January 2018 Reviewer's Choice...!

Recognizing those who strive to help players, fix problems, and ultimately, ensure a fun environment for all roleplayers.

Postby Anomaly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 pm

January 2018 Reviewer's Choice: Navyri

Please join us in congratulating Navyri for being January's Reviewer's Choice!

Navyri is a character that has had to jump through many hurdles and undergone several more or less visible changes in recent times, always entertaining players and moderators alike with her consistency as a character and her ability as a writer. The character's been with us for the past six months and have made an impact in the game already that can be measured, and for these reasons the Reviewers have chosen to recognize her as the Reviewer's Choice this time around to give her the spotlight she deserves!

Here's what a couple of our reviewers had to say, and then check out her interview below!

"I still consider her submission for the mark of Delroth to be the best I read. And since then she has submitted nothing that wasn't top-notch, both in character and scenic portrayal. I have always been immediately able to get into the mood and environment, and found the NPCs filling out the scenes to be believable in their variety and consistent behavior. Nary a cookie-cutter bundle among them."

"Well, in addition to her outstanding mark story at Character Creation, Navyri has continued to develop into a singular character, with combinations of specialties unlike any other. Volatile and confident, she scares me even more than Noth. And of course, her finish on round 2 of the global blew me away."

1. Start with a bit of history: How did you get started with forum roleplaying, and what kept you hooked?

I actually have loved writing since I was about… 10 or so, really diving into it by writing stories in little notebooks and letting my best friend read them. I think the closest I came to roleplaying in middle school involved something similar, where a group of friends would write a bit in a spiral bound notebook and, because we were in different classes, pass it between each other in the hallways. We’d scribble out replies and repeat this process. It wasn’t until I was starting high school and around age fourteen when I discovered avatar based forums (Gaia Online, specifically). While not rp centric, they did have a section for it. I was probably poking around the site, got curious and after lurking in a bunch of threads, realized what it was. A place to collaboratively write stories? Count me in!

I watched for a while, learning how to apply and make an app, saw what kind of stories were popular, and finally joined one. My first character ever was a human male named Gabriel, in a vampire heavy setting. I was garbage, but I had so much fun that I branched and looked elsewhere on the internet. Over the years, I’ve been to so many different places and tried so many genres and comfort levels.Truthfully, what’s kept me around so long has been the people I’ve met and worked alongside. Writing and art are my two consistent passions, and I’m so blessed to be able to continue them both as I’ve grown up over the years. I’m now twenty-three, and not planning on stopping anytime soon.

2. Now, tell us a little bit about Navyri, for those who haven't kept up with her activities. What's your inspiration for the character?

Her inspiration? Hahahaha. Catwoman. There’s *definitely* a dash of Harley Quinn crazy in there somewhere, but I remember watching this animated short and picturing Navyri. In fact, it was one of the reasons I gave her a bullwhip in her starting package. Now, as for what she’s been up to… Navyri’s story and whole concept is fairly straightforward - Born in Augiery, survival was stressed and she began her training as a regular Naerikk. It wasn’t until she was fifteen or so that her father - a Biqaj - kidnapped her on his sloop. In her panic, she unleashed her Gift of Shadows and killed him. Not raised on the sea, she was helpless for trials, eventually beginning to die. Long story short, she strikes a deal with Delroth, agreeing to fetch him whatever he wants, whenever he wants until her debt is paid. The winds take her boat to safety, she lives, and has since been on her own.

Travelling to Desnind, she stayed there for awhile until she found a group of sailors to travel alongside, and has been to Scalvoris, Rynmere, Rharne Etzos, and Ne’haer over the arcs. She moves around a lot, to avoid bounties, and because she hasn’t found a place to settle down.

3. The Naerikk are one of the less represented races in the game. What draws you to them, in particular?

Honestly, I was a little weary playing them. I was afraid people would look at Navyri and assume she was some man hating diva. I know some people tend to stay away from gender locked races, but I really don’t mind them. Racially, I think the Naer’s Gift of Shadows is very cool, but the duality of a Naer’s illusion (their ‘human skin’) and the terrifying shadow monster underneath are reminiscent of different horror stories I read growing up, and provides some interesting plot potential. Is my character as bad as the Naer of ST legends? Is she something a bit softer?

The temporary status of their tattoos also intrigued me once it was written, and since Navyri won’t be able to go home to have them renewed, it could lead to a couple fun challenges. Plus, a Naer fit this concept of a strong female character I wanted to write and who will inevitably face challenges - someone who doesn’t apologize or sit like a wallflower. She gets shit done. She’s not going to be “woe is me”, ya know? I thought playing a hated race would amplify this feeling of isolation she must feel away from her people, and the one of the few places she might be accepted. She's been hardened, but each time a situation has proved dire, someone or something always comes along and renews her self worth. It’s proven to be a fun concept to write out.

