifts our Lady Yvithia has gifted us, but to install such a powerful fabricate memory in people’s minds is no simple feat.” Virikai shook his head, now smiling. He continued with his idea, claiming that there would be enough corpses in the infirmary for them to use as a genuine body - proof. “Or, if you feel it necessary, we can… create something more realistic?

It was clear what the Talius scion meant by that. They had had enough discussions about morality and the subjectivity of that for both of them to be on the same page without spelling it out for the other. For the good of Viden, for the good of the many, a few may have to suffer. Collateral damage was not something Virikai would shy away from. “However I think taking a corpse and using that will be enough. I hear another foreign student recently succumbed to hypothermia after ignoring our laws on intoxication again. A young, promising student, a visitor to the city… murdered. How horrifying.

We doctor injuries, and allow others to stumble upon it. The Intelligence Authority examines it and carries out their investigation as normal. While they question the ‘witnesses’, they use Xypha to fabricate these memories into the minds of the witnesses. They saw it all. It is so rare in Viden.. they will hardly believe it, but the body will remove any doubt people may have. From there.. hysteria takes over. The next day, we make an announcement to the city. There is a murderer.” Verity hummed his agreement as he paused in his pacing by the window and pulled the colourless chiffon curtain to look out and down upon the city.

We say his is dangerous, and unhinged. If anyone does speak to him, this lie will make it so that they do not believe him.” The explanation stopped as Virikai also got to his feet and approached his father. He needed a moment to remember what the point of this was. It had nothing to do with actual danger or risk to the lives of the Videnese population. The escapee was not the type, Virikai believed, after having read the reports. He was skittish and probably frightened, but not actually dangerous. “We say he is not to be approached, but the Intelligence Authority will be dispatched at any reports of sightings. He will be caught within trials.

This may just work, Virikai.” There was a flicker of embarrassment and a flush of colour across the younger man’s face as he realised how the warmth spread at hearing his father’s praise. But the young lordling managed to nod, not trusting himself to speak. The Delegate smirked (nothing got past him, especially concerning his son). “You’ve done well. Let’s hope you are right, and we do apprehend him before any real damage can be done.
word count: 626
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Behind Closed Doors

Virikai

Overview

A psychopath and a blessed of Yvithia - yes... yes, that is a conundrum. What an interesting thread, well written and Kai just gives me the chills. He's so very cold, so very calculating. Lovely writing - enjoy the rewards and PM me if I missed anything!

XP: 10

Renown: 5 (increased among the FRA)

Loot

Nope

Knowledge

Leadership: Making Hard Decisions
Leadership: Working with Others' Skills
Politics: Doing the Dirty Work
Politics: Fabricating the Truth
Politics: Lying to the People of Viden
Politics: Protecting the Greater Good of Viden

FRA: Escaped Subject