• Solo • [Losten Foundry]Mere armor doesn't make a warrior.

But it is extremely helpful!

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.

Moderator: Basilisk Snek

Gangui
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Faction Leader
Renown: 196
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Losten Foundry]Mere armor doesn't make a warrior.

Cylus 7

Gangui could barely contain the burning excitement that filled his veins. The barbarian was like a kid in a candy shop. Weapons, armor, tools, and various other objects were held up on display for all to see. Touching and lifting some items, he imagined himself slaying his opponents with greater ease and being invulnerable to the onslaught of attack. Remembering his tour of the museum a few trials earlier, he was extremely biased towards Etzorsi stylized armor. Gangui very much wanted to fit in to his new environment and help the good peoples of the city through actions of the field of battle.

"HEY! No touching!" A brawny man, with a black beard and leather apron approached. Burn marks covered his hairy bare arms.

Gangui dropped the dagger he was toying with and quickly stated his intentions, "I am known as Red Hair and I am here to get armed and armored. I came earlier and you all said to get under-padding tailored before you could fit me for armor. So here I am again,"

Gesturing at the new leather under-padding he was currently wearing, Gangui smiled ear to ear. The smith's expression remained unchanged though. This was nothing new to the men at the Losten foundry at all, "I am Gregir the Armoursmith. Well lets get a going, I don't have all day. How much gold do you have to work with?"

"400 gold nels," Gangui replied. He had more money hidden away, but he was not willing to spend it all at once, "I would like to get the best I could manage with that,"

The smithy stroked his beard for a moment and closed his eyes in thought, "Alright follow me. We will have a couple options. Are you a sword and board type of guy?"

Gangui trailed behind, "I am trained in the bastard sword and sorely need one. I've been donning this typical longsword for awhile now," Gangui said tapping the hilt of his weapon, "Though I'll take a shield if you can fit it into my package. Also, I want a good dagger."

The smithy nodded and showed him into a room were men were ringing riveted chain mail, "Now, I highly recommend riveted cobalt chain-mail, as your budget is too low to get fully functioning plate in addition to a bastard sword. We could maybe thrown in some steel gauntlets and greeves... Another option would be to go full steel plate, but I don't think I could arm you with any blade of quality,"

Gangui immediately rejected the notion of not having a good quality blade, "Nay, I rather have the good blade. Is chainmail going to protect me well enough though?"

"If you are any good with a blade, it wouldn't matter would it?" Gregir guffawed. Gangui joined in the laughter, "But with your padding and this colbalt you'll stop most projectiles we have seen and it will serve you well,"

"Alright, I am in, let us begin!" Gangui was sold pretty easily.
Last edited by Gangui on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 513
Gangui
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The process of getting fitted was much like getting fitted for his leather under-padding, but much more extensive. The journeyman did not perform the actual measuring, the apprentice did all that. When they took the measurements for his head, they had a funny little instrument to measure his dome; they measured his neck, chin, circumference of the head as well. Next the boy measured around his shoulders, around his chest, the lengths of his arms (outside and inside), the length of his sternum, his waist, his legs (outside and inside), and much more.

Despite a long time of idleness just standing there, Gangui still felt excitement. Pretty soon he would be armored to the tooth, which would provide for him much more opportunity to gain wealth. Thoughts of glory in battle filled his mind, which led to thoughts of the power that would come with it and the eventual demise of his enemies.

Once the measurements were complete, Gregir returned with a pile of blue tinted chain, "Okay so I've brought some colbalt riveted chain-mail. We don't mess around with steel when it comes to chain, it takes too long to work with, not worth the profit margin that we get from colbalt. Put this on and tell me what you think,"

With a youthful gleam on his face, Gangui slipped on the chain coif first. The smithy guffawed violently, but said nothing. The chain coif fit very tightly on his head, but it slipped on easily because of the soft, yet thick linen underpadding. Next he tried to slip on the main chainmail piece, but quickly realized why the smithy was laughing. Growling at his own stupidity, Gangui took the coif off and put the main piece of chainmail. This was also not to difficult to accomplish, though it took him longer than usual. The smithy pulled the shirt down on the back for him and adjusted it firmly on his body. The chainmail fault was even simplier to put on and he needed no help.