4. Navyri's found herself in some very sticky situations of late. Did you ever imagine she'd end up where she is now?

Noooo. I knew she’d get in trouble every now and then (I do write her, after all), but not to the extent of what has happened. Joining a criminal organization? Psh. Child’s play. Having a bounty hunter after you? Say no more. Unleashing an undiscovered immortal that may or may not want to take her mortal soul? Eeeeeh - can’t say I saw that one coming. And I’m sure the party doesn’t stop there. Not to mention Delroth’s a greedy boi, so I’m sure we’ll see more adventure soon enough.

5. Did Navyri have any hopes, goals or dreams? Have any of them survived her recent ordeals?

About twenty of so years ago, I imagine she would have had hopes of returning to Augiery. Now, she’s pretty much written that off, and will secretly mourn that loss. In order to deal with this fate, she’s made the best of her situation, embracing her current livelihood. She’s the type of person who always strives to do her best in almost everything she does, so her goals and dreams mostly revolve around materialistic and monetary value.

She *says* she wants to get out of Delroth’s debt, but I don’t think that’ll happen. She enjoys the thief life a little too much, and it’s a game to her to find the prettiest, most valuable stuff and decide what she’ll include in an offering. Basically, one of the main things I decided to do with her as a character, is take a portion of her earnings and some of the best stuff she’s stolen, and periodically go out and make a shrine to Delroth. Just a habit she’s probably had since childhood to hopefully appease him. As her skills grow over the years, so should the treasure, and while she thinks it might slowly chip away at her debt, I’m convinced it will only make Delroth want more. After all, each year she’s proving to be more and more profitable, why would he want to give that up?

6. Who do you think has had the greatest impact on Navyri as a character, throughout the time you've played her? Why?

PC or NPC?

Djinn, Delroth, Curio, Noth, Belaera, Warren.

Since I haven’t touched base on Curio, or Belaera, I’ll do so here. Everyone else I’ve mentioned elsewhere in this interview and we don’t want their heads getting too big now, do we?

Curio - I suppose you could technically pair him with Delroth, as the familiar is a piece of Delroth himself. He is a white barred owl (see my CS relationship for a pic), and has become Navyri’s first and only friend. She coos over him, sings to him, and works with him. He’s her eyes in the sky and constant companion, for about… 38 arcs. In fact, I would say he’s probably one of the few creatures she trusts and loves, although she isn’t fully aware of Curio being tied to Delroth in that way. She is suspicious though, paranoid every bird (Curio included) are spies for the Immortal, and can be used to keep tabs on her.

Belaera - I can’t comment on this relationship too much, but… This androgynous immortal will probably be Navyri’s downfall. Can’t wait. If you’re like, “Who the f- is Bae-leara”, then I’d recommend giving The Price of Currying Favor a read. Lots of intriguing stuff and you can learn about a powerful being that had been self imprisoned for arcs and arcs.

7. Consider where Navyri is now: Would you, if given the opportunity, have gone back to do anything differently? Do you have any regrets regarding her development as a character?

Absolutely not. I love Navyri and who she is. She’s vibrant and mischievous, cunning and cruel. Her moral code is situational and I love how determined she is to come out on top. Had Navyri not made the mistakes of her past, she truly wouldn’t be who she is today. People were surprised I would enter quests that risked her life and sanity, but that wasn’t just what I wanted - it’s what Navyri would do. She’s learned so much about herself and of life in general, it’s been a blast to write. I feel like I’ve written her as honestly as I could’ve and that’s all I really want.

8. If Audrae would come to Navyri to welcome her back into the fold, say, tomorrow: what would Navyri be prepared to sacrifice for her Shadow Mother? Or would she turn her back on Audrae?

Hahaha. Asking the tough questions. Honestly… I can’t answer that question confidently. I know Navyri would not turn her back on Audrae, but she definitely wouldn’t want to see her. She feels ashamed and frustrated that circumstance forced her to seek another and while it wasn’t her fault she left Augiery, Navyri has come to terms with her decision to side with Delroth by learning to enjoy his service.

By everything she’s heard and known, straying from Audrae will lead her to her misery. Since it’s too late now, all Navyri can do is try to remain unnoticed, and avoid her shadow mother, as much as it grieves her to do so. Without Audrae’s blessing, she will never return home, nor see her family again. And by her most recent run in with Belaera… well, Navyri isn’t sure she wants to make many more sacrifices in the near future.