"Move around now, you should have completely mobility," Gregir asked.

Listening to the armorer, Gangui began to swing his arms and jump around for a bit. The get up must have weight nearly thirty pounds he was not used to being adorned with, but he found absolutely nothing constraining at all with the colbalt mail.

"It feels fantastic!" the barbarian exclaimed.

While he was doing this, the smithy left for awhile and returned with some steel plate, "Good, you still got some funds to work with, though I am not going to give you any colbalt plate," Handing him some gauntlets, the smithy threw a pauldron over his right shoulder, "This is your sword arm right?"

Gangui slipped on the gauntlets and began cinching the straps, "Aye, but why only for my right side?"

The smithy ran the straps under his arms, "Because I mean to put a shield on you as well, you won't need a pauldron on that side and you can't afford a full set anyways!"

To get the greeves on, Gangui needed to sit on the floor, but otherwise it was a simple process. The armourer returned with an arm-full of helmats and placed them on a near by table, "Alright, now for head gear. Trust me when I tell you this is the best you can purchase right now," he said pointing a particular style,"It is the hot new Etzorsi style as well. Any strikes that hit the rims on this cap will literally do nothing to you, but the rim does wear out from multiple strikes. The bottom of the rim balances out the top. Tell me what you think,"

Picking up the helmet, Gangui was surprised at the fact it weighed nearly nothing despite being relatively huge. It needed to fit over the padded chain coif after all. Putting it on, he strapped it down under his chin. It felt balanced and light and didn't obstruct his view at all, "I like it!"

"Now, I am going to try to shake it off, don't retaliate," The armorer grabbed the cap with both hands and began to shake it violently, but it would barely budge an inch, "Perfect! Now one more thing and we are done here, your shield,"

Returning just as quickly as he had left, the smithy brought back with him a round shield, "This is the best your money will buy today and it is perfect for beginners. This is how you hold it," Gregir then proceeded to show him how to hold the particular type of round shield, "Tuck your arm in and cover your shoulder...yes, you got it! Huzzah! You are now a proper warrior!"
Last edited by Gangui on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 794
Gangui
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Standing alone for while now, Gangui waited patiently for the swordsmith to have time to talk to him. Gangui marveled at himself. Pacing back and forth in the room, he performed squats and tumbles in his new armor. It was exhausting to move in it, despite still having all his mobility intact. As thoughts of training filled his mind, the sober and grim attitude that he usually embodied drowned out the child-like giddiness he had been feeling before.

A grim looking smith finally entered the room. He wore similar clothing compared to the other man, but wore no beard and his teeth were nearly gone by now, "I am Tolun, the journeyman swordsmith here. Gregir told me you were a good man looking for a good bastard sword. Come with me and you can try out my arsenal until you find the one that works with you the best!"

"Well met, Tolun," Gangui said with a stern look on his face as he followed the smith into the other room. There was a table laid out with several different high quality bastard swords for him to choose from. The barbarian was extremely superstitious about blades, for many arcs in the past he had spent in the mountains forging a single adamantite sword with his father.

Gripping the first one, Gangui immediately let it go as he received a strange feeling from it. The vibe shot up his arm and just didn't feel right at all. The sword was definately not for him, but he couldn't say why. Looking at the swordsmith, he shook his head in apology but Tolun's eyes remarked in definate understand.

Ambling slowly and solemnly, Gangui picked up the next one. It looked and felt like bravey embodied in his hands. It weight what it should and after taking a few practice swings with it felt good in his grip, but the falcrum center point of the weapon was off. The soul of the sword was definitely for one of a shorter stature and who was less bold than Gangui. The barbarian could not put words to it, but he just knew innately. Again he shook his head towards Tolun's accepting gaze.