9. If Navyri were to get romantically involved with an Immortal, which one do you think it'd be?

Are you asking me, the creator of the #DaddyDelroth fanclub, who Navyri would romantically get involved with? Lmao

Honestly, the Immortal of Greed has a decent shot, but I think a handful of them do. Delroth is my number one choice, as Navyri actually knows of his existence and has seen him once or twice. She finds him… attractive, although I’m not sure how often she’s admitted it. I don’t think anything major would come from it - as in, she wouldn’t be trying to put a ring on it. After everything she’s learned from Garizma and her own personal experience, Navyri knows it’s not easy to keep Delroth’s favor, as he moves on from one shiny thing to the next, especially if something (or someone) proves to be more valuable. She’s doing her best (and I think she’s doing a pretty good job tbh), but it would really be up to him. Navyri is drawn to power so I think most have a decent shot of at least garnering her attention/approve.

I could really see her fooling around with a number of them. It would just depend on what day they caught her on, and if they could/would tolerate her. A list of other Immortals she miiight like:

Cassion
Faldrun
Mastes
U’frek
Vri
Ziell

While I recognize Zanik could easily seduce Navyri, I have little interest in him OOC. Imagine the diseases… Immortal or otherwise, I think finding anyone who could convince Navyri to settle down long term would be… unlikely. She just wants to do hoodrat stuff with her friends.

10. Has there ever been a time when you and Navyri have disagreed? Where you as the writer and her, the character, have wanted different things?

Of course. I think characters always have aspects of our own personalities (to an point) but if they are spitting images of you… it’s a little dull. Navyri is complex, and much more ruthless than I am. She’s also intense, so she takes things to the nth degree, refusing to back down from a challenge if its one she truly believes she can conquer it. She doesn’t fight for the sake of fighting, but is possessive of what she’s worked for, and doesn’t take lightly to people judging her for choices they would be too weak to make. She believes in survival, first and foremost, and loyalty takes a long time or hard proof to draw from her. I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but if you hurt her, she’s obsessing over it. I didn’t agree when she barged into Warren’s room and just attacked him, nor when she left him to die in the forest after they escaped an underground fighting ring. But hey, such is life.

11. As a writer, do you prefer to have a plan or do you tend to go with the flow?

I think planning has its perks, but on a thread to thread basis, I like letting my PC take the lead. I always have OOC goals, but very rarely will Navyri (or any of them) go at my pace or in the direction I’m wanting. For instance, I like the idea of Warren and Navyri having a thing, but with that being said, she’s gotten along a lot better with plenty of other characters. Who’s to say she won’t gravitate towards someone a little closer to her moral code?

12. Do you have a process for when you write? Music, mood lighting, that sort of thing!

I turn on Youtube and type in a song I like. Really depends on the type of thread I’m going for, so it varies. I can also watch instructional videos to help move along certain scenes, like fighting or dancing. If its a skill, I or my PC doesn’t know, I’ll often do a chunk of fun research. My favorite writing sessions usually involve a teacup filled with hot cocoa and a small snack, like popcorn or something.

13. The Reviewers chose you for your outstanding storytelling and writing and the overall quality of your threads: Here's your chance to give a shoutout to players, characters or storytellers who've enriched your writing experience on the site and helped make Navyri's journey one to be remembered!

I would like to thank everyone at the Academy, and-

Oh, wrong award… Well, I suppose I could still throw a shout out to Djinn, as he is one of the reasons Navyri is here, and has been invested in her story since the beginning. In fact, at the time I was inspired to start her CS, I don’t believe anyone had applied for Tarouz, nor had Delroth been used IC. Personally, I thought he sounded awesome and had to jump on that train. I was really intimidated, never having requested a blessing or written an immortal, and was having a hard time thinking of a way to garner one’s interest and keeping it. Djinn basically reassured me it would be fine and to let me know when I was ready, and with a tentative idea, I started writing. I think I might have also shared the googledoc with him, and he loved it. He’s since helped me earn more for my blessing and I believe Maltruism was the one who initially approved it, and wrote my global, so thanks for that as well.

A shout out to Noth and Neronin for inviting me to play in Etzos and giving my character a bit of organized direction, Pash, for being ever patient with our memory thread and grading majority of my stuff, and Warren for challenging my PCs beliefs. And of course, everyone in Discord who is always so sweet to greet me, or gush over my writing (Merces). You guys are great.

14. Do you have anything else you'd like to share while you're here? The soapbox is all yours.

I just want to thank you guys for nominating or voting for me. Really crazy to have won two positions this month and I apologize for not completing this interview sooner. Also, I’m really into dream threads atm, so hit me up if you’re interested!
Image loxmardin --&-- Image Nathalie#2790 --&-- Image
Anomaly
Visionary
Advocate - Rank 3

Race: Prophet
Profession: Advocate
Renown: -1
Plot Notes
Office
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 10
World Developer (1) Dungeon Master (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1)
Ambassador (1) Supporter (1) Alpha Testing (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Survivor (1) Advocate (1)

Postby Pegasus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:11 pm

AWESOME!!! Congratulations, very very well deserved!!!
Pegasus
Ignoble steed
Storyteller - Rank 3

Profession: Telling Stories!
Renown: -665
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 22
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1)
Dungeon Master (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1)
Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (1) Puppet Master (1)
Lol Worthy (1) Storyteller (1) Holy Tax Accountant (1) Keyboard Monkey (1)
King Kong (1) Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Winner Idalos Awards 2016 (1)
Crush The Reviews! 717 (1) Crush The Reviews! 15+ (1)

Postby Noth » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:43 pm

Our friendly Kinda nice little shadowy wonder has finally gotten her spotlight. (I hope that doesn't cause damage)

So happy to see you get this award Navy, your writing is exemplary and enjoyable to read, and you're a bundle of joy to thread with. I wish you all the best as you carry on here at ST.

Credit to Pegasus

As a note: Noth is a Grandmaster in Intimidation. That means that he's at least as scary as the Count from Sesame Street. Beware.

"The tyrant confuses those he can't convince, corrupts those he can't confuse, and crushes those he can't corrupt." - Anonymous
Noth
Feathered Fiend

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Monster
Renown: -325
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Medals: 24
Character of the Month (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1)
Guild Master (1) Mentor (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
In Your Favor (1) Pioneer (2) Wanted (1) First Kiss (1)
Murderer (2) Enemy of My Enemy (1) Scandalous (1) Lol Worthy (3)
Vhalar 716 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1) Event Medal (2)

Postby Poppy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:05 pm

The good old days of role-playing in notebooks and passing them off to your friends. Odd coincidence too, I never expect to meet people who also started off role-playing like that. :lol:

But seriously, congrats Navy!! <3 I enjoy reading your threads and I hope we can write together soon as well. Please keep being awesome. :D
Poppy
Pirate Mistress

Race: Biqaj
Profession: Pirate
Renown: -30
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Medals: 1
Artíst (1)

Postby Velaine Krome » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Congratulations Navyri!!
Velaine Krome
freedom becomes her.

Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +85
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Medals: 1
First Kiss (1)

Postby Robin Stark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Congratulations!! You deserve it and more --
Robin Stark
rock my body

Race: Human
Profession: Guard
Renown: +5
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 5
Painting With Words (1) In Your Favor (1) Right In The Feels (1) First Kiss (1)
Lol Worthy (1)

Postby Linika » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:23 am

Well, well, well....

We may be one of the "less-represented" races.
But I'd say it is the Quality of that representation that is the pertinent issue here.

We, both of us, were only bested by the gods themselves.
Well deserved award, killer! :twisted:
- Poison -
"Shelf Life'...What an ironically contradictory concept."

- Linika Amarinthine -
Linika
Approved Character

Race: Naerikk
Profession: Apothecary
Renown: +74
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Medals: 7
Painting With Words (1) Alpha Testing (1) Beta Bot (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Pioneer (1) Ymiden 716 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)

Postby Yrmellyn Cole » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Yrmellyn Cole
Away for time being

Race: Naerikk
Profession: Mage Painter
Renown: +31
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 6
Story of the Month (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Dungeon Master (1)
One Arc Later... (1) Vhalar 716 (1)

Postby Rumour » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:56 pm

Congratulations, Navyri! A lovely interview, and an even lovelier character. I always enjoy your writing, so thank you for sharing it with our community. :)

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Office | Rharne | Rharne Lore | Lightning Knights | Thunder Priestesses | Merchants Guild
Rumour
Patron saint to gossipmongers.
Developer - Rank 3

Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 15
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1)
Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Puppet Master (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Developer (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Postby Whisper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Finally got around to reading this! I actually don't know much about Navyri, or I didn't before this, but I am so so so very glad you have been recognised :) congratulations! <3
Whisper
Challenge Accepted
Storyteller - Rank 3

Race: Mer
Profession: Storyteller
Renown: +394
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 16
Contributor of the Month (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Ambassador (1) Alpha Testing (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Pioneer (1) Right In The Feels (1) Starting A Family (1) Survivor (1)
Lol Worthy (1) Storyteller (1) Keyboard Monkey (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Return to Accolades