Picking up the third sword left Gangui with a similar reaction to the first one. The fourth sword however felt magical in his hands. It was perfect for his grip. It weighed correctly and was balanced exactly on point for his liking. The boldness could not be denied. The soul of the weapon was as clear as the gleaming polish of its metal. Though it was not as great as Faldrun's Bane, Gangui viewed it as Etzos itself was embodied in the blade. Swinging it some more, he changed his mind, it had the soul of pure liberty. He loved it.

"This is MY blade! This. Is. Liberty." Gangui announced the name of the sword in a clear and deep hollar from deep within his loins.

Talun's face lit up and complete joy that he had found a home for his work, "Yes, Liberty is a great name for such a blade. I am glad you like my work. Shall I engrave the swords name for you?" Ganui nodded his approval. Cautiously and solemnly he took the blade into the back and engraved "L I B E R T Y" in all caps on the base of the blade. The process took some time, but Gangui waited patiently.
word count: 580
Gangui
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Walking out of the Losten Foundry, Gangui was quite literally a new man; he was now donned with colbalt chain, steel plate, a round shield, a new dagger, and bastard sword. He was very grateful to Gregir and Tolun, who did a righteous job in getting him suited up.

The barbarian reminded himself that this new armor came with a new responsibility; not only did this mean regular maintenance, but in fact he would now enter a realm of hardier fighting. This fact only seemed to embolden his outlook on the obstacles that he needed to overcome on his heroic journey. Acting out as an independent mercenary meant that he needed to be faster, stronger, and smarter than everyone else. The burden of the armor was a symbolic call of the righteous duty of discipline and training. The new sword on the other hand was a symbol of self-determination. It was not like Gangui needed a physical representation of the maxims his father had instilled into him before, however this served as a reminder. Every time he would unsheathe Liberty, the spirit of the weapon would guide his actions and thoughts.
Off Topic
-400 gold nels from ledger:
Bastard sword: 140 (Good quality steel 70*2)
Dagger: 6 (Good quality steel 3*2)
Roundshield: 10 (Good quality 5*2)
Plate helm: 40 (good quality steel 20*2)
Cobalt chain coif: 20 (colbalt 10*2)
Cobalt chain chausses: 20 (colbalt 10*2)
Cobalt chainmail: 40 (colbalt 20*2)
Plate Pauldron: 40 (good quality steel 20*2)
Plate Gauntlets: 40 (good quality steel 20*2)
Plate Greeves: 40 (good quality steel 20*2)
Engraving: 4 (Figured it would cover the simple letters, but let me know if it doesn't)
word count: 289
Andráska Venora
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Political Figurehead
Renown: 247
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Grading in Progress
Gangui

Skill points: 5/5/0 (Solo thread)
These points may not be used for magic.

Knowledges
NPC: Gregir, Blacksmith at Lostrun Foundry
Gregir: Has a Sense of Humor
Gregir: A Fair Businessman
Leadership: Glory Follows Well Armored Men
Smithing: Cobalt Is Better Than Steel for Chain mail
Smithing: Full Mobility Symbols a Good Fit
Smithing: Consider The Use and Budget of the Wearer
Etiquette: Laugh When Someone Makes a Joke
Shield Weaponry: The Proper Hold for a Round Shield
Endurance: Necessary for Moving in Full Armor
Negotiation: Using Set Prices to Arrange Agreements

Loot: Looks like you've already listed and calculated cost of everything, so enjoy the armor.

Fame: N/A

Devotion: N/A

Notes: Bless your soul for waiting on me. I mean it. If I could give you more points simply for patience, I would. Thank you so much. This thread was straight forward and easy to read, in my opinion. I liked Gangui's name for sword quite a bit, and I wish him the best of luck. Also, are you in need of a boxcode? Maybe I can help with that...

Also always, if you have any questions, just let me know. I'm only a pm or a chat whisper away!
word count: 214
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Etzos